View Diary: It's time to stop mocking Native Americans.. (NFL & Lone Ranger Rant) (192 comments)

•  My problem with this controversy is that (1+ / 0-)
    South Park Democrat

the word "Redskins" is used as a team name to invoke associations of strength and invincibility.  YOu know, that's why teams have names like "Panthers" and "Sharks" and "Titans" and "Bears".  So, I've never thought of the word "Redskins" as a perjorative, but now some people want to convince us that it's the worst, most perjorative name and for some reason someone wants to use a name for their team that is as infamous as the n-word.  I'm sorry but you can hurl every epithet in the book at me and I'm sure many will.  I  just don't buy it.

And I don't know Dan Snyder - I've never been a fan of either him or the team - I think they are a uniquely ridiculous and poorly managed sports team.  Personally, I'm happiest when they lose games.  But the team had had the name for years before he ever bought it and keeping the name doesn't make him a bad person, or dare I say it, a racist.

The elevation of appearance over substance, of celebrity over character, of short term gains over lasting achievement displays a poverty of ambition. It distracts you from what's truly important. - Barack Obama

by helfenburg on Tue Jun 18, 2013 at 12:49:24 PM PDT

•  read up (1+ / 0-)
      jlms qkw
    •  "Some people?" (13+ / 0-)

That would be us Indians.

And, oh, by the way, too fuckin' bad.  Learn the history of the word and its application to us and the attempted genocide of our peoples before trying to tell me that it's not a slur, or that it's honorable.  Not remotely interested in whitesplained defenses of Snyder's open racism - and the open and proud racism of everyone who uses it and defends its use.

After having been told over and over and over again what it means and the pain it causes, keeping the name does make him a bad person.  It makes him a racist.  There is no room for debate on either of those things at this point.

Authentic Native American silverwork, jewelry, photography, and other art here.

by Aji on Tue Jun 18, 2013 at 02:28:36 PM PDT

•  And everything I said goes for . . . (4+ / 0-)

the uprater of that bit of twaddle, too.

Authentic Native American silverwork, jewelry, photography, and other art here.

by Aji on Tue Jun 18, 2013 at 02:30:27 PM PDT

•  I'm sorry but I don't consider myself a racist at (0+ / 0-)

all.  On the contrary.  I am a white person - does that make me automatically guilty of some offense?

No one person or even group of people can determine the meaning of a word.  And, while it might not make you a nice person to be inconsiderate of the opinions of others, it is his team and I guess he can call it whatever he wants.  Obsessing about it strikes me as somewhat masochistic.  And there's always room for debate, my friend.  Closing off debate means closing off one's mind.

by helfenburg on Tue Jun 18, 2013 at 03:00:28 PM PDT

•  Being white doesn't make you guilty of something. (4+ / 0-)

Being willing to ignore the voices of people who are telling you how incredibly offended they are by a term that denigrates them does.

Go tell some random black people how you feel that if there were a 'N.......s' team, it would be a compliment that invokes 'strength' or 'power'.  Or some Jewish friends that there should be a 'K....s' team.  Or a 'F.......s' team to compliment your gay friends.

The simple fact is that to the vast majority of Native Americans, those team names are deeply offensive slurs at worst, and appropriations of their culture at 'best'.

When you simply tune them out and talk about how 'everyone' gets to determine the use of words, and it's a matter of 'debate', you're helping support the status quo.

•  Hey, I didn't name the team and I don't know (0+ / 0-)

what the vast majority of Native Americans think.  I didn't tune anyone out, but I do think that being so concerned with what some jackass names his football team is kinda lame.

by helfenburg on Tue Jun 18, 2013 at 03:33:11 PM PDT

•  Football teams are extremely public. (2+ / 0-)
              catilinus, jlms qkw

They're mentioned on newscasts all the time, are written about in newspapers, talked about in offices and bars.  Imagine that there was a football team with a name you found incredibly offensive.  Every time you stumbled across it being mentioned in a newspaper of on ESPN, it would be a slap in the face to hear such a word being bandied about.

•  "I didn't tune anyone out..." What a bunch... (6+ / 0-)

....of garbage. That is exactly what you've done.

It has been suggested to you that you read up. But you don't want to be educated on the matter.

Instead, you want to maintain the wrongheaded attitude you arrived in this thread with and keep saying that "redskins" isn't perjorative, just a name that should not anger Indians, and that if it does anger us, we're "lame."

Why do you think we should be a political ally of someone who discounts our views and aggressively offers a psychiatric diagnosis—masochistic—of our views in this matter?

by Meteor Blades on Tue Jun 18, 2013 at 07:19:10 PM PDT

•  I've gotten the message that others think (0+ / 0-)

differently than I do.  You think my attitude is "wrongheaded".  That's your prerogative.  We'll have to agree to disagree.

You discount my views as much as I discount yours.  As for "masochism", it's not a psychiatric diagnosis, but a colloquial use of the word.  It has a commom meaning.

Cheers,  peace, justice and prosperity to you.

by helfenburg on Wed Jun 19, 2013 at 03:46:03 AM PDT

•  BS! Read about the meaning/history of "Redsk--s" (7+ / 0-)

Stop pronouncing to others your uneducated views and get informed:

RedSK--S & HATE CRIMES by Winter Rabbit this morning.

So one last time, "Redskin Indians" refers to literally skinning American Indians. "But his (Jackson's) Indian Fighters had a very peculiar preoccupation, that was skinning the Indians on the battlefield. "They used to make pants" it says in the video.
      Also check out what Congress members stated:
      In their letter to Mr. Snyder, Members of Congress acknowledged that “Native Americans throughout
      the country consider the ‘R-word’ a racial, derogatory slur akin to the ‘N-word’ among African Americans or
      the ‘W-word’ among Latinos.
      Such offensive epithets,” the letter continued, “would no doubt draw
      wide-spread disapproval among the NFL’s fan base. Yet the national coverage of Washington’s NFL football
      team profits from a term that is equally disparaging to Native Americans.”

The Members of Congress stated:

The current Chairman and Chief of the Penobscot Nation, Chief Kirk Francis, recently stated in a joint
      statement that the [R-word] is ‘not just a racial slur or a derogatory term,’ but a painful ‘reminder of one of
      the most gruesome acts of . . . ethnic cleansing ever committed against the Penobscot people.’ The hunting and
      killing of Penobscot Indians like animals, as declared by Chief Francis, was ‘a most despicable and disgraceful
      act of genocide.’

"It is in the shelter of each other that people live." Irish Proverb

by Patriot Daily News Clearinghouse on Tue Jun 18, 2013 at 02:58:32 PM PDT

• Hillary Clinton (18)
  • Education (18)
  • Freddie Gray (17)
  • Politics (17)
  • Racism (17)
  • Barack Obama (16)
  • Click here for the mobile view of the site