Skip to main content

View Diary: Three people killed in NC hotel by CO-leaking pool heater installed without a permit (117 comments)

Comment Preferences

  •  Always Incomplete (7+ / 0-)

    Combustion is always something less than 100% complete. There is always some CO in hydrocarbon combustion exhaust.

    Lately there's been some 96%+ (AFUE rating; CO is only a small part of the remaining 4%) efficiency propane burners that can be indoor and ventless. In traditional construction there's enough cracks and leakage that it diffuses, but even in modern "tight" insulated buildings they should be vented outdoors.

    CO is toxic by binding more tightly to red blood cells' hemoglobin molecules than does the oxygen they carry. So tightly the body can't unbind it; that hemoglobin is ruined. But the cells aren't dead, so the body doesn't destroy and replace them much quicker. Consequently, even very tiny CO concentrations add up over time, even over a few hours, if persistent. Like during the 8+ hours that young and old people sleep on vacation, in cheap motels.

    "When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro." - HST

    by DocGonzo on Tue Jun 18, 2013 at 10:42:41 AM PDT

    [ Parent ]

Subscribe or Donate to support Daily Kos.

Click here for the mobile view of the site