View Diary: GOP aide goes on popsicle-fueled right-wing publicity stunt in favor of cutting food stamps (214 comments)

•  And where is the meat in his purchases? I don't (3+ / 0-)

eat it myself, but I hear quite a few people like to make it a part of their diet.

by gustynpip on Wed Jun 19, 2013 at 10:47:24 AM PDT

•  I don't eat meat either but the things I use for (1+ / 0-)
      Catte Nappe

substitutes to fill out my diet are nowhere to be seen in his menu.
      So he buys a one pound box of spaghetti to last a week. Let's say 3 ounces of spaghetti for each dinner that would make 5 dinners. Three ounces of pasta with some spaghetti sauce - that's a meal? I guess he has a side dish of rice with his pasta.

"I'm sculpting now. Landscapes mostly." ~ Yogi Bear

by eXtina on Wed Jun 19, 2013 at 10:58:04 AM PDT

•  If you are eating on $30 a week, (1+ / 0-)
      PsychoSavannah

meat is the single most obvious thing to give up. It instantly slashed my food budget in half and I've never looked back. No meat in 40 years.

Ed FitzGerald for governor Of Ohio. Women's lives depend on it. http://www.edfitzgeraldforohio.com/

by anastasia p on Wed Jun 19, 2013 at 11:09:38 AM PDT

•  Wow. You must have been eating a lot of meat. (3+ / 0-)

I don't eat meat, either, but I doubt it's had a huge impact on my spending.  I buy nuts and cheese and such to get the protein I need, and those are hardly cheap.

by gustynpip on Wed Jun 19, 2013 at 11:19:48 AM PDT

•  meat is so cheap (1+ / 0-)
          gustynpip

hamburger and other cheap cuts, it's a lot cheaper than buying fresh vegetables that's for sure

"I'm sculpting now. Landscapes mostly." ~ Yogi Bear

by eXtina on Wed Jun 19, 2013 at 12:25:54 PM PDT

•  Hamburger isn't cheap (0+ / 0-)

I'm often horrified by the price of hamburger.  And I buy the 80% meat, 20% fat kind, not the 90% sirloin, but it's still expensive. Yes, some of the cheap cuts are more affordable, but the issue with that is that they're a lot more difficult to cook and make palatable. And usually require extras like spices. If you don't know what you're doing, a cheap cut of beef will turn into a chewy piece of leather. Which runs into another problem--poor people often have bad teeth, and it's hard to chew tough meat (or any meat, for some people) with bad teeth. I'm sure such a think would never occur to wealthy Republicans.

•  Actually IME (3+ / 0-)

it's often easier to find cheap meat than cheap vegetables, if you are buying at a supermarket. Depends on the time of year and what you're willing to consider a vegetable.

Fry, don't be a hero! It's not covered by our health plan!

by elfling on Wed Jun 19, 2013 at 12:49:14 PM PDT