View Diary: When is an apology enough (or not)? *Update - Exodus International Shutting Down (63 comments)

•  Yes, he seemed pretty clear on that: (15+ / 0-)
    I cannot apologize for my deeply held biblical beliefs about the boundaries I see in scripture surrounding sex, but I will exercise my beliefs with great care and respect for those who do not share them.  I cannot apologize for my beliefs about marriage. But I do not have any desire to fight you on your beliefs or the rights that you seek. My beliefs about these things will never again interfere with God’s command to love my neighbor as I love myself.

I would 'guess' he is speaking on behalf of the organization, since he is the President...but, I dunno.

I honestly don't know what to think of it.

I can admit, though, that I am not 'big enough' to accept the apology outright (and, tbh, it is not my place to accept it or not)...I would imagine it will take a LONG time and much evidence in 'deeds' (or lack of continuing past deeds) for his words to hold much worth.

That's just me, though.

Never argue with a fool, onlookers may not be able to tell the difference.

by Kysen on Wed Jun 19, 2013 at 06:37:30 PM PDT

•  That's the part I don't like- (12+ / 0-)

he still doesn't seem to get that no one gives a flying fuck what his beliefs are, as long as he keeps them to himself.

Most of the rest of it is okay, but I'll leave it to LGBT people to decide if it's enough.

•  I see your point... (9+ / 0-)

but, imo, that is the only part of his apology where he actually shows any intent of his deeds matching up with his words.

Without the:

and the:
        all it is is a bunch of words with no 'backbone' to them.

Which, admittedly, it is yet to be seen...it may still be just a bunch of words.

(and I agree, I don't give a flying fuck what he/they believe...so long as they don't foist it onto others)

Never argue with a fool, onlookers may not be able to tell the difference.

by Kysen on Wed Jun 19, 2013 at 06:58:17 PM PDT

•  To borrow a concept from AA.... (5+ / 0-)

....if he isn't willing to abandon his "stinkin' thinkin'," he isn't rehabilitated.  He's barely done the first step; 11 long, difficult ones are still before him.

See the children of the earth who wake to find the table bare, See the gentry in the country riding out to take the air. ~~Gordon Lightfoot, "Don Quixote"

by Panama Pete on Thu Jun 20, 2013 at 05:11:13 AM PDT

•  I don't know... (8+ / 0-)

if you insist dogmatic (they'd say devout) religious types relinquish their beliefs as well as their destructive behavior towards non-believers, that's going to be a hard sell - cause those beliefs have defined them, some for their whole lives.

If they live and let live, and agree to disagree respectfully, that would be a huge improvement.

Expecting them to reverse how they THINK and FEEL would probably be as hopeless as the other way around.

The man's wording is telling, though. He seems to be acknowledging that, up til now, he thought accepting homosexuals for who they are would require him to do just that - give up his religiosity. Become someone else. Now he seems to realize maybe that's not the case. So he's let go of his battle to convert hearts and minds (and sexual desires) to his OWN point of view.

•  Totally agree (5+ / 0-)

You can believe whatever the hell you want as long as you don't try to force those opinions on me and the rest of society.

The problem with most religion is the evangelism part where that is exactly what they try to do through recruitment and the legislative process.

It is sad that most of what you hear about religion these days is about hate and ill will towards fellow human beings from the various religions.    Instead, the message and focus of the groups should be more about love and compassion for their fellow man.   At least the new Pope seems to be headed in the right direction on this front.

•  I disagree. Not an addiction issue. As long as (4+ / 0-)

he doesn't fight to use government restrictions to impose his religious beliefs on the rest of society, and doesn't work to harm people, I think he should feel free to think what he likes.  It's his life and he should have the right to live his own life as his conscience and religious beliefs dictate.  Just don't tread on me, my friends or anyone else.

The only thing we have to fear is fear itself - FDR. Obama Nation. -6.13 -6.15

by ecostar on Thu Jun 20, 2013 at 08:20:58 AM PDT

•  No (4+ / 0-)
        Kysen, Zack from the SFV, Lujane, NWTerriD

We don't all have to think the same way to get along. I can disagree with what other people do but still concede they have the right to live their lives however they please. This is 'Merica after all.

http://callatimeout.blogspot.com/ Jesus Loves You.

by DAISHI on Thu Jun 20, 2013 at 10:15:50 AM PDT

•  Wow, that's a really high bar... (2+ / 0-)
        NWTerriD, Kysen

Just so I understand...unless a person converts to your cause wholeheartedly, they're unredeemed in your eyes?

The word "parent" is supposed to be a VERB, people...

by wesmorgan1 on Fri Jun 21, 2013 at 08:07:57 AM PDT

•  What a confused fucking mess. (1+ / 0-)
      Kysen

His gibberish is impossible to parse. Basically he seems to be saying "I am just as stupid and self-loathing as I ever was but I won't be actively trying to make others stupid as well."

If you hate government, don't run for office in that government.

by Bensdad on Thu Jun 20, 2013 at 01:17:07 PM PDT