View Diary: Poor and hungry? You must be on drugs (100 comments)

•  So a few things.... (7+ / 0-)

1)-What defines a positive?  Marijuana, a drug that practically 80% of the country has at least tried (note: I don't know the exact figure)?  Adderall which could be legally prescribed?

2)-After all this "civil liberties" stuff, its funny how they are now advocating for search and seizures.

3)-Isn't food stamp eligibility determined by your last tax report?  For example you could win the lottery but since your last annual salary was x-amount, you are still eligible for food stamps?

My personal (political) blog is at http://polliticstoday.wordpress.com My new Twitter: @RushHolt4Senate

by RVKU on Thu Jun 20, 2013 at 08:36:05 AM PDT

•  If you eat a poppy seed bagel (11+ / 0-)

in the morning and pee in the afternoon, you could test positive!

Listening to the NRA on school safety is like listening to the tobacco companies on cigarette safety. (h/t nightsweat)

by PsychoSavannah on Thu Jun 20, 2013 at 08:43:02 AM PDT

•  That's not the way it works (3+ / 0-)
      RVKU, Ice Blue, wintergreen8694

I can tell you from recent experience that at least in Washington state you have to fill out an application and submit verification of current income. If your income changes (e.g. if you go back to work after being on unemployment) you need to report and verify that and your SNAP benefits will stop if your income goes over the threshold, although maybe not right away.

They count assets too, so if you win a substantial lottery prize or sell a car, that could affect your benefits as well.

Steal a trillion, too big to fail. Steal a thousand, go to jail.

by Omir the Storyteller on Thu Jun 20, 2013 at 09:08:29 AM PDT

Omir the Storyteller

I remember hearing something in my intro to social work class a couple years ago that I thought he stated what I said.

Appreciate ya clearing it up.

by RVKU on Thu Jun 20, 2013 at 09:20:04 AM PDT

•  civil libs (0+ / 0-)

i find people are much more concerned with fantasy violations of civil liberties that require conspiracy theories than they are with actual civil liberties violations.
      see NSA spying v. Stop and Frisk - only one involves an actual violation of civil liberties

•  We reapply for food stamps every 3 months (3+ / 0-)

And what they ask for, in this state, is last 8 weeks of pay stubs (be that 4 at every two weeks, etc), an award letter for SSI, etc. I've never known them to ask for a tax return.

If they start drug testing for food stamps I guess I'll need to carry all my prescription bottles with me.The Prednisone I know will flag it. Also are they just testing the head of household or every adult in the house? What about teenagers?
      Florida already wasted so much money both in drug tests for TANF recipients and in fighting law suits against it! It's just an insane policy and I hope that portion doesn't pass.

by FloridaSNMOM on Thu Jun 20, 2013 at 10:08:49 AM PDT

•  In Indiana.... (2+ / 0-)

they look at my last income tax statement, my bank statements, would look at my W-2's and child support if that was there. They do check for life insurance and annuities, as well as what vehicles you own and want to know how much you pay in utilities and rent every month.

When you come to find how essential the comfort of a well-kept home is to the bodily strength and good conditions, to a sound mind and spirit, and useful days, you will reverence the good housekeeper as I do above artist or poet, beauty or genius.

by Alexandra Lynch on Thu Jun 20, 2013 at 11:48:53 AM PDT

•  food stamp eligibility (0+ / 0-)

Not sure about all states, but in WA you need to show last 90 days of bank statements, not just last years taxes - and there are six-month reviews.

•  You are allowed up to a certain amount of money (0+ / 0-)

Cash in hand and in your bank account. You have a month to report anything over whatever limit they have set for your case, depending whatever they take into consideration.

Most of what I have seen is under $2,000. You go over that in your total money assets, and you have to report it.

Women create the entire labor force. ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Sympathy is the strongest instinct in human nature. - Charles Darwin

by splashy on Fri Jun 21, 2013 at 02:20:47 AM PDT