View Diary: I FIXED my lawnmower: The Power of YouTube (29 comments)

•  I'm gonna check youtube now for that spring and (6+ / 0-)

lever gadget that is supposed to maintain constant rpm.

I've already tried every available library book and web page. Maybe a video will do the trick.

Reaganomics noun pl: belief that government is bad, that it can increase revenue by decreasing revenue, and unregulated capitalism can provide unlimited goods for unlimited people on a planet with finite resources.

by FrY10cK on Thu Jun 20, 2013 at 10:13:15 AM PDT

•  It's called a "governor". (5+ / 0-)

Just one of those worthless tidbits of information that I'm able to remember instead of important stuff.

If the pilot's good, see, I mean if he's reeeally sharp, he can barrel that baby in so low... oh you oughta see it sometime. It's a sight. A big plane like a '52... varrrooom! Its jet exhaust... frying chickens in the barnyard!

by Major Kong on Thu Jun 20, 2013 at 10:50:43 AM PDT

•  except I'm not sure that's what Briggs & Strattton (2+ / 0-)
        War on Error, Aunt Pat

calls this device on their 450 series lawnmower engines. "Idle spring" or some such comes to mind. I think its purpose is to maintain constant rpm as load on the motor changes. It no longer performs that function.

But yes I've seen centrifugal governors on old time engines.

by FrY10cK on Thu Jun 20, 2013 at 11:20:42 AM PDT

•  Could be (2+ / 0-)
          FrY10cK, Aunt Pat

In my understanding, the "idle spring" and screw control the RPMs at idle by limiting how far the throttle can close.

I'm pretty sure they still use a centrifugal governor on these things but I haven't worked on one in a long time.

by Major Kong on Thu Jun 20, 2013 at 12:16:18 PM PDT

•  It's a 48cc Briggs & Stratton 450 Series motor (1+ / 0-)
            War on Error

and I can't figure out how to fix those little springs and levers since I bent them (turning it over to change to blade -- yes I remembered to disconnect the spark plug).

So now it bogs down whenever I encounter heavier weeds where it use to run at a constant rpm.

I hate feeling dumb but that's how you learn.

by FrY10cK on Thu Jun 20, 2013 at 01:50:20 PM PDT

•  Found this (3+ / 0-)
              War on Error, Aunt Pat, FrY10cK

Adjusting the Governor

The springs are available from any number of sites.

Here's one:

Briggs and Stratton Parts

It helps if you have the model number.

by Major Kong on Thu Jun 20, 2013 at 02:38:13 PM PDT

• Education (26)
  • Environment (25)
  • Republicans (23)
  • Politics (23)
  • Barack Obama (22)
  • Police (20)
  • Click here for the mobile view of the site