View Diary: Another Boehner Fail: House rejects Boehner-backed farm bill (147 comments)

•  I'm at my little small town grocery store, (26+ / 0-)

in line behind a very pregnant young woman with a toddler in the cart seat. She is checking out a meager bag and a half of groceries. In her hand, she is holding NY state food stamps.

Oh no! She tried to buy unauthorized goods with her benefit. She picked up a bottle of juice cocktail instead of 100% juice!

The bag girl took it to take it back to the shelf.
    "What should I bring back for you?", she asked the young customer.
    "Anything but apple juice. We still have some apple juice."

The bag girl goes away and comes back with a bottle of grape juice. 100% grape juice.

Oh no! It's unauthorized! It's a 64 ounce bottle and she can't buy more than 48 ounces of juice in one container (ruling out warehouse stores where her benefits might go the farthest)!

The bag girl takes the grape juice back and returns with a smaller bottle of grape juice.

Oh no! Unauthorized goods again! The grape juice in the bottle is made from concentrate! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO!  Bad poor person! You can't have that!

The bag girl takes the bottle back and returns with a can of frozen orange juice. That's right- frozen CONCENTRATED orange juice.
    The cashier runs the bar code through and it takes! Yay! They can have concentrated juice as long as they're the ones that add the water! Hooray for NY State Government regulations!

The young lady looks at me apologetically and says, "You know, I wouldn't use these damn things if I didn't NEED to."
    "I know," I said. "Who would?"

Any rightie lurkers who might read the above, this is just how it happened. You want to bitch about SNAP buying tobacco, beer, candy... how about bitching about the bureaucratic hoops, the nonsense the poor have to put up with, not to mention your disdain, while you're at it? I could not believe what this young woman went through. I'm glad it was me and not some unsympathetic asswipe in line behind her.
    I kept picturing the committee of bureaucrats that dreamt up those restrictions. I fantasized about lining them up and slapping them as hard as I could.
    Or worse, making THEM live on food stamps with their very own regulations enforced.

Peace is not merely a distant goal that we seek, but a means by which we arrive at that goal. - Martin Luther King, Jr.

by Gentle Giant on Thu Jun 20, 2013 at 11:55:57 AM PDT

•  that sounds like WIC (11+ / 0-)

are NY foodstamps that restrictive?

WIC is very restrictive. You can 2 shit tonnes of dried beans and 40 gallons of milk. But no meat or vegetables.

•  Rant On! nt (4+ / 0-)

When someone is impatient and says, "I haven't got all day," I always wonder, How can that be? How can you not have all day? George Carlin

by msmacgyver on Thu Jun 20, 2013 at 12:03:10 PM PDT

•  I was behind (5+ / 0-)

someone buying food with WIC coupons, and the people behind me thought the customer and the checker were moving too slowly. But the coupons specify the kind and size of bread loaf, and everything else.

I've hear of people going nuts on programs like this, because they're dealing with a lactose-intolerant kid and they have to buy milk, not something the kid can actually have.

(Is it time for the pitchforks and torches yet?)

by PJEvans on Thu Jun 20, 2013 at 12:11:17 PM PDT

•  On the other side - NYC has been working (0+ / 0-)

to make Green Markets accessible to people with food stamps. It's funded by the City Council.  Outreach to enroll all the Green Markets is underway. It's a really good start.

It supports local farmers, and especially could help to bring green markets to more communities, not just affluent communities.

Farmers that don't sell all their produce sometimes dump what doesn't get sold, just to avoid depressing prices.

I'd like to see the city go farther and set up an end of the market discount, say for the last hour of the day. For anyone with financial hardship, e.g. disability, unemployment, food stamps, and many others, could buy the remaining produce at a 2:1 discount, with the city sharing the discount with the farmer. It would really support  citizens access to fresh produce, and would really help local agriculture.

"They did not succeed in taking away our voice" - Angelique Kidjo - Opening the Lightning In a Bottle concert at Radio City Music Hall in New York City - 2003

by LilithGardener on Fri Jun 21, 2013 at 08:50:53 AM PDT

•  I have occasionally been behind someone (0+ / 0-)

paying with food stamps, when something was declined.

When that has happened to us, I interjected myself and told the teller to set that item aside for me. Then before ringing up my other goods, I pay cash for the item and immediately give it to the person.

Just a little something we do as economic stimulus. We know it's supporting our community and supporting out local businesses.

by LilithGardener on Fri Jun 21, 2013 at 08:59:43 AM PDT

•  I did offer to buy the (0+ / 0-)

64oz bottle of grape juice for her, but she declined.

by Gentle Giant on Sun Jun 23, 2013 at 02:29:47 PM PDT