View Diary: Daily Kos Elections Morning Digest: Polls show no sign of a late surge for Gabriel Gomez (41 comments)

•  How is it possible that Scott Brown (0+ / 0-)

could run for U.S. Senator from New Hampshire?  Doesn't NH have any residency requirements, or are they so lax that he would qualify by moving into the state a few months before the election?  Or has he already moved in?

"In this world of sin and sorrow there is always something to be thankful for; as for me, I rejoice that I am not a Republican." - H. L. Mencken

by SueDe on Fri Jun 21, 2013 at 06:29:59 AM PDT

•  The Constitution only requires that a Senator (8+ / 0-)

be a resident of the state at the time of being elected. RFK moved to New York a few months before his election there, as did Hillary Clinton.

"One of the greatest tragedies of man's long trek along the highway of history has been the limiting of neighborly concern to tribe, race, class or nation." Martin Luther King, Jr.

by brae70 on Fri Jun 21, 2013 at 06:32:55 AM PDT

•  Article I section 3: (2+ / 0-)
      SueDe, Christopher Walker
      No Person shall be a Senator who shall not have attained to the Age of thirty Years, and been nine Years a Citizen of the United States, and who shall not, when elected, be an Inhabitant of that State for which he shall be chosen.

by brae70 on Fri Jun 21, 2013 at 06:37:04 AM PDT

•  Constitutional requirements I understand. (0+ / 0-)

But aren't the states allowed to add requirements, such as residency requirements, for their states?  I thought New York was one of the few states that allowed "carpetbaggers" to run.

by SueDe on Fri Jun 21, 2013 at 06:47:42 AM PDT

•  Actually in this case the consitution reigns . . . (4+ / 0-)
          Loge, Adam B, SueDe, Eric Nelson

So aside from the 22nd ammendment(Presidential Terms), state laws cannot govern Federal term limits

In U.S. Term Limits, Inc. v. Thornton decided in a 5(Stevens, joined by Kennedy, Souter, Ginsburg, Breyer) -4(Thomas, joined by Rehnquist, O'Connor, Scalia) vote:

From the judgement:

Finally, state-imposed restrictions, unlike the congressionally imposed restrictions at issue in Powell, violate a third idea central to this basic principle: that the right to choose representatives belongs not to the States, but to the people. ... Following the adoption of the 17th Amendment in 1913, this ideal was extended to elections for the Senate. The Congress of the United States, therefore, is not a confederation of nations in which separate sovereigns are represented by appointed delegates, but is instead a body composed of representatives of the people.
    •  I think he owns a cabin up there (2+ / 0-)
      JBraden, SueDe

Anyway he isn't going to run in NH, he would get a bigger butt kicking than he got from Warren.

•  Your lips to God's ear. (0+ / 0-)

I figured he was poised to make too much money to care about a senate seat anymore, unless his defeat by Warren still burned and he lusted for power and fame.

by SueDe on Fri Jun 21, 2013 at 10:55:35 AM PDT

•  Local reporter (1+ / 0-)
          SueDe

David S Bernstein, who knows what he's talking about most of the time, says Brown is not finding post-Senate life as lucrative or fun as he'd hoped. He expects Brown to run for something, probably Governor, next year.

"I am not for a return to that definition of Liberty under which for many years a free people were being gradually regimented into the service of the privileged few." Franklin D. Roosevelt, 1934

by fenway49 on Fri Jun 21, 2013 at 12:13:40 PM PDT