View Diary: Daily Kos Elections Morning Digest: Polls show no sign of a late surge for Gabriel Gomez (41 comments)

•  I don't like that. (0+ / 0-)
    Absentee ballot requests are down significantly from the 2010 special election that elected Scott Brown; only 49.7K ballots have been requested, compared with 63.6K at the comparable point in 2010.
    If Mass. Dems lose another easy layup, I'm done with them.
    •  Many reasons for AB requests being lower (6+ / 0-)

Many elderly and retired folks winter in Florida - the 2010 special was held in January. Weather in January can also be messy, and it did snow on election day - I don't think we need to read much into this.  And I hope you're not done with me - I work hard to get Dems elected!  Many of my firends told me I worked harder than Martha Coakley did in that special...

Follow our efforts to turn Southern Worcester County (MA) blue! Greater Blackstone Valley Dems

by AnotherMassachusettsLiberal on Fri Jun 21, 2013 at 09:08:35 AM PDT

•  I voted for Markey by absentee today, (1+ / 0-)
        fenway49

as I am having cataract surgery on Monday. The officials were quite lenient in my town, which is mostly Dem. although other city and town clerks are more stringent.

In any case, the low turnout won't necessarily hurt one party more than the other.

"One of the greatest tragedies of man's long trek along the highway of history has been the limiting of neighborly concern to tribe, race, class or nation." Martin Luther King, Jr.

by brae70 on Fri Jun 21, 2013 at 10:31:44 AM PDT

•  no election is an easy layup (2+ / 0-)
      brae70, Parthenia

the horses have to run around the track even when one seems to be the clear favorite

Politics is like driving. To go backward put it in R. To go forward put it in D.
      Drop by The Grieving Room on Monday nights for support in dealing with grief.

by TrueBlueMajority on Fri Jun 21, 2013 at 09:40:18 AM PDT

•  You're done with us? (1+ / 0-)
      brae70

Yes, there was Scott Brown. The only Republican elected to the Senate from MA since 1972. Later in 2010, when the rest of the country was embracing the Tea Party, we were re-electing 10 Democrats to the U.S. House, where we haven't had a Republican since 1996. We also were busy re-electing a progressive governor, and keeping an 80% state House and 90% state Senate. Our LG, AG, Treasurer, SoS, and State Auditor are all Democrats. Obama got 60% here twice, we elected Elizabeth Warren over a popular incumbent, and held all our House seats, one despite major personal scandal.

We're on our fourth Senate election in four and a half years. We've still got a great GOTV effort, polls showing a lead as big as 20, a HUGE gender gap, and and we're going to be 3-1. I bet there are Democrats in about 45 other states that would love to be us right now.

As I've said elsewhere and as is said by others here, there are plenty of reasons (not least of which are snow and snowbirds) for more AB requests in January than in June.

"I am not for a return to that definition of Liberty under which for many years a free people were being gradually regimented into the service of the privileged few." Franklin D. Roosevelt, 1934

by fenway49 on Fri Jun 21, 2013 at 12:23:16 PM PDT

•  And the guy that won that '72 seat, Ed Brooke, (1+ / 0-)
        fenway49

was agruably to the left of many of today's Democrats. He was to the left of the man who defeated him in '78, the late Paul Tsongas. Brooke was labor-union endorsed, as I recall.

by brae70 on Fri Jun 21, 2013 at 01:58:38 PM PDT

•  That's right (1+ / 0-)
          brae70

He's not the kind of guy who'd fit in in today's GOP, where Scott Brown and Gomez somehow constitute a left flank.

by fenway49 on Fri Jun 21, 2013 at 03:17:08 PM PDT