View Diary: Open thread for night owls: About one-fourth of all incarcerated people on Earth are in the U.S. (90 comments)

•   Prison industial complex mathematics (18+ / 0-)
    Why have U.S. incarceration rates skyrocketed? The answer is not rising crime rates. In fact, crime rates have actually dropped by more than a quarter over the past 40 years. -
    emphasis addded
             Plus AA's which on average vote for Democrats targeted for marijuana laws
    Perhaps the single greatest contributor has been the so-called "war on drugs," which has precipitated a 12-fold increase in the number of incarcerated drug offenders.
    equals profit

Added benefit for republicans: convicts can't vote but states with prison still receive Federal monies for the prison population

•  The implications of this are near endless. (13+ / 0-)
      The U.S. incarceration rate has more than quadrupled since 1980. It's now the highest in the world, just ahead of Russia and Rwanda. It is estimated that approximately 2.3 million Americans are now behind bars. This is about one-fourth of all the incarcerated people on Earth, though the U.S. represents only one-twentieth of the world's population. When the figures for those under probation and parole are added, about 1 in 18 U.S. men is under some form of monitoring or control. The figure for blacks is 1 in 11.

The Americas greatest political dynasty...the Kaan

by catilinus on Thu Jun 20, 2013 at 09:51:37 PM PDT

•  Police state statistics. There can be no argument (8+ / 0-)

about what is being done when so many are imprisoned. Five times as many as Britain. Seven to ten times most other civilized democratic nations.

What else do you call a country where that is done? Where so many are locked away?

by YucatanMan on Thu Jun 20, 2013 at 11:15:41 PM PDT

•  touching it with a needle, I would just say (1+ / 0-)
          bigjacbigjacbigjac

that when anyone (including myself, but also noting you are not doing that) is tempted to say, "we're just like the Nazis" in some regard...I check myself by recalling something pointing to the opposite...Hitler's several documented comments to contemporaries (though without of course anyone grilling him exactly what he meant) that in his settlement plans for Eastern Europe he was merely following OUR example within a very accelerated time-frame.

So I think I'd view the trajectory more as an ever expanding settler state based on greed and paranoia, then a police state, but that uses elements of a police state mercilessly on targeted groups (which can shift to include other groups or expand geographically globally).

The Americas greatest political dynasty...the Kaan

by catilinus on Thu Jun 20, 2013 at 11:43:56 PM PDT

•  It will be interesting to see how the demographic (4+ / 0-)

changes taking place in the US will affect this situation.

Yes, I agree, the police state has been mostly focused on certain groups, primarily racial starting with Native Americans, Blacks, and Latinos. Then organized labor and others. The "Drug War" was a nice touch.

But never on the bankers. Particularly these days.

I wonder if people remember that under George H. W. Bush, hundreds of bankers and savings and loan board officers and so on went to prison for significant terms. And were stripped of their gains in some cases.

Today, looking back is not important, unless you are an OWS protester, then we can look way way back into your background and also spray you in the face with pepper spray for good measure.

by YucatanMan on Fri Jun 21, 2013 at 12:11:27 AM PDT

•  Jefferson loosely defined police state... (2+ / 0-)
          YucatanMan, Eric Nelson

...and I think he's just as relevant today as he was 230+ years ago.

"When the people fear the government, there is tyranny. When the government fears the people, there is liberty".

"I wish to have no connection with any ship that does not sail fast, for I intend to go in harm's way." John Paul Jones

by ImpeachKingBushII on Fri Jun 21, 2013 at 02:49:51 AM PDT

•  For all Jefferson's abilities, (2+ / 0-)
            JeffW, Eric Nelson

he was hardly infallible. For one thing, he was a slave holder. As far as I'm concerned, that quote is one of the sillier things he said (if he actually said it). When the government fears the people, then the government will inevitably take steps against the people. For an example of a nation where a government has legitimate reason to fear the people, but can do little or nothing about it, look at Somalia.

•  well Old Sailor uid 824659... (1+ / 0-)
              YucatanMan

...it appears we must agree to disagree, especially where it concerns...everything you said.

by ImpeachKingBushII on Fri Jun 21, 2013 at 08:23:01 AM PDT

•  Lol! Everything?!?! (0+ / 0-)

Good luck trying to demonstrate that Jefferson (or anyone) was infallible...and that he was not a slave holder. I wonder of you take that patch of purple prose about refreshing the tree of liberty with the blood of tyrants seriously. And how can a slave holder actually believe that "all men are created equal" unless he had a very narrow definition of "men"? Methinks I'm dealing with a Paulista here.