View Diary: Colorado GOP Organizations Endorse Pro-Gun Romance Author To Challenge Senator John Morse (D-CO) (46 comments)

•  "..doesn't make someone bad or ineligible..." (6+ / 0-)

No, but it doesn't inspire much confidence when that's the lead line of your resume as you run for public office. Kinda no-fitty.
    Of course, the campaign logo with the slaughter weapon pointed at her head is a bit offputting, too.
    Overall, not what I'd consider a prime candidate, though I may be wrong.

If I ran this circus, things would be DIFFERENT!

by CwV on Fri Jun 21, 2013 at 10:32:53 AM PDT

•  I'm not saying she's a prime candidate. (3+ / 0-)
      CaliSista, wonderful world, G Jones

I haven't come out to support Erika Harold's candidacy in IL, either, even though her fellow Republicans have been treating her like crap here.

I object to using the FACT that she writes romances as a negative and defining characteristic. John Ringo, a very politically conservative author, writes science fiction books, but I doubt if he ran for office people would use that to demonize him.

•  Was that his claim to fame? (3+ / 0-)

I don't know any of these people, so I'm asking, not telling. She is described that way in the first article I saw about her in HuffPo and that appellation wasn't offered negatively. If she was already a public official or was known for some other reason, then the romance novel thing would just be part of her "color". But if it's the biggest thing she's done, again, it isn't a disqualifier, but it's not a real confidence builder, either.

If I ran this circus, things would be DIFFERENT!

by CwV on Fri Jun 21, 2013 at 10:50:05 AM PDT

•  Third paragraph above seems pretty patronizing (2+ / 0-)
          wonderful world, G Jones

to me. Re-read it and tell me what you think.

I admit this is one of my issues, though. As a woman and a romance reader, I'm tired of seeing romances snickered at as if they're all the same and all bad, especially on the Left where I think we should know better. I think of it as part of the war on women, as romances are mostly aimed at and written by women.

•  Thanks, allergywoman (1+ / 0-)
            allergywoman

There are variations in romance authors just as there are in any other field.

The fact that she writes is this woman's 'hook'...just as 'businessman' was Mitt Romney's.

It's a way to get voters to remember her and to distinguish her from the crowd.

A weapon that is also a treasure is certain to be used. Hero for Hire.

by wonderful world on Fri Jun 21, 2013 at 11:18:14 AM PDT

•  No kidding. (2+ / 0-)
              wonderful world, G Jones

Again, not endorsing her, just objecting to my perceived unfair characterization. :)

•  I have to respectfully disagree. If it were a male (1+ / 0-)
              ColoTim

romance writer, I believe the same criticism would be given. I don't read romance novels, and have nothing against the novelists. I had no idea they were written predominantly by women. I guess you'll have to take my word on that.

This has nothing to do with her being a woman. I am a woman, and a pro-women's' rights activist, if you check my diaries. I would never write something that would encourage advocate the war on women.

And I would go after a male in the same way. Look at her  endorsers. GOP, AmmoLand, NRA... I am so sick of children and adults dying due current lack of gun-safety laws, and  I  denounce someone who is trying to recall John Morse because he is gun-safety. If being a romance writer is the biggest credential Bubis has, to run for office, then I would have a problem with that --even if she/he was a Democrat.

I respect you, allergywoman.

"In this world, hate has never yet dispelled hate. Only love can dispel hate." ~ Buddha

by Leslie Salzillo on Fri Jun 21, 2013 at 12:01:46 PM PDT

•  I have not read one of her books. However, (1+ / 0-)
        DefendOurConstitution

the couple of romance books I've peeked at, which I've been assured were typical, were not written for an audience that practices critical thinking skills.  The one book I have read of that level (at least aimed at adults rather than aimed at teenagers or younger and that stuck in my head) was the first of the "Left Behind" series.  I imagine from what I've read on DKos the Ayn Rand material might be similarly aimed at lower reading comprehensions.  In a similar vein, most sports books I have read are also not aimed at complex issues - they're aimed at describing action and fact; they're not usually driving at motives, seeking to weave seemingly disparate plots into a cohesive whole or full of allegory.

I grant you that her romance novels might be unusual for the genre and actually show critical thinking skills, creative plots and complex subject matter.  If her writing is in this genre, it would inspire me to believe she's unlikely to be capable of understanding the complexities of bills being brought before the legislature.  Sure, she could be writing to a level below her capabilities - in my opinion, she probably is.  I'll be looking for proof of that as I hear news and read about her continuing campaign.  If she's truly like Sarah Palin, however, I think that's Sarah Palin's level of writing, so that would worry me if I were the GOP.

I would also, however, believe she would be bringing a point of view that would be different from most if not all of the other legislators in the Colorado Senate and she might be representing her constituents at their level.  After all, she doesn't have to understand the legislation - that's what ALEC is for, after all.

•  I haven't read her stuff, either. (3+ / 0-)

I have read widely in romance as a genre, however, and I can assure you there is a variety of writing within it, including portrayals of PTSD, spousal and child kidnapping, that get very little play outside of it.

I am not defending her per se. I am saying that simply, without more, denigrating her FOR WRITING romance is unfair. As it would be unfair to denigrate any candidate for writing it.

I think it would be better to focus on her policy positions, which do seem terrible, rather than her genre of writing.

•  The denigration is not for writing romance novels (2+ / 0-)
            Leslie Salzillo, ColoTim

per se, merely that it is not a profession that seems remotely connected to politics, and thus does not recommend her as a replacement to the leader of one of the state's legislative chambers. Although I have to admit, if she were, say, a dentist, you would not be seeing as much mockery.

They tortured people to get false confessions to fraudulently justify our invading Iraq.

by Ponder Stibbons on Fri Jun 21, 2013 at 12:02:38 PM PDT

•  Al Franken was a comedian (1+ / 0-)
      Mildly Unsuccessful Lurker

and he has been a quiet but extremely effective senator.

“Conservation… is a positive exercise of skill and insight, not merely a negative exercise of abstinence and caution…” Aldo Leopold

by ban nock on Fri Jun 21, 2013 at 12:30:18 PM PDT

•  Yes, but he had done the groundwork for years (2+ / 0-)
        pvasileff, Leslie Salzillo

with getting to know and support the politicians in Minnesota.  They had his back when he ran for the seat.  It also helped that he is really smart.  I don't know about this woman, but from her list of accomplishments in the linked article, she doesn't hold a candle to what Al Franken had accomplished.  Granted he ran for a state-wide office and she's just running for a state Senate seat, but he worked long and hard for it.

•  Al Franken had a liberal/progressive radio talk (1+ / 0-)
        ColoTim

called Air America then changed to the O'Franken Factor, from 2004 - 2007. He was a left-wing breath of fresh air during the Bush years and prior. He also wrote, 'Rush Limbaugh Is A Big Fat Idiot.'

Al Franken was very political before running for office. I think he ran because he saw that was one way to create change. I love the man. He's up there with Elizabeth Warren and Bernie Sanders for me.

However - Ronald Reagan Schwarzenegger were actors before taking office in CA - and I'm sure they caught a lot of flack for that. Criticism and 'digs' pretty much go with the territory of running and taking office.

by Leslie Salzillo on Fri Jun 21, 2013 at 02:27:48 PM PDT

•  I never caught his show but our liberal radio here (0+ / 0-)

is mostly a screech fest. When you just listen to the sound not the words they are no different than the other side of the dial.

by ban nock on Fri Jun 21, 2013 at 02:46:04 PM PDT