View Diary: Ohio School Bans African American Hairstyles (143 comments)

•  it is a distraction.... (1+ / 0-)
    zenbassoon

remember these people want uniforms.

You shall know the truth, and the truth shall make you mad. Aldous Huxley

by murrayewv on Sat Jun 22, 2013 at 03:47:19 AM PDT

•  Then make everybody wear a hat (1+ / 0-)
      zenbassoon

The same hat. Everybody. Including teachers and administration.

•  Actually, I feel differently about uniforms. (3+ / 0-)
      zenbassoon, SueDe, joynow

When many kids are wearing hand-me-downs of their neighbor's cast-off Walmart clothes or thrift store clothes (after the hipsters and Ebayers have gone through and picked out all the good stuff) and OTHER kids are wearing $500 jeans and and dresses that cost more than my first car, I really see the value of uniforms.

Tiffany's new $3000 handbag IS a distraction in science class. It's designed to attract attention. That's why her Mom bought it for her.

No, Tifi can leave it at home, carry a standard issue backpack and wear a uniform. It really does make it easier for everyone to learn when material things that most students cant afford aren't flashing all over the classroom.

Plus, students (teens, in particular), need a lot of sleep. If they know what they're going to wear each day, they can sleep an extra 10-15 (or more) minutes.

My line is material things (like clothing) vs your person (such as your hair).

© grover

by grover on Sat Jun 22, 2013 at 12:26:40 PM PDT

•  I completely agree (2+ / 0-)
        zenbassoon, grover

I think there's a place for uniforms in schools where, as you point out, some kids couldn't "keep up" in fashion arms races, or where clothing rules can teach "community norms."  NOW:  I understand the fascistic possibilities of "community norms," and it's easy to abuse.  My daughter is about to go to a high school with a great principal.  He's young, energetic, very fair, very hands-on with the students, and he apparently turned this school around the past five years.  One of the things he does is walk around with those little plastic pull ties, like you use to hold a bunch of wires together.  If he sees a guy with his pants droppin', he uses a tie to cinch a couple of the belt loops together.

I freaking love that, because I believe it's offensive and unacceptable for high schoolers to show their underwear in public, and it's a statement that the school isn't going to allow ail chic.

A 47% return on investment--that's pretty doggoned good!

by deminva on Sat Jun 22, 2013 at 05:40:55 PM PDT

•  When I taught in Arkansas, the principal had rope- (2+ / 0-)
          deminva, grover

the boys had to wear a rope belt.

As far as uniforms go, where I just recently taught, shoes were the status.  An insult was telling someone they got their shoes at Wal Mart.  And this was in the city with the poorest neighborhood in Indiana.

"Nothing in all the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity." --M. L. King "You can't fix stupid" --Ron White -6.00, -5.18

by zenbassoon on Sat Jun 22, 2013 at 07:14:28 PM PDT

•  Aw jeez. (1+ / 0-)
            zenbassoon

Kids will always find a way to be cruel to each other, won't they?

© grover

by grover on Sat Jun 22, 2013 at 10:43:11 PM PDT

•  Hell, they made fun of my shoes--I had some (0+ / 0-)

loafers I bought at Wal Mart.  I made the mistake of answering the question "Where did you buy your shoes".

Of course I didn't tell them that I have my running shoes custom fit.

New Balance.  American made by union workers.

by zenbassoon on Sat Jun 22, 2013 at 11:46:09 PM PDT