View Diary: Obama Derangement Civics (269 comments)

•  So, let me get this straight (4+ / 0-)

It's the people doing their level best to address his POLICIES, not HIM PERSONALLY, who ARE emotionally invested in him.

Those who take every criticism of his POLICIES as an attack on him PERSONALLY, who support HIM regardless of how far to the right his policies drift, and who rubber stamp him on the same things they likely opposed when they were done by Bush, are NOT emotionally invested.

Is that correct?

~ Jerry Garcia

by DeadHead on Sat Jun 22, 2013 at 01:36:53 AM PDT

•  I applaud your effort... (4+ / 0-)

but methinks your pursuit of logic in this situation is futile, best abort the mission. I have percocets and weed.

I sing praises in the church of nonsense, but in my heart I'm still an atheist, demanding sense of all things.

by jbou on Sat Jun 22, 2013 at 01:48:53 AM PDT

•  lol (3+ / 0-)

Sounds like a party.

Except weed makes me too paranoid nowadays. Especially the good shit.

In fact, every drug either makes me paranoid or perpetually jonesing. Gone are the days when they worked as advertised and actually got me high.

But that's a whole other story.  sux2bsober.

~ Jerry Garcia

by DeadHead on Sat Jun 22, 2013 at 03:48:45 AM PDT

•  Level best to address his policies...lol (1+ / 0-)
      Jeff Simpson

Gosh, that would be a change of pace.  A good proportion of them don't even seem to comprehend that we have three branches of government, let alone distinguish institutions within the Executive Branch.  Only a minority seem willing to even acknowledge the President doesn't control Congress, let alone that not every institution of the Executive Branch is a dictatorship.

We had a front page diary claiming the ACLU lawsuit was against "The Whitehouse" - aka, the Executive Office of the President - but neither the President nor any staff classified as White House employees were mentioned in the brief as defendants.  That's what I'm talking about when I say that a lot of folks just don't seem to care about facts.  I mentioned the factual error and nothing was done to correct it.  Tying it to Obama was more important than communicating the facts of the situation.

"She's terse - I can be terse. Once, in flight school, I was laconic." -Wash

by Troubadour on Sat Jun 22, 2013 at 01:53:44 AM PDT

•  Ok, so you're cherrypicking users (5+ / 0-)

to fit your narrative. I accept that. I suppose I'm doing the same thing when I say "those who do their level best..."

Because I WILL concede there are indeed some people here who are a bit extreme. But anyone saying that extremism is unique to one side is being intellectually dishonest.

There are plenty of critics who write passionately but back up their diaires with facts. Standing opposite them are those who post diaries with "snark" "comedy" "ha ha just kidding" types of tags that allow their mocking and scorn of those with whom they disagree to be plausibly denied. I can tell you, it's transparent as fuck.

People aren't fucking stupid. They see this for what it is. You know that, and so do the other well-known diarists who post these types of diaries. And to feign outrage when people push back just further insults people's intelligence.

So there are people who care about facts, and people who don't. There are people who fuck up and have a bad day, and those who make a point of ignoring facts. On both sides.

For every example of idiocy you can come up with, the other side can provide a counter example. I guarantee it.

The difference? One side puts out a lot more diaries denigrating the other side than that other side does. Lately, at least.

Because if that other side were to but out diaries mocking that first side, they'd get a lot more HRs than you got tonight.

We all know what happens when diaries use the words "Obama," "worship," "cult," "cheerleaders," or "ObamaBot" together.

~ Jerry Garcia

by DeadHead on Sat Jun 22, 2013 at 03:34:51 AM PDT

•  Ah, the old "a few bad apples" routine. (0+ / 0-)

A few bad apples put a Godwin attack on the Rec List for days on end.

A few bad apples routinely and persistently ignore facts in Rec Listed diaries in order to push a predetermined narrative.

A few bad apples respond to any and all criticism of the above with virulent character assassination, brazen and hypocritical ratings abuse, and spamming any diary with smarmy slanders and WATB bitching when they detect skepticism or impious humor directed at their pathology.

And always this few bad apples are only ever held accountable - to the extent they are at all - because the rest of us get sick of tolerating it, at which point you become outraged that they have the audacity to stand up for themselves.

Oh, but "both sides do it."  Where else do we hear that?  We hear it when the Republican-owned media wants to make excuses for the naked criminality of the Republican Party.  You don't appear impartial making such a claim: It looks exactly like what it is - excuse-making for the lopsided record of indefensible behavior and reality-mauling by the pathocracy you've aligned yourself with for whatever reason.

I respond to factual diaries with factual inquiries and thoughts, not bitter, resentful flailing expressing my outrage at being told facts that don't suit my prevailing mood and preferred narrative.  And I respond to humor with humor, not with petulant jihads against the blasphemous infidel who dares to besmirch my precious beliefs by holding up a mirror to them.  That makes my approach radically different from the one I get in return.

If I carefully, painstakingly prune out every single molecule of information that could possibly offend the pathocracy from a factual diary, what results is not acknowledgement or intelligent discussion.  In fact, no intelligent discussion is possible without offending them, and not much discussion at all can happen if I'm careful not to, because basically the choices with those people (and you seem to edge toward their camp) are (1) Agree with them, or (2) Shut the Fuck Up.  No in between, no rejecting the premise, no alternative.  Agree or shut up.  And it's the attitude they have toward the universe.  Saying they're wrong makes you a miscreant in their eyes, but proving it makes you evil incarnate.

This is how Republicans think, and now it's how a number of Kossacks think.  That's pathetic, and you better believe I will mock and ridicule it mercilessly.

"She's terse - I can be terse. Once, in flight school, I was laconic." -Wash

by Troubadour on Sat Jun 22, 2013 at 04:18:46 AM PDT

•  Hah hah hah. You funny too. (3+ / 0-)
            DeadHead, SpecialKinFlag, TheMomCat

Ah, the old "a few bad apples" routine.

Obama Derangement Civics
            If you didn't enjoy this diary, it's not my fault - it's that damn Obama.  Stop being such a bootlicker trying to blame me instead of the guy with the real power.  The buck for diary quality stops with him.
            The jokes, sometimes they write themselves.
            •  Thank you, sir. (2+ / 0-)
              ek hornbeck, SpecialKinFlag

You just saved me a lot of time.

I'd buy Troubadour a nice full length wall mirror if I could afford it.

~ Jerry Garcia

by DeadHead on Sat Jun 22, 2013 at 04:45:54 AM PDT

•  You mean, if you could come within 10 feet (0+ / 0-)

of a full length mirror without falling madly in love with it.

"She's terse - I can be terse. Once, in flight school, I was laconic." -Wash

by Troubadour on Sat Jun 22, 2013 at 04:58:36 AM PDT

•  So mere insults now. (2+ / 0-)
                  DeadHead, SpecialKinFlag

That's all you're capable of.

•  I've made a good faith attempt to reason with you (5+ / 0-)

I've even conceded some points. Yet you're incapable of stepping outside yourself for even a moment to consider the fact that, yes, you might do some of the same shit you so sanctimoniously accuse others of doing.

It's everyone else's fault. Fine.

~ Jerry Garcia

by DeadHead on Sat Jun 22, 2013 at 05:50:39 AM PDT

•  You've made an attempt to hedge (0+ / 0-)

by offering unreasonable compromises that paper over flagrant abusiveness with ludicrous false equivalencies and then count yourself the height of civility for it.  Well done.  You're ready for an MSNBC anchor job.

"She's terse - I can be terse. Once, in flight school, I was laconic." -Wash

by Troubadour on Sat Jun 22, 2013 at 05:55:30 AM PDT

•  Wow. You really are truly oblivious (5+ / 0-)

Good luck with your efforts.

You're a real bridge-builder.

~ Jerry Garcia

by DeadHead on Sat Jun 22, 2013 at 06:08:51 AM PDT

•  I tell the truth and don't suffer liars and fools. (0+ / 0-)

I'll obviously never be Ambassador to Japan, but I guarantee that I'll never knuckle under to bullies, nutjobs, or  the spineless Group Thinkers who enable them.

I've seen my party turned to jelly in the face of Republicans because of them, and I've seen it betrayed because of them both in the leadership and the rank-in-file.  I've seen critical national problems ignored while they diddled around with self-aggrandizing bullshit issues to make their fee fees tingle, and then cite their own impotence and failure as evidence of how right they are about everyone else.

I am not interested.  I offer facts, thoughts about facts, possible solutions to problems, and occasionally humor about the problems we face because that's what human beings do.  Human beings, not fucking pious commissar-priests of the Holy Church of Idle Contempt of which you are an egregious apologist.

"She's terse - I can be terse. Once, in flight school, I was laconic." -Wash

by Troubadour on Sat Jun 22, 2013 at 06:26:52 AM PDT

•  Ah, non sequitur. (0+ / 0-)

The other favored pastime of the pathocracy.

"She's terse - I can be terse. Once, in flight school, I was laconic." -Wash

by Troubadour on Sat Jun 22, 2013 at 04:57:59 AM PDT

•  I don't think you know what that means. (1+ / 0-)
                DeadHead

I quote you in this very thread, this exact diary which you wrote.

I hardly know how to get more specific.

•  You quoted me without purpose (0+ / 0-)

then quoted me again without connection to the first quote, then randomly said "The jokes, sometimes they write themselves," because I guess the second best thing to having a point is pretending you do.

People with weak minds who paper over gaping holes in logic probably would believe that you'd made some sort of brilliant observation when you've said nothing and made no point whatsoever.

I guess it's a God of the Gaps sort of thing - the more vacuous you are, the easier it is for the viewer to fill in the blank if they have some reason to want you to have made a point.  How very efficient.  Here, let me try.  (ahem)

1.  There once was a man from Nantucket...
                  2.  Roses are red, and violets are blue...
                  3.  Ergo, ipso facto, the jade falcon was beneath the old oak tree.  (nods meaningfully)

Clearly the above statements prove that you are all sorts of foolish, and that I am all sorts of brilliant.  Right?

"She's terse - I can be terse. Once, in flight school, I was laconic." -Wash