View Diary: Hopes Come True: Netroots Nation will visit Detroit, Michigan in 2014 (35 comments)

•  traffic will be a nightmare in 2014 (4+ / 0-)
    kayla9170, mrsgoo, a gilas girl, LordMike

I 96 is going to have construction going on from I275 to Telegraph, which will effect traffic coming and going to Ann Arbor.  Plus they are going to be doing construction on I75 from 8 Mile to M59, I94 is going from Conors to I96, these last two I don't know the dates.  The I96 bridge construction is supposed to take the full year I believe.  The information has to be verified, but we live off the service drive of I96 and I walk my dog across the overpasses and bridges every day, and know I will have to figure out how to reroute our walk.  A couple of the bridges will be totally rebuilt.  The I75 and I94 involves them adding lanes.

•  Hopefully some of our on-going construction... (2+ / 0-)
      mrsgoo, 714day

projects will be toned down around the Netroots Nation Conference time. There's always Michigan Avenue or Telegraph to MI Ave. as an alternative route.

Michigan based Citizen Journalist Owner/Podcast host at Independent Underground News at http://www.rojsnews.com and our weekly radio show Independent Underground LIVE at http://www.blogtalkradio.com/rojsradio.

by kayla9170 on Fri Jun 21, 2013 at 09:54:51 PM PDT

•  What's the deal on the Ambassador Bridge rebuild? (1+ / 0-)
      kayla9170

Off the top of my head, I think I would fly in the Saturday before, commute from St. Joachim across to Detroit for the Wed/Thur days then get a hotel for Fri/Sat and fly home Sunday or Monday. hmmmm..... Maybe some enterprising Canadians will have hotel/bus deals out of Windsor!

if a habitat is flooded, the improvement for target fishes increases by an infinite percentage...because a habitat suitability index that is even a tiny fraction of 1 is still infinitely higher than zero, which is the suitability of dry land to fishes.

by mrsgoo on Fri Jun 21, 2013 at 10:55:47 PM PDT

•  There is possibly.... (1+ / 0-)
        mrsgoo

Some minor construction will go on in the summer on the Ambassador Bridge but that's it. The new "International Bridge" will take another 5 years or so to build.

Also, there's another route via the tunnel (under the Detroit River) you can take from Canada (otherwise known as our friendly neighbor to the North).

by kayla9170 on Fri Jun 21, 2013 at 11:19:45 PM PDT

•  I almost forgot about the tunnel. Usually hit DTW (1+ / 0-)
          kayla9170

and i-94 to the bridge which drops you right onto the 401 to the folks house. I can make it in 45 minutes. Well, as long as you get a friendly customs agent!

But don't forget! Windsor is technically South of Detroit.

The only part of Canada that is south of the United States.

Yo, paging Adam B - got a Pub Quiz question for ya!!

And yes - the tunnel brings you out within walking distance of Cobo. If I only had a dime for every time I've been through that thing.

Maybe this will finally be the motivation to quit smoking - look honey! I saved all this money so you CAN'T bitch about me going to NN14.

And - I moved to CA from MI in '88 when I was still 27. So 2014 will basically mark 50% of my life in CA and 50% in MI.

Sure good to see folks like you active. It may be the only hope MI has is the independent news outlets. Snyder has really screwed over my home state.

by mrsgoo on Fri Jun 21, 2013 at 11:39:02 PM PDT

•  You're RIGHT! (0+ / 0-)

Windsor is to the South! I almost forgot.

The Tunnel is the alternative way besides Blue Water Bridge.

I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE Canada by the way. Never forget the Hubby and I trip to Niagara Falls via Canada's QEW Highway while driving on the bike (Motorcycle). Talk about an awesome ride, great roads and spectacular views for miles. Never, ever will forget looking down at Hamilton while driving passed the city on the bike -- the most beautiful sight I have ever seen.

Yes, without Independent Media, we would have quite an informed public in Michigan. MLive does a Okay job but the major news resources (known newspaper names and local broadcast stations) for the most part -- not so much.

by kayla9170 on Sat Jun 22, 2013 at 12:15:46 AM PDT

•  wow-that WILL be inconvenient. On the other (0+ / 0-)

hand, somewhat encouraging that they are undertaking--god forbid--infrastructure projects in Michigan.

If the plutocrats begin the program, we will end it. -- Eugene Debs.

by livjack on Sat Jun 22, 2013 at 07:19:47 AM PDT