View Diary: VW will not expand in Chattanooga unless labor is represented - updated (165 comments)

•  Seriously. (19+ / 0-)

I am going to have to figure out where my jaw dropped....

Would have to look at VW again for a set of wheels if I can ever find the $$.

I find it interesting that VW has pointed out it is their only plant in the world that doesn't have a work council. One worker is still suspicious because he thinks this is being forced and it should only be voluntary.

Sad that the idea an international  business has good reason to know that keeping communications open with employees and working to keep them healthy and satisfied with their jobs is to the company's benefit is so foreign to American workers.

Now what VW, with solar powered factories, needs to do is an electric car.

by Ginny in CO on Sat Jun 22, 2013 at 09:13:41 AM PDT

•  Just bought one (6+ / 0-)

A couple of months ago I picked up a new Jetta.  Very nice car for the money.  I think you can lease them for around $160 a month.

The meek shall inherit the Earth that the stupid destroyed.

by CharlieHipHop on Sat Jun 22, 2013 at 11:40:30 AM PDT

•  In Mexico, the VW workers are generally (5+ / 0-)

very happy with working there.

And in Mexico, they keep old model body styles going which you can buy at cheaper prices than the latest and greatest.

So, for example, for a Jetta, you can buy a brand new car just like today's Jetta sold in the USA.  You can also buy a "Clasico" which looks just like the Jetta's sold in the USA in the early 2000s.

Most of the rest of the world has a lot more options, and frequently more affordable, than the US market.

by YucatanMan on Sat Jun 22, 2013 at 01:05:42 PM PDT

•  Great idea. (2+ / 0-)
        Ginny in CO, Dirtandiron

The guitar industry has no problem making up an occasional batch of an old (and I mean decades-old) model, or simply keeping them in production for decades.  (Think how long the Fender Telecaster and Stratocaster and Gibson Les Paul models have been made.)  I guess it's harder to do it for a car...

The '60s were simply an attempt to get the 21st Century started early; don't mistake an unfulfilled dream for a lost one. A dream has no deadline!

by Panurge on Sat Jun 22, 2013 at 06:00:08 PM PDT

•  "GM Classics" (0+ / 0-)

The car makers should bring back their most popular classic cars from time to time, much how Disney re-releases its old cartoon movies every few years.  The reissued 55 Chevy with its classic mid-century styling is sure to appeal to today's retro-kitsch obsessed hipster youth.

Of course, the reissued Corvair is probably a recipe for a new round of class action lawsuits.

Poor people look for work. Middle class people find a job. Rich people seek employment.

by k4pacific on Sun Jun 23, 2013 at 04:51:30 AM PDT

•  Funny... (0+ / 0-)

After all this time, it seems "retro-kitsch" has finally made it up to the '70s.  When I see retro-kitsch being invoked now, it seems to be an old Dodge Charger or something like that as often as a '50s car.  It's an awfully slow process, when you think about it.  I've always thought of it as the left wing of the effort to repeal the '60s, so I've never liked it.

by Panurge on Mon Jun 24, 2013 at 08:48:21 PM PDT

•  VW investing $100 million in fuel cells (3+ / 0-)

From:  http://tinyurl.com/... (three months ago)

Canadian fuel cell firm Ballard Power inked a deal with Volkswagen that could be worth as much as $100-million and last up to 6 years.

According to the CBC, Ballard will provide fuel cells for VW’s HyMotion hydrogen lineup, which will consist of a demonstrator fleet for now. Long a darling of North America’s clean energy sector, Ballard’s automotive fuel cell business began to turn south over the last decade, and in 2008, Ballard sold its automotive fuel cell assets to Daimler and Ford.