View Diary: Anatomy of Hate: Dissecting ODS Comments (88 comments)

•  Hmmm. (10+ / 0-)

I don't think I've ever seen anyone work quite so hard to try to insult the other half of this community under the guise of intellectual analysis, much less utilizing pseudo psychobabble.

When you have to pre-emptively request that other TU's HR diary participants, perhaps it's a good idea to step away from your keyboard and ask yourself, "is this REALLY a constructive diary? How will this help progressives achieve our goals?"

I'm on record as being a consistently strong supporter of the president. I've been called a fangirl, in fact. My history speaks for itself. So if anyone wants to accuse me of having a make-believe malady, go right ahead.

When there is racism, we need to call it out immediately, and HR it. When there are people propounding right wing talking points, we absolutely call those out, and quite likely HR them, depending how egregious they are. Ignorant people get educated. Illogical thinking gets set straight

But this? This? This is a personal attack on those with whom you disagree. I just don't get at all...

Why don't you read Horace's diary today about sockpuppets being placed by the military-industrial complex?  Perhaps many of the people you accuse of psychopathology are actually quite sane and here to agitate, stir up trouble, and splinter our progressive community.

Now re-read your diary, and ask yourself, did you just help them further their goals?

No HR from me, but certainly no rec either. I'm just shaking my head, having no idea why in the world you would write this diary, except to insult and perpetuate grudges.

© grover

by grover on Sat Jun 22, 2013 at 10:23:08 PM PDT

•  Your interpretation is simply wrong. (1+ / 0-)
      Patate

I'm highlighting a problem that is compromising the coherence of our community's response to issues and discouraging many contributors.  I've had private communications where I was strongly urged to continue writing diaries like this so that people could feel safe to post reality-based information rather than feeling besieged by unreasoning hate orgies directed at them and at our own team in general.

"She's terse - I can be terse. Once, in flight school, I was laconic." -Wash

by Troubadour on Sat Jun 22, 2013 at 10:28:29 PM PDT

•  Ah yes, the private conversations. (8+ / 0-)

I'm so glad that I rarely have those, and when I do it's about dogs,veterinary issues, recipes, and stuff like that.

These private conversations do seem to be at the root of many of this community's conflicts --  from my removed perspective, at least.

Ok. Well. I gave you my thoughts.

If I'm "simply wrong" as you say,  then I guess I'm wrong.  {shrug}

I'm heading out now.

Have a good evening.

© grover

by grover on Sat Jun 22, 2013 at 10:36:14 PM PDT

•  I wasn't saying that was the reason (0+ / 0-)

"She's terse - I can be terse. Once, in flight school, I was laconic." -Wash

by Troubadour on Sat Jun 22, 2013 at 10:54:58 PM PDT

•  Honestly? How stupid do you think we are? (0+ / 0-)
             I wasn't saying that was the reason ...I write about this - it's just that the things I'm told support my own perceptions of what's going on.
            So you can't read what you just wrote. Or your words don't mean what they say.

Or is this where you tell me I'm simply wrong again?

What's sad is that I support the President, as you do.

But I'm not going to stand by while someone insults much of the community and then misrepresents his motivation for writing the diary.

I really have no idea what's going on in those "private conversations."

But openly, I'm asking for this sort of crap to stop. If people can't speak to each other about politics  on the boards as adults, they probably should rethink why they're here.

© grover

by grover on Sun Jun 23, 2013 at 11:37:09 AM PDT

•  She's right about one thing, at least. The call (1+ / 0-)
        Brecht

for HRs was both totally unnecessary (it's been happening without your mentioning it) and probably counterproductive in terms of avoiding the worst of the pie fights.

At least half the future I've been expecting hasn't gotten here yet. Sigh.... (Yes, there's gender bias in my name; no, I wasn't thinking about it when I signed up. My apologies.)

by serendipityisabitch on Sun Jun 23, 2013 at 06:56:41 AM PDT

•  And by the way, I should add, (5+ / 0-)

a lot of people you're writing about are likely people who drive me absolutely crazy with their black and white thinking.

That still doesn't mean that your diary is appropriate.

We're a community. That word means something, like that when I bump into that same person in a diary on another topic, we have a friendly exchange or even work together to elect a congressman or raise money for a deserving charity together.

Can't do that when we divide into camps and hate each other.

© grover

by grover on Sat Jun 22, 2013 at 10:30:14 PM PDT

•  Reality is not a camp. (1+ / 0-)
        Patate

And frankly its advocates are a lot more welcoming of differences than people suffering from ODS.

"She's terse - I can be terse. Once, in flight school, I was laconic." -Wash

by Troubadour on Sun Jun 23, 2013 at 12:06:19 AM PDT

•  You're assuming your reality is the same as (0+ / 0-)

Everyone else's.

(Why, oh WHY, do I have to keep repeating that sentence on dailykos???)

Did you read second gen's excellent diary last night? (Still on the rec list right now)

Do you know that a lot of the people you accuse of being reality-impaired are veterans and their families?  And we don't know how many other members might be active service (or familiy) who prefer not to disclose that fact.

Your reality is not THE reality.

© grover