View Diary: Pet Food Recalls (44 comments)

•  In the beagle world (8+ / 0-)

(which you clearly are a part of), the one thing that tends to drive us all crazy is a beagle named Snoopy. It's just not right.

I think Charlie Brown is a great name for a beagle. The irony is perfect. And almost as much as their dinner, treats, stretching out the human bed, snoozing in  a warm sunny place in the back yard and rolling in something stinky, beagles love irony.

I just walked into my office after hearing a bit of thumping around, and saw my beagle walking on her hind paws, trying to reach the fresh bread cooking on my higher-than-the-beagle-can-reach table.

"Hey, whacha doin'?" I asked her?

"Keeping the bread safe." her very serious look explained, as she returned to all fours and walked very calmly out of the room.

Beagle irony.

© grover

by grover on Sun Jun 23, 2013 at 02:53:12 PM PDT

•  OMG! (8+ / 0-)

There rolling is stinky stuff. All 3 would do that constantly.
      I carry shampoo now when I go to the river.
      Charlie will wade, but doesn't swim.
      I think it is a fair tradeoff. She stinks, I bathe.
      I agree on naming a Beagle Snoopy.
      My grandpa used to call me Charlie for some reason, so the name fit.
      My last dog was Beagle Bailey.
      I read that they have 2 brains.
      One to their ears and one to their nose.
      When the nose brain is engaged, all bets are off.
      I spent over a year trying to keep her in the yard.
      She can climb fences and trees.
      Does you dog lay on its back, too?
      Higher then Beagle reach?
      One thanksgiving we were all in the living room and she came in with a whole cube of butter.
      Noses and tummies :).

Gitmo is a Concentration Camp. Not a Detention Center. Torture happens at Concentration Camps. Torture happens at Gitmo. How much further will US values fall? Where is YOUR outrage at what the United States does in OUR names?

by snoopydawg on Sun Jun 23, 2013 at 03:27:52 PM PDT

•  My beagle could climb K2 if she chose. (5+ / 0-)

I have a table in the middle of my office, a pedestal table, no chairs around it. Far enough from bookshelves or other furnishings that she can't do the "climb and lean" or "climb and jump" thing.

It's the only beagle-proof thing in the house.

Thus far.

I expect one day to see her rappelling from the ceiling lighting fixture, having gained access to the attic when we weren't looking.

As for your fence, with my JRT mix is a jumper, we stapled galvanized hardware cloth to the top of our 6' high wood fence.

Then about halfway up, we bent it in, so any jumpers/climbers are working against gravity.

We tell our friends that it's easy to find our house. It looks like a penitentiary.

It's pretty transparent once you stand back from it, so the neighbors don't care at all. And it's obviously a lot less costly than building an additional 3 feet of fence on top of existing fence.

We hoped it would dissuade the squirrels, but they simply run on top of the part that is bent in. They think it's their personal thoroughfare.

There is NO outsmarting the squirrels without letting the hounds loose on them.

And I won't do that. The kiddos have to co-exist with the squirrels. It's a mutual hate-hate relationship.

Keeps them all busy, I figure...

And totally off topic, THAT ---->>>> is an obnoxious Darwin's Dog Food ad. Creepy Google Ads. I rather like Darwins, but I had "personalized" ads.  Ick.

© grover

by grover on Sun Jun 23, 2013 at 04:46:59 PM PDT

•  I remember one summer evening (7+ / 0-)

a little more than 30 years ago, when I came back inside after talking to some neighbors and finding my parents' beagle Sparky on the kitchen counter eating leftovers.  I thought it was hilarious.

•  Oh yeah (2+ / 0-)
            enhydra lutris, grover

never leave a Beagle unattended around food.
            Or garbage.
            Or rotting fish.

by snoopydawg on Sun Jun 23, 2013 at 10:23:35 PM PDT

•  Thanks for the laughs (2+ / 0-)
          enhydra lutris, grover

rappelling Beagles. I swear they lie awake half the night thinking of these things.
          Thanks for the info on the fence.
          I am unemployed and have had Charlie for 18 months so she only knows me being home
          I keep thinking of what I will do for her when or if I get a job.
          My first Beagle finally had to go on a pulley system from the house to the tree to keep her in.
          The only other fence was redwood.
          I will look in to that.
          It will be hard to do because I have so many twiggy trees ad dead wood around the fence.
          Gawd, if I didn't love her so much, I would throw her back in to the pond.
          They really are something.
          One really has to know what they are getting to even consider one.
          I took a Beagle Break for awhile.
          Just so tired of fighting with them

by snoopydawg on Sun Jun 23, 2013 at 10:22:12 PM PDT

•  We always joke that we will put her on the curb (1+ / 0-)
            snoopydawg

In a crate with a Free To Good Home Sign.

She'll get snatched up immediately because she's so dang cute. Those folks will drive away thrilled, an adorable dog AND a crate! For free!

Two hours later, those people will be at our door with our beagle, offering $50 for us to take her back.

;)

Ours is a particularly naughty one. Our friends love the stories. She has been through years of training, so she is very well behaved outside of home. They meet her and say, " "I can't believe this is the same dog. Your stories can't possibly be true."

I always ask them, do you want to take her for a weekend?

My friends always seem to be VERY busy over the weekend....

© grover