View Diary: Bookflurries-Bookchat: What Were They Thinking? (163 comments)

•  i just wanted to not let (10+ / 0-)

tolkein get away w/ it . . . that's all.  when his colleague had female characters.

not on the quality of the fiction writing.

Ted Kennedy: “The work goes on, the cause endures, the hope still lives, and the dream shall never die…”

by jlms qkw on Wed Jun 26, 2013 at 07:36:41 PM PDT

•  Yes... (5+ / 0-)

but we must agree to disagree b/c although Tolkien was unabashedly only writing great male characters, Lewis was writing Christian characters...get thee behind me wife satan.

IOW, I think the true misogynist was Lewis. I think Tolkien wrote a couple of terrific female elves...okay, he was an Oxford don and didn't know much about women -- neither of them did.

I'm just saying, I'll take the guy who can write over the guy who's trying to preach through his (lousy) writing ANY day.

Irony takes a worse beating from Republicans than Wile E. Coyote does from Acme. --Tara the Antisocial Social Worker

by Youffraita on Wed Jun 26, 2013 at 07:52:00 PM PDT

•  Way Da' Minute! (7+ / 0-)

Oxford dons DID spend huge chunks of their days with male colleagues -- much like Japanese businessmen did.

Tolkien really loved his wife and half-dozen children, and I think he preferred to spend more of his last decade with them rather than in writing or being famous.

Lewis lived constantly with Mrs. Moore between WWI and her death circa 1945 -- the mother of an army buddy. Members of his circle destroyed any clues to what their actual relationship might have been, to be fair, but I know what I think.

Joy Davidson not only changed the old raconteur's private life in the 50's, but he wrote a fabulous novel called Till We Have Faces, a retelling of Eros and Psyche, while they were both dying of cancer.

Lewis was a much more humble man as he faced the end, but was also warmer, funnier, and even open-minded.
        Just as S-F fandom in the USA was getting to know the man via his generous interviews, he passed away.

I believe that his constant pressure on Tolkien for weekly Hobbit tales was critical in making Lord of the Rings happen at all -- and I tend to blame Bullfinch, Howard Pyle, et al for the paucity of women characters in Middle Earth.

Millions of us – the majority – must come together to insist that President Obama and the Democrats stand up and fight for the things we sent them there to do ... Michael Moore

by MT Spaces on Wed Jun 26, 2013 at 08:19:02 PM PDT

•  Um. Okay. But (7+ / 0-)
          I dunno. I just know that Tolkien was a terrific writer...

and Lewis was not.

(ducks and covers)

by Youffraita on Wed Jun 26, 2013 at 08:26:15 PM PDT

•  (laughing) (5+ / 0-)

I much prefer Tolkien's deep love of legends, and think it brought out the best in him.

Lewis was amazingly popular after Out of the Silent Planet and the (bleeping) Screwtape Letters -- he was even a radio star, doing the "apologies" he later edited into Mere Christianity.

Despite The Hobbit, Tolkien was almost "lost" in Lewis' literary "shadowlands" until Ballantine's paperback edition of Lord of the Rings struck millions of nerves in the mid-60's.

by MT Spaces on Wed Jun 26, 2013 at 08:42:46 PM PDT

•  Hated Perelandria Trilogy. (2+ / 0-)
              MT Spaces, cfk

Why?

Too didactic. By the time I read it I'd already become too sophisticated a reader to gladly accept some idiot trying to beat his point across.

Sorry, buddy. Learn To Write or else Give Me Your Pencil.

You Are Not Worthy:

well, that's how I felt about C. S. Lewis, anyway.

My opinion of his writing has not changed over the intervening decades.

by Youffraita on Fri Jun 28, 2013 at 12:38:24 AM PDT