View Diary: A Tale of Two states. MN vs. WI. And yes Virginia, there is a difference between the two parties. (183 comments)

•  Lived in both states (5+ / 0-)

Wisconsin (Madison) and now in MN (Minneapolis).

Mpls-St. Paul is a far larger conurbation than anything in Wisconsin, despite the fact that Wisconsin has the larger population.  Madison is a lovely place, but too small.  Milwaukee is a lot larger, but having been there several times, is pretty 'blah'.  It lives in Chicago's shadow.

Mpls-St. Paul on the other hand is large enough to sustain great business and great culture and attract people from all over, sustaining progressive vibrancy.

And then you have the Iron Range and Duluth.

Be of good comfort, Master Ridley, and play the man; we shall this day light such a candle by God's grace in England as shall never be put out.

by Bollox Ref on Mon Jun 24, 2013 at 07:08:05 PM PDT

•  Well, you'd be surprised to know that MKE (13+ / 0-)

has had interesting ratings in the "non-blah" categories of things like "bike-friendly" and "LGBT friendly" and "exciting" (not the top-rated but in the running).

It has reasonable traffic. It has lovely parks (that, thanks to Walker's tenure as Co Exec, are not supported as they should be). It has the Bucks and Brewers if you care for such things. It has a quality art museum, several smaller art museums, a fantastic public museum (legacy of socialist governments for many years during the 20th century), a children's museum, a ballet company, a symphony, several theatre companies, an opera company. It has several universities (heard of Marquette?)

It has some unique things like Summerfest that bring in folks from the region every summer, and "ethnic" fests all summer long that also draw from the region as well as the state.

I don't think anyone living in MKE believes that it lives in Chicago's shadow. Chicago is another beast altogether.

•  Milwaukee's problem is it's suburbs (16+ / 0-)

It seems like the Twin Cities suburbs want to be connected to Minneapolis and St. Paul, and the progressive vibe bleeds over the area. By comparison, Milwaukee's suburbs are filled with vile racism, and go out of their way to punish the state's biggest city.

Now that the GOP Legislature and the GOP Governor are controlled by people from those Milwaukee-hating suburbs, the negativity surrounding the city has gotten worse. Which angers me, because Milwaukee is a great city- progressive, beautiful in places, and should be a rising star. But because of its suburbs and the hate radio hosts that gear their material toward suburbanites, the city and the state is held back.

Or as we put it in Wisconsin, the problem isn't the 414, it's the 262. So go to Summerfest these next 2 weeks, but don't spend a dime outside the city.

•  Yep, the state has it in for MKE (7+ / 0-)

and racism plays no small part.

•  Bingo! (5+ / 0-)

I live in Minnesota and work for the state of Wisconsin.  I've spent the last few years trying to figure out exactly how and why things have unfolded as they have in Wisconsin.  The unique politics of the Milwaukee suburbs are absolutely central to this story.

In the 1970s and 1980s, suburbs all over this country went through a period of intense white flight/conservative backlash politics that helped propel Reagan to the presidency.  In most metro areas, this backlash politics has mellowed and the suburbs have been trending democratic ever since.

In Milwaukee, by contrast, white flight backlash politics has become even more intense over the years.  The hatred and disdain for the city of Milwaukee in the suburbs is like nothing I have ever seen, and the result is massive Republican majorities in the three suburban counties surrounding the city.  This is Scott Walker's base-- people who are willing to drop a bomb on their own suburban public schools in order to stick to the "you know whats" in the city.

For me, the really important question is what explains the psychosis that has gripped the Milwaukee suburbs.

•  I grew up in Ozaukee County (4+ / 0-)
            Satya1, I love OCD, scribeboy, doraphasia

Which is the county north of Milwaukee in the 70's and early to mid 80's.  The outright racism was pretty subtle when I was growing up, but now it is just an accepted part of the culture in the ring counties.  Most who didn't move out of those counties have become radical racists.  My parents continued to live in Ozaukee County until about 5 years ago and I was able to go back and see it first hand quite often.   Many of my high school classmates have jumped on the crazy train.  And you are correct, it continues to get worse every year.

Fascism: The conservative notion that killing people makes them work harder

by madtowntj on Tue Jun 25, 2013 at 07:22:26 AM PDT

•  MKE means Milwaukee apparently n/t (1+ / 0-)
        ER Doc

The sun's not yellow, it's chicken. B. Dylan

by bgblcklab1 on Mon Jun 24, 2013 at 07:59:30 PM PDT

•  Convenient abbreviation for a city (4+ / 0-)
          GrumpyOldGeek, ER Doc, avsp, doraphasia

that doesn't abbreviate nicely. :-)

It is official. I see it on my luggage tags and there is even a magazine with that name!

•  Just a minor peeve (0+ / 0-)

I had to look it up.

The sun's not yellow, it's chicken. B. Dylan

by bgblcklab1 on Mon Jun 24, 2013 at 08:22:28 PM PDT

•  MKE is likely to be read as Mike or Mickey (0+ / 0-)

If that's the first thought, there's less chance that Milwaukee will easily come to mind.

I naturally read this as Milwaukee. I'm a pilot. But I tend to spell out city names in full these days. It's probably a consequence of my genealogy research.

Milw. seems like it should be an obvious abbreviation, but not if we're talking about Milwaukie, Oregon.

There's another airport in Milwaukee id'd as MWC. Timmerman Field. It's located just a few miles away from the big airport, MKE.

Chicago is, of course. ORD (from the long-gone Old Orchard Airport). Unless Chicago is MDW (Midway).

And Hartford, CT is BDL (Bradley Intl), actually located in Windsor Locks, CT.

Just pondering....

"Never wrestle with a pig: you get dirty and the pig enjoys it"

by GrumpyOldGeek on Mon Jun 24, 2013 at 10:40:43 PM PDT

•  I love airport abbreviations and your ORD story (1+ / 0-)
              GrumpyOldGeek

answers a question I have had for a long time. I wish I could still get non-stop flights from MKE to BDL since my daughter attends college in Western MA and otherwise flights are more of a pain. I hail from LAX myself but of course that city has a nice, tidy abbreviation everyone knows.

Portland people refer to their city as PDX. Or at least some do!

•  Your might include MHT as an option (0+ / 0-)

That's Manchester, NH, now called Manchester-Boston Regional.
                Jet Blue just started service at the Worcester airport, too.
                Even Albany might not be out of the question, although it's a much longer drive.

My wife and I are both seasoned road warriers and we really have fun finding the more creative transportaion options. It's a challenge.

You quickly learn how to deal with flight cancellations and other delays. Unfortunately, the current nickle-and-dime airlines eliminate many of the old techniques. Taking an earlier or later flight, switching airlines, and flying standby costs extra these days.

Most smaller and regional airlines can't buy gates or facilkities at the big airports. Their only option is to provide service at smaller airports.

One of my creative flights was a $70 round trip between Worcester, MA and Sanford, FL. I live in SW NH now and my parents had retired in Lakeland, FL. Normally, I'd be looking at direct flights at Manchester, Hartford, maybe Boston, and Orlando orTampa. Then I spotted a daily round-trip intro from the brand new reincarnation of Pan Am Airlines. Really.

And the best part of the trip was watching a crew fire up the four big round engines of an antique Lockheed Constellation parked across the field at Sanford. They need to run the engines about once a month to preserve them. It wasn't airworthy and they didn't taxi at all. But you could hear those big engines through the soundproof glass at the teminal building a half mile away. And the belching blue smoke from the oil settled in the bottom cylinders was spectacular.

Another memorable frugal flight was a $50 one-stop flight from Dallas to Atlanta. It was cheap because the one stop was Minneapolis. The fare for the direct Dallas-Minneapolis leg was over $300, iirc. Same airplane, different flight numbers.

I bought the $50 ticket, carried my baggage, and stepped off in Minneapolis, my destination.

"Never wrestle with a pig: you get dirty and the pig enjoys it"

by GrumpyOldGeek on Tue Jun 25, 2013 at 04:26:43 PM PDT

•  Oh, and the MiKE has been used (1+ / 0-)
              GrumpyOldGeek

so don't create a start-up start-up with that name. :-)