View Diary: Why voting rights are under assault (236 comments)

•  I hear that anecdotally, but the numbers don't (0+ / 0-)

seem to support it.

LG: You know what? You got spunk. MR: Well, Yes... LG: I hate spunk!

by dinotrac on Tue Jun 25, 2013 at 01:09:12 PM PDT

•  Did you see the fucking lines in Florida? (5+ / 0-)

How many didn't even leave the hours long lines because they
      didn't even get in line in the first place?
      And, the numbers you quote above do not tell the whole story.
      5+ hour lines to vote = voter suppression

Ask me how Obamacare has helped my family.

by cosette on Tue Jun 25, 2013 at 01:13:29 PM PDT

•  I don't live in Florida, but no, long lines do not (0+ / 0-)

equal voter suppression.

Voter suppression might equal long lines (which is a very different statement), but long lines can also be the result of unexpected turnout and/or bad planning, or malfunctions.

Voter suppression, as it is being bandied about here, requires a deliberate attempt to prevent people from voting. Incompetence may have the same result, but isn't voter suppression.

Given the numbers, it's hard to believe that an effective voter suppression campaign took place.

That doesn't, of course, mean that an incompetent voter suppression campaign didn't take place.

LG: You know what? You got spunk. MR: Well, Yes... LG: I hate spunk!

by dinotrac on Tue Jun 25, 2013 at 01:17:42 PM PDT

•  I stood in one of those lines in Florida. (5+ / 0-)
        cosette, CwV, dinotrac, a2nite, Ahianne

It took me over an hour to vote. The place was packed. The young people came out in DROVES--no exaggeration!  Retch Scott and his Tallahassee Repuke cronies are asking for big trouble next year. Signed, Tipped and Recommended!

Some people make u want to change species! --ulookarmless, quoted w/his permission: RIP good man.

by orlbucfan on Tue Jun 25, 2013 at 01:18:01 PM PDT

•  Because non-voters can't be counted (3+ / 0-)
      WakeUpNeo, a2nite, Ahianne

but there were news stories from every corner of the country that showed the lines, interviewed people in the lines and some who gave up or had to keep other commitments.
      This happened. And it happened all over the country. Even here in deeply blue CT, the lines in Hartford (predominantly black) and Bridgeport (predominantly minority) were in some cases over 8 hours, while in my lily-white town on the shoreline, the wait was 10 minutes at the peak. They had to hold the polls open in BPT. a couple extra hours for the people who DID stay.
      But I guess you missed that, huh?

If I ran this circus, things would be DIFFERENT!

by CwV on Tue Jun 25, 2013 at 01:17:41 PM PDT

•  Again, multiple reasons are possible for long (0+ / 0-)

lines, and suppression is only one of them.

Funny thing, though.
        If the numbers are to be believed, those suppressed voters came out in greater force than your lily-white neighbors.

LG: You know what? You got spunk. MR: Well, Yes... LG: I hate spunk!

by dinotrac on Tue Jun 25, 2013 at 02:04:22 PM PDT

• Hillary Clinton (18)
  • Education (18)
  • Media (16)
  • Racism (16)
  • Politics (16)
  • Barack Obama (16)
  • Click here for the mobile view of the site