Skip to main content

View Diary: Just what have you got in there? IAN: July 18, 2013 (81 comments)

Comment Preferences

  •  "slow fires" is library jargon for the deteriorati (2+ / 0-)
    Recommended by:
    weck, Kit RMP

    on of old-fashioned high-acid wood-pulp paper -- like so many books & mags from the 30's (and still!!) on were printed on. slow fires is what makes older book pages tear, brittlely, and disintegrate when you try to turn the page.

    You may remember there was a big hoo-rah about "acid free paper" and "archival quality paper" about 20 years ago? That was the publishing industry figuring out that people were interested, and technical improvements happening in paper manufacture.

    there was a film by a researcher bringing the problem to public attention back in 1987. there's a good stub with links at Wiki.

    "real" work : a job where you wash your hands BEFORE you use the bathroom...

    by chimene on Thu Jul 18, 2013 at 08:38:56 PM PDT

    [ Parent ]

    •  OK, I don't need a fire extinguisher near the (1+ / 0-)
      Recommended by:
      Kit RMP

      bookcase, I just need to re-read very gently.  Thank You!

      If love could have saved you, you would have lived forever. &

      by weck on Fri Jul 19, 2013 at 08:32:42 AM PDT

      [ Parent ]

Subscribe or Donate to support Daily Kos.

Click here for the mobile view of the site