View Diary: A Gen X memory of 1999: How we got the Bush years (59 comments)

•  so you're blaming Nader for being a dumb kid... (2+ / 0-)
    schumann, St Alia of the Knife

who didn't read about what the Republicans stood for and voted for a Republican? That's fucking hysterical.

I sing praises in the church of nonsense, but in my heart I'm still an atheist, demanding sense of all things.

by jbou on Tue Jun 25, 2013 at 05:26:49 PM PDT

•  You do realize... (2+ / 0-)
      Bush Bites, onanthebarbarian

...that not everyone has the time to actually keep up with politics, right? These days I do, but back then I was in a catastrophically unhealthy state. I had just been discharged from the military for disability earlier that year. It took me months before I could even walk right. I was also suffering from severe PTSD. I was still suffering from nightmares well after the election.

Plus, the internet was a far, far different place than it is now. I had no blogs I could go to. All I had was television and newspapers, when I could actually be free of enough pain to actually pay attention enough to even understand them. And I actually voted Democratic all the way down ticket. It was just the presidency that I chose Bush because I believed that it didn't matter. So why don't you get off your high horse.

Time is of no account with great thoughts, which are as fresh to-day as when they first passed through their authors' minds ages ago. - Samuel Smiles

by moviemeister76 on Tue Jun 25, 2013 at 05:34:56 PM PDT

•  you believed it didn't matter (1+ / 0-)
        St Alia of the Knife

Wasn't Nader's fault you believed what you believed.

by jbou on Tue Jun 25, 2013 at 05:43:19 PM PDT

•  Hmmm (1+ / 0-)
          onanthebarbarian

Can we apply this logic to all the people who have been screaming about how President Obama hasn't delivered ponies and unicorns?

by moviemeister76 on Tue Jun 25, 2013 at 05:48:42 PM PDT

•  sure (0+ / 0-)

A lot of what people are disappointed in Obama about was their expectations they had for him.

Me? I was pointing out that he was a corporate friendly middle of the road Democrat during the primaries and every step along the way. I do my reading.

by jbou on Tue Jun 25, 2013 at 05:54:08 PM PDT

•  What a privilege for you (0+ / 0-)

To actually have time to, ya know, do research.

by moviemeister76 on Tue Jun 25, 2013 at 05:57:42 PM PDT

•  doesn't take much (0+ / 0-)

just seek sources of news that don't regurgitate what you already know. There are certain people who you can take cues from that have shown to be very reliable sources for knowing when something or someone is not good for the country. And like I am fond of saying, seek enlightenment, but wear sunglasses.

by jbou on Tue Jun 25, 2013 at 06:05:06 PM PDT

•  No (2+ / 0-)
      Mike S, yella dawg

He/she is telling you about his/her own personal story. I know two people who were the same age at the time, they were on the same path. Nader doesn't get a pass for the damage that he contributed to.

"Humidity built the snowman. Sunshine brought him down" John Prine

• Health Care (21)
  • Rescued (21)
  • Barack Obama (20)
  • Republicans (18)
  • International (18)
  • Freddie Gray (17)
  • Click here for the mobile view of the site