View Diary: Antonin Scalia develops split personality disorder (175 comments)

•  the original sin in this country is racism, (3+ / 0-)
    Nannyberry, CajunBoyLgb, aitchdee

its ideology is white supremacy.  It also demonstrates that race prejudice is not equivalent to discrimination against homosexuals, in the minds of most bigots.  It is an anchoring ideal in their sense of self, never to be removed or abandoned.  If it were, they would not know who they were anymore.........

"Fear is the Mind Killer"--Frank Herbert

by vmm918 on Wed Jun 26, 2013 at 07:58:46 AM PDT

•  I guess there's no hope for us then. (0+ / 0-)

Fortunately for the rest of you, we white people seem to be dying off.

LG: You know what? You got spunk. MR: Well, Yes... LG: I hate spunk!

by dinotrac on Wed Jun 26, 2013 at 08:19:59 AM PDT

•  i was talking directly about white supremacists, (0+ / 0-)

about BIGOTS---not about anyone else.....if you count yourself among them, I am surprised.....

"Fear is the Mind Killer"--Frank Herbert

by vmm918 on Wed Jun 26, 2013 at 09:48:09 AM PDT

•  I took (0+ / 0-)
          the original sin in this country is racism, (3+ / 0-)
          its ideology is white supremacy
          to be all-encompassing.

If it's not, that changes things.

LG: You know what? You got spunk. MR: Well, Yes... LG: I hate spunk!

by dinotrac on Wed Jun 26, 2013 at 09:54:36 AM PDT

•  it is encompassing in that it affected and (0+ / 0-)

continues to affect us.  I watch other oppressed groups make progress today, (women vs abortion, gays and DOMA) and watch my people enter a new period of Reconstruction.  I am so tired of the incessant and persistent hatred and dehumanization, and the denial of basic rights and protections under the law.  We had many black elected officials during Reconstruction, including one black governor, and went on to lose all of that ground for almost one hundred years, because of the resurgence and reinstitutionalization of white supremacy.   But too often on this site  I am reminded about how glib some are about racism, and how easily it is dismissed, just as it is on other "less progressive" sites.

"Fear is the Mind Killer"--Frank Herbert

by vmm918 on Wed Jun 26, 2013 at 10:15:54 AM PDT

•  I don't know how old you are, and I agree that (0+ / 0-)

you should not tolerate denial of basic rights, but things have changed a lot since I was boy, 50 years ago.

The big oozing sores now look to be things like incarceration and children growing up in a kind of poverty that does all it can to lock them into lives of despair.

Which is not the same as saying other concerns have gone away.

LG: You know what? You got spunk. MR: Well, Yes... LG: I hate spunk!

by dinotrac on Wed Jun 26, 2013 at 10:22:08 AM PDT