View Diary: Why the Immigration Bill is a Wage Killer (47 comments)

•  what does this have to do with this post or (1+ / 0-)
    sandbox

this poster.

I just did a 3 min google of the poster and he sounds like 99% of people who post here.

Did the Taunton write this post?

“Conservation… is a positive exercise of skill and insight, not merely a negative exercise of abstinence and caution…” Aldo Leopold

by ban nock on Wed Jun 26, 2013 at 01:25:36 PM PDT

•  Oh please. You've been here four and a half (3+ / 0-)

years.  You have five mojo bars, which shows that you participate a lot.  Certainly you understand that Kossacks generally believe that a diary is tainted, or even entirely discredited, if it relies on things like white supremacist hate group sites, as this one does.

The fact that you like the ax the diarist is grinding doesn't remove this objection.

I'm an immigration lawyer.  This diary is full of crap from start to finish.  I might have taken some time to rebut it except for the CIS quotation.  Anybody who cites CIS is not reliable, whether or not they understand why.

The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts.-Bertrand Russell

by Timaeus on Wed Jun 26, 2013 at 04:21:46 PM PDT

•  I just didn't see the use of a white supremacist (1+ / 0-)
        IT Professional

group or web site.

When I googled him I also glanced at diary history, seems mostly about unemployment and labor.

I'm just curious, is immigration your specialty or one of the things you work on? Most of my family can't come to the states.

by ban nock on Wed Jun 26, 2013 at 05:46:48 PM PDT

•  Goodness, did you read the comment you (3+ / 0-)

just replied to?  Yes, I'm a U.S. immigration lawyer for more than 25 years.

I'm quite serious in my comments here.  The diarist is quoting the Center for Immigration Studies, which is a front group for white supremacists.  Really!  Others here have given proof of that.

You just can't support a diary that is based on that kind of hate-think.

by Timaeus on Wed Jun 26, 2013 at 06:09:52 PM PDT

•  Why don't you respond to Bud's (1+ / 0-)
            IT Professional

diary if you disagree.  Your ad hominum attacks don't refute the diary.

•  It's ad "hominem." (3+ / 1-)
              Lost and Found, dream weaver, sturunner
              Hidden by:
              IT Professional

As I said, if a diary is based on statements from a white supremacist group, as this one clearly is, I don't think I have a duty to engage the diary beyond that.

This, by the way, is not an "ad hominem" attack, which you can't spell and don't understand.

by Timaeus on Wed Jun 26, 2013 at 06:54:11 PM PDT

•  No need to be rude. (1+ / 0-)
                sandbox
              •  I can spell ad hominem. (0+ / 0-)

And, yes, ad hominem is what you are doing.
                You are undoubtedly disagreeing with a person/group, not the argument presented.
                Even if you feel that you are justified in doing so, it doesn't change the fact that you are using ad hominem as the basis of your rejection/disagreement.

I can also spell 'argument from authority'.
                Your livelihood is is utterly irrelevant.

Those who would sacrifice liberty for security deserve neither.

by FrankRose on Thu Jun 27, 2013 at 08:10:29 AM PDT

•  What a bunch of crap. (2+ / 0-)
                  sturunner, dream weaver

by Timaeus on Thu Jun 27, 2013 at 08:18:01 AM PDT

•  Oh, bullshit. (0+ / 0-)

You're smarter than this.
                    You know what the definition of the word 'ad hominem' is.
                    You know that your comments on this diary fit the definition of the word.

Don't be such an arrogant prick while being objectively wrong.

Those who would sacrifice liberty for security deserve neither.

by FrankRose on Thu Jun 27, 2013 at 08:25:22 AM PDT

•  You won't be here long. (0+ / 0-)

Yes, I know what "ad hominem" means, and I was quite precise in my use.  You're the one with the ignorance problem.

Arrogant prick?  Gee, that seems to me to be an HRable comment.  Although, of course, it is a classic instance of the psychological mechanism of projection, in which an insecure person attacks another with their own fault.  Look it up, genius.

As to "objectively wrong," that is just silly.  You're genuinely not worth my time.

It must be terrible to be afraid of all those super-smart furriners coming to take your job.  Go join the Republicans.

by Timaeus on Thu Jun 27, 2013 at 04:46:56 PM PDT

•  Then let us look at the definition, shall we? (0+ / 0-)

"Ad Hominem--adverb--Attacking an opponent's motives or character rather than the policy or position they maintain"
                        If you care to explain how that isn't exactly what you are doing, please do.

"As to objectively wrong"
                        Do I have to cut and paste the definition of "objectively" for you as well? I don't have my "English-to-Timaeusese" dictionary handy. Let us stick to the actual definitions of words, shall we?

"It must be terrible to be afraid of all those super-smart furriners coming to take your job"
                        It must be interesting to live in your imagination, as I have only commented on your lack of understanding of the definition of the word "ad Hominem" & with your other logical fallacy of "argument from authority" (and how impressive of an argument it is....please tell us more about your livelihood.).

"You won't be here long"
                        If your predictive skills are anywhere equivalent to your English comprehension skills, then I'm not too worried.

Helluvan argument, councilor. Just keep taking the fight to the dictionary.

Those who would sacrifice liberty for security deserve neither.

by FrankRose on Thu Jun 27, 2013 at 06:17:05 PM PDT

•  You're effectively supporting a racist, white (2+ / 0-)
                  sturunner, dream weaver

supremacist outfit.

It has always been true on Daily Kos that reliance on a hate group taints a diary.

And no, 25 years of immigration law experience means I know quite a bit about immigration law and policy.  I could refute the diary point by point, there is no good reason to give it that much respect.

by Timaeus on Thu Jun 27, 2013 at 08:25:51 AM PDT

•  No. I'm effectively supporting a word definition. (0+ / 0-)

"25 years of immigration law experience means I know quite a bit about immigration law and policy."
                    Unless that gives you the authority to change the definitions of words at whim, then your livelihood is irrelevant.

"I could refute the diary point by point"
                    But can you refute the dictionary? If not, then quit being an arrogant ass while being objectively wrong.

Those who would sacrifice liberty for security deserve neither.

by FrankRose on Thu Jun 27, 2013 at 08:33:40 AM PDT

•  Well maybe he picked up the link not knowing who (0+ / 0-)

or what the group is. The post itself doesn't seem racist in any way to me.

All my experiences with immigration lawyers has either been when they rip off legal immigrants for filling out typical forms that anyone could fill out, or they help businesses evade the law. Part of the problem.

Maybe if you could point out the "hate think" or is that because you disagree?

by ban nock on Thu Jun 27, 2013 at 07:10:28 AM PDT

•  Disingenuous. It has always been true on (2+ / 0-)
              sturunner, dream weaver

Daily Kos that reliance on hate groups illegitimizes an argument.

My immigration law practice is completely honorable and your attack is cheap and small.

by Timaeus on Thu Jun 27, 2013 at 08:23:12 AM PDT