View Diary: Black Kos, Week In Review (136 comments)

•  Anyone know of a Voter ID project in the works? (10+ / 0-)

Since we can't expect Congress to do anything before 2014 and possibly 2016, it seems pretty urgent to make sure people get their ID's.

It's pretty soon after the VRA decision, but there has to be someone at least talking about it.

Thanks!

The sooner we become one nation among many, tending our own garden, the sooner we become truly exceptional.

by MrJayTee on Fri Jun 28, 2013 at 03:38:12 PM PDT

•  There've been a few diaries up suggesting (7+ / 0-)

we start helping folks in latino and black communities right away (and convincing them to vote Democrat, while we're at it) in preparation for '14 and '16.  I think we'll see some solid plans coming up in the next few weeks.  If not, you'n me, MrJayTee -- we have some work to do.  ;)

"Throwing a knuckleball for a strike is like throwing a butterfly with hiccups across the street into your neighbor's mailbox." -- Willie Stargell

by Yasuragi on Fri Jun 28, 2013 at 04:05:33 PM PDT

•  Candidates and party organizations (6+ / 0-)

Don't generally inspire me to part with my cash.  The last cycle, President Obama was the only one of either category.

Countering voter suppression is a whole different ball game.  Not only is the effort eminently deserving in itself, it's an unbelievable way to continue getting minority voters, especially new minority voters, turning out, which in turn changes the party for the better.  The party is still too white and elite.  That's a huge barrier to progress.

As horrible as it is to have to do it, a voter ID drive seems to be an enormous motivator, really going to the heart of who we are as a party and a nation, and another huge nail in the Republicans' coffin.  Maybe even a stake through their hearts.  And it's tailor made for somthing like an ActBlue campaign.

I even have a clever slogan at the ready to get more donations.  I can't wait until the campaign starts.  It'll be the biggest thing since the voter registration campaigns of the Civil Rights era.

by MrJayTee on Fri Jun 28, 2013 at 04:50:52 PM PDT

•  Can't wait to hear what it is! (4+ / 0-)

Yeah, everything you said.  And I see this as something that can actually be done individually as well as in a group.  I plan to go to the ever-growing Latino community here and offer to help.  I have enough connections there that I'll have some credibility.

The black community where I live is teeny-tiny (a huge change in my life, and not for the better), and I'm pretty sure they're almost all registered voters: this place needs community votes on local issues, and in this place a few votes can make a difference.  But I'll be checking up.

There's also a reservation not too far away.  I tried to convince an OFA rep (who, in this case, was a total idiot) that we should be busting our asses there for '12, but she wasn't hearing it.  They were pissed at Obama at the time for putting bigger taxes on cigarettes (their main income), and it would've been worth going and working with them.

So one-to-one is as good as organized community outreach here, seems to me.

But we've got to do it, and starting now.

by Yasuragi on Fri Jun 28, 2013 at 05:11:22 PM PDT

•  Yes, excellent point. (4+ / 0-)
            howabout, Yasuragi, Kombema, etherealfire

Individually may be all one can do in a small place.  Idea: whoever is doing a voter ID drive needs to prepare "kits" for activists in small towns and rural areas.

I think your work with Latino and Native Americans groups is a great idea, too.  Ecumenical is good!

Now, my slogan.  I hope you'll be kind if it's just dumb.  My aim was to motivate people who would like to get involved as activists, but have too may obligations; and to echo the struggles of the past so as to inspire.  Since those folks can still send cash for the cause, it occurred to me to say:

Fight racist voter laws and donate now to make sure everyone can vote.  Send your money on a Freedom Ride!
            That's it.  No, I won't demand a royalty, hehe.

by MrJayTee on Fri Jun 28, 2013 at 05:28:10 PM PDT

•  I really like that! (3+ / 0-)
              MrJayTee, Kombema, etherealfire

I'm willing to stick that on my bumper.  :)

What do you see as going in the kits (which I think are a great idea)?

by Yasuragi on Fri Jun 28, 2013 at 06:30:28 PM PDT

•  Hmmm...a brief on the individual state's (3+ / 0-)
                Yasuragi, Kombema, etherealfire

Voting laws and the recent history of how they got that way, voter registration forms, a tailored list of the documentation requirements to get the required ID, how to go about getting them--including phone numbers, internet resources, how to use affidavits for people without birth certificates (like we had to do with my dad), and the standard dodges local elections authorities use to stop voters and how to oppose them.  A lot of this can be on-line, but physical kits could help in places where the organizer may not have easy access to the necessary forms or internet resources.

The NAACP, ACLU and similar organizations could have on-line tutorials for people who can't get to a big city.  Their field organizers can promote this process, too.  Tutorials  like "How To Knock on a Stranger's Door 101".

Plus ideas on how to raise money so the poor can afford their ID's, maybe through churches and other non-government community organizations.

Just off the top of my head.  I hope there's someone smarter than me looking into it.  Minority voters in rural areas and small towns deserve the attention!

by MrJayTee on Fri Jun 28, 2013 at 06:49:24 PM PDT

•  Lookin' mighty smart to me, JT! (4+ / 0-)

I think that's a brilliant list.  Maybe we (you? me?) should put up a diary?  (If I posted, I'd give all credit to you!)

Get more ideas, resources, and so on?

You up for it?  :)

by Yasuragi on Fri Jun 28, 2013 at 07:15:16 PM PDT

•  And I'm not the kind of person to (3+ / 0-)
                  MrJayTee, Larsstephens, etherealfire

put that kind of thing together -- though I can certainly contribute.  Sounds like maybe you aren't either?  So maybe, in doing a diary, we'd find someone stepping up who is good at that stuff.

by Yasuragi on Fri Jun 28, 2013 at 07:16:14 PM PDT

•  Thanks for your kindness. (3+ / 0-)
                    Yasuragi, etherealfire, Kombema

I don't really want to do that diary, since I kind of like to be Mr. Know It All, and here I sure don't.

However...I can get something in diary form by tomorrow late afternoon covering what we have in these exchanges, pitching it as getting a discussion going that might bring a more informed perspective.  Subject: reaching out to rural and small town minority voters in a time of voter suppression.

I'll Kos Mail it to you and see what you want to add and what edits you'd suggest.  Then, we publish later Saturday or on Sunday.

Does that make any sense?

by MrJayTee on Fri Jun 28, 2013 at 07:42:53 PM PDT

•  There are several ongoing projects (6+ / 0-)

ACLU has one

as does the NAACP

Kudos to Democrats in CO

Colorado Dems fight back against GOP’s Voter ID measures

Join us on the Black Kos front porch to review news and views written from a black pov—everyone is welcome.

by Denise Oliver Velez on Fri Jun 28, 2013 at 05:35:54 PM PDT