View Diary: Confronting The Clear And Present Danger of The For Profit Surveillance State (36 comments)

•  Was he alive back then? (0+ / 0-)

Were you alive back then?

Did I claim he was Hitler's next door neighbor?

Did you write a fucking book about it that I missed?

Did he?

Idiot.

~ Jerry Garcia

by DeadHead on Fri Jun 28, 2013 at 09:22:21 PM PDT

•  oh so any book should be considered an account (0+ / 0-)

that's such a better argument then your first one.....not

And if I am an idiot what does that make you? I mean I at least know enough to not have claimed Mayer's book is a first hand account.

In the time that I have been given,
      I am what I am

by duhban on Fri Jun 28, 2013 at 10:12:50 PM PDT

•  Yes. A book that studies the ordinary lives (2+ / 0-)
        TheMomCat, Ray Pensador

of Germans under the Third Reich, published in 1955 and written by a dude that was, like, born in 1908 should be considered a better account of the events of that time than any tripe you come up with.

Oh, can you tell me where I claimed Mayor's book was a first hand account? Do you mean this?

It happens bit by bit. Don't take my word for it, take it from someone who LIVED IT:
        I'll tell you what, I'll split the difference with you, since that was ambiguous enough to be read the way you read it.

Now, would you care to further educate me on the Third Reich and tell me why the above linked excerpt from Mayer's book doesn't refute your claim that Hitler just "grabbed" power?

Further, can you tell me why the slow and imperceptible restrictions on civil liberties we're experiencing do not bear a striking resemblance to what is described in the excerpt?

Or will you provide some other excuse for not answering?

~ Jerry Garcia

by DeadHead on Fri Jun 28, 2013 at 10:42:51 PM PDT

•  there's nothing ambigious about it (0+ / 0-)

you presented Mayer's work as a first hand account and it is no such thing. That said I'll let it go either way as really it's besides the actual point.

And Mayer's isn't the only work on the matter and frankly given that it was done twenty years ex post facto  yes I am not willing to give it as much weight as say Mein Kampf in which Hitler himself argues for violence as needed. Or Konrad Heiden who was actually a comtemporary of Hitler who starts with Hitler's 1933 expunging of the Nazi Party of any rivals. Though Konrad does go off the rails with the antichrist bit.

And that's just 2 books I would suggest you read.

The idea that Hitler didn't violently and bloodly assume power after being elected Chancellor is frankly the wrong one on the facts.

In the time that I have been given,
          I am what I am

by duhban on Fri Jun 28, 2013 at 10:52:36 PM PDT

•  Dude, I've read close to two dozen books (2+ / 0-)

on Hitler, Nazi Germany, WWII, the Holocaust, including the unforgettablely disturbing Einsatzgruppen.

Have you at LEAST read Shirer's Rise and Fall of the Third Reich?

Because you wouldn't be fucking me around like you are right now if you had, or, if you had at least managed to retain that information in your brain.

Here's s refresher on what the first chapters talk about:

Book One: The Rise of Adolf Hitler
            Chapter 1. Birth of the Third Reich
            Chapter 2. Birth of the Nazi Party
            Chapter 3. Versailles, Weimar and the Beer Hall Putsch
            Chapter 4. The Mind of Hitler and the Roots of the Third Reich

Book Two: Triumph and Consolidation
            Chapter 5. The Road to Power: 1925-31
            Chapter 6. The Last Days of the Republic: 1931-33
            Chapter 7. The Nazification of Germany: 1933-34
            Chapter 8. Life in the Third Reich: 1933-37
            [...]

Do those chapter titles give you the impression Hitler just woke one day and decided to be dictator?

And Shirer most CERTAINLY DID live it first hand.

That's what the whole point of this inane subthread was about the first place. The GROUNDWORK was laid slowly and gradually. And no one with any common sense thinks we'll end up with an actual Adolf Hitler-reincarnate. I most certainly don't contend that. But you don't need to take it to anywhere near that extreme in order to do some historical comparisons in other ways.

~ Jerry Garcia

by DeadHead on Sat Jun 29, 2013 at 01:41:41 AM PDT

•  and now you are moving the goal posts (0+ / 0-)

I think that's the clearest sign yet you've lost the argument

In the time that I have been given,
              I am what I am

by duhban on Sat Jun 29, 2013 at 04:33:08 AM PDT

•  Your declaration of victory is premature (0+ / 0-)

Please refresh my memory by providing the following information:

1) Original "goalpost" location
                2) New "goalpost" location

While we're waiting for you to respond, I will mention incidentally to spectators of this debacle: the surest sign of having lost the argument, imo, comes instead from he who declares victory with little more than zero to offer in rebuttal. You do not refute any of the points I've made to counter your original claims. NOTHING, other than telling me I've "moved the goalposts."

I do however, enjoy these interactions with you. With every long, drawn out, mindless clusterfuck subthread masquerading as dialogue between you and I, you succeed only in further embarrassing yourself.

Anxiously awaiting that "goalpost" data I requested.

~ Jerry Garcia

by DeadHead on Sat Jun 29, 2013 at 04:55:39 AM PDT

•  asdf (0+ / 0-)

Remember this comment? Where in I specifically stated that gradual wouldn't get you all the way? Where you never contested that?

That was your chance to make the 'point' you allegedly were making except you never did because that wasn't the point.

Yeah you're moving the goal posts and this is just embarrassing for you.

Class dismissed