View Diary: Is Zimmerman's Lawyer Guilty of Badgering A Witness? (161 comments)

•  I beg to disagree. (10+ / 0-)
    and the defense is making her look like an illiterate, bumbling, lying fool.
    This perfectly illustrates the problem with the makeup of the jury.
    People are saying that she comes across as a very believable witness and you see a bumbling, illiterate idiot.
    Very telling.

Maya Angelou: "Without courage, we cannot practice any other virtue with consistency. We can't be kind, true, merciful, generous, or honest."

by JoanMar on Thu Jun 27, 2013 at 09:05:21 AM PDT

•  How so? (4+ / 0-)
      weck, johnny wurster, Victor Ward, VClib
      This perfectly illustrates the problem with the makeup of the jury.
      Very telling.
      I have absolutely NO dog in this fight - I happened across the trial coverage while trying to find coverage of either SB5 or the DOMA ruling - so, admittedly, I may have been ticked off by the 'gavel to gavel' coverage that was going on

But - the tiny little bit of coverage that I saw - I didn't see the witness as particularly effective (and Yes, I agree - the prosecutor was kind of being a douche bag ... ) but the chyron that I saw was that this was a 'star witness' or some such thing -- what is telling, imo, is that if she IS a star witness - then I may be more concerned about he prosecution than any comment that I have about the witness

"I want to keep them alive long enough that I can win them to Christ," - Rick Warren, Professional Greed Driven Scumbag

by josephk on Thu Jun 27, 2013 at 09:13:45 AM PDT

•  the tiny little bit of coverage that I saw (15+ / 0-)

Say no more.

He's doing his job in trying to confuse her and discredit her testimony, she is clearly not an educated woman but she is going a fantastic job and her story is not changing despite his attempts.

Is she refined and highly educated? No.  Is she credible?  Absolutely.

He's trying his damnedest to crack the nut and she hasn't cracked.

•  keep in mind... (11+ / 0-)

the defense started on this witness yesterday... and now she's called back to the stand today.  We're not talking about the few minutes you saw, but hours she's been up on the stand.  Which also means hours that the jury and judge have had to listen.

So that's the perspective from which many of us are commenting.

and honestly!!!  headlines by media are meant to catch your attention somehow.  She is an important witness to the prosecution because she was the last person to speak to Trayvon.  And her account is also supported by other's accounts in their testimony - so I don't think the prosecution is laying all their eggs in one basket.

All the suffering of this world arises from a wrong attitude.The world is neither good or bad. It is only the relation to our ego that makes it seem the one or the other - Lama Anagorika Govinda

by kishik on Thu Jun 27, 2013 at 09:41:49 AM PDT

•  Fair enough (9+ / 0-)

I probably should have avoided commenting on a matter that I literally have virtually no reasonable perspective ...

by josephk on Thu Jun 27, 2013 at 09:51:41 AM PDT

•  well... (5+ / 0-)
            weck, JoanMar, jennybravo, blueoasis, Tonedevil

snark or not, of course you have a perspective.

But based on your specific comments, they weren't reasonable in the context of the whole of the topic (meaning the current witness's performance on the stand).

I saw some of her testimony live yesterday.  Didn't have the opportunity to watch much, but I happen to be able today.  I was going to turn it off because the defense attorney's tactics were driving me crazy, but I decided to leave it on.

Following and listening to his repetitive questions and her answers, overall I think she's doing a good job.  And the prosecution also doing a good job in their support of her on the stand.

by kishik on Thu Jun 27, 2013 at 09:57:41 AM PDT

•  We do have a habit of confusing education (10+ / 0-)

with intelligence.

by JoanMar on Thu Jun 27, 2013 at 10:36:53 AM PDT

•  Joan, I watched some today (2+ / 0-)

it is being covered in Florida on a few channels and YES
                he was badgering the witness imo to trip her up.  He asked her the same question over and over and over phrased in different ways.  She is clearly tired and upset and if someone can't remember word for word and in which direction the wind was blowing and that came up.....then prosecution needs to really stop this badgering !!!!

I am quite sure she feels under seige by the defense and people or at least some minorities still feel intimidated by whites going on and on and on with the same question worded a different way.

Made me mad.   She seems like some of the typical underprivleged youth in the south... Not un intelligent..just beat down and under educated.

We the People have to make a difference and the Change.....Just do it ! Be part of helping us build a veteran community online. United Veterans of America

by Vetwife on Thu Jun 27, 2013 at 04:59:22 PM PDT

•  it wasn't snark (3+ / 0-)
              kishik, Tonedevil, Yasuragi

I truly only caught the briefest snippets while channel surfing for news on a myriad of other topics - and You were right to point out that the jury is sitting there for hour upon hour and has a much different perspective than I have as a peripheral viewer - in that way - my perspective isn't worth much as to the specific question posed in the diary ...

by josephk on Thu Jun 27, 2013 at 11:08:13 AM PDT

•  ok...but (1+ / 0-)
                Tonedevil

I still say your perspective does matter.  :)

by kishik on Thu Jun 27, 2013 at 11:10:07 AM PDT

•  Also keep in mind (7+ / 0-)

That Zimmerman's story is the primary defense.

These pieces as they weave and hold discredit his testimony.  And while the defense will make issue that she lied under oath remember that Zimmerman has as well regarding his finances.

If third party witnesses discredit Zimmerman's story the jury has to see that Zimmerman's account is falsified and he has no defense.

•  Are you in FL? Because I'm in the NE (1+ / 0-)
        JoanMar

with hundreds of channels, and have to pick it up on livestream on my computer.

And the Prosecution doesn't write the chyron.  ;)

"Throwing a knuckleball for a strike is like throwing a butterfly with hiccups across the street into your neighbor's mailbox." -- Willie Stargell

by Yasuragi on Thu Jun 27, 2013 at 12:55:57 PM PDT

•  I would be (13+ / 0-)

totally confused by the defense attorney's badgering if I was on the stand and I have a college degree. The jury may feel that way too.  I would think  that the defense is just twisting her words.  He is going way too far.

Be well, ~*-:¦:-jennybravo-:¦:-*~

by jennybravo on Thu Jun 27, 2013 at 09:20:43 AM PDT

•  JM -- first of all, thank you so much for this. (5+ / 0-)

I can't believe how little talk there is of this trial here.  But then... why would I be surprised?

I think she was quite remarkable, and the disconnect (a chasm of misunderstanding, actually) between Jeantel and West was amazing.  I never had a moment when I couldn't understand her, or grasp what she meant.  Was he deliberately being stupid about her answers to try and discredit her?  (I mean, obviously, yes, but... was he really at all having so much trouble?)

Yeah, she admitted to two lies, and gave the reasons, with which I completely sympathize.  But she held her ground, stuck to the story (any jury will member will recognize that as truth, I think), and contained her agitation.

A lot of tweets were disgusting about her, but later the mood seemed to change (on most -- not all) and there was a fresh sense of respect and appreciation for her testimony.  And several folks in the courtroom tweeted that the jury was "riveted" by her testimony.

by Yasuragi on Thu Jun 27, 2013 at 12:54:39 PM PDT

•  I would think they would be riveted. I hope they (3+ / 0-)

were.  It's as close as anyone can get to a 17 year old kid's last minutes.  When I heard her quote Trayvon as saying, "Get off. Get off" -- I felt such a tangle of reactions.  On the one hand, I felt almost triumphant. I hadn't heard those words as part of the cell phone call before, and it seemed (and seems) to me that it's a powerful testimony to Zimmerman's aggression, and words that may help get some limited justice for Trayvon.

At the same time it was just sickening. I felt sick.

I'm surprised this witness has been as composed and capable as she is.  Going through these memories over and over has got to be really hard.

--------------------- “These are troubling times. Corporation are treated like people. People are treated like things. …And if we ever needed to vote, we sure do need to vote now.” -- Rev. Dr. William J. Barber

by Fiona West on Thu Jun 27, 2013 at 02:59:00 PM PDT

•  Good that the mood on twitter changed. (2+ / 0-)

It didn't change much on television.
        The racial divide was glaringly obvious.

Thanks, Yas.

by JoanMar on Thu Jun 27, 2013 at 04:37:48 PM PDT

•  ive been on a jury (0+ / 0-)

if someone on the stand admits to lying on the stand before, i'm not going to trust anything they say now unless it can be backed up by a second source.

for all know she told the 100% truth this time around, but if i were a juror i'd have a hard time putting my decision in her testimony.

•  What are you going to do with (0+ / 0-)

Zimmerman's outright lies and inconsistencies?
        He is the one on trial.

by JoanMar on Fri Jun 28, 2013 at 04:53:37 AM PDT

•  exactly the same (0+ / 0-)

but while he's the one of trial - it's the prosecution's job to prove the case beyond a reasonalbe doubt. All of the pressure is on the prosecution, not zimmerman.

•  Pity. He hunted and murdered a (0+ / 0-)

young man and people are getting upset at Rachel.

by JoanMar on Fri Jun 28, 2013 at 10:47:41 AM PDT