View Diary: "Europa Report": A Beautiful, Semi-Realistic, Slightly Disappointing New Sci-fi Movie (65 comments)

•  My Favorite SF Movies (2+ / 0-)
    wonderful world, Troubadour

In approximate order, with the best at the top:

“Bladerunner” -- a nearly perfect science fiction (SF) movie. Great acting. Great visual effects (created by building physical models instead of using digital special effects). Great story -- and you realize partway through the movie that Deckard has to be a replicant who‘s hunting down the other replicants.

“Brazil” -- another great movie. Visually beautiful in its depiction of the mundanity of bureaucracy and torture.

The original “Star Wars” movie (which is now called #4). Historically, it reinvigorated the SF movie genre.

“The Day the Earth Stood Stilll“ -- a spaceship lands in Washington, DC, and an alien says, “Clean up your politics or we’ll attack you.” And there’s a little kid. And an Einstein character. And a robot. Klaatu Barada Nikto.

“Aliens” (the second one in the series, where the human woman (Sigourney Weaver) briefly hesitates before she uses the flamethrower to destroy the eggs of the female alien). Utterly Hitchcockian in its use of suspense.

“Invasion of the Body Snatchers” -- the original is better, but the remake is pretty good, too. Very good psychological drama and a metaphor for paranoia of the 1950s about Communism brainwashing people.

“Starship Troopers” (this is a very guilty pleasure -- if you can get past the utterly fascist politics, it’s a war movie with humans fighting against gigantic alien bugs).

The first “Star Trek” movie with Ricardo Montalban and that creepy ear worm.

“The Minority Report“ -- where people are arrested for “pre-crime.” Arrested because they might commit a crime in the future. But there’s corruption within the system.

The “Star Trek” movie where they go back in time and save the whales and meet hippies. I forget which number it is. Maybe number four or five?

“Battle Beyond the Stars” (another guilty pleasure, definitely a B movie, sort of an SF remake of The Seven Samurai or The Magnificent Seven). With John Boy Walton as the farm kid fighting aliens (just like Star Wars)! And Rpbert Vaughn from The Man from UNCLE! And George Peppard from the A-Team! And Sybil Danning (Playboy model with hugenormous breasts!).

“The People” (another guilty pleasure, with William Shatner!) -- a group of people in a rural/farming area, who seem to be based on the Amish or Pennsylvania Dutch, turn out to be aliens who can fly. A made-for-TV movie, so every 15 minutes there’s some kind of crisis that will be solved after the ads.

“The Brother from Another Planet”  (Joe Morton is a black guy, who’s an alien who ends up in Harlem, chased by other aliens). Directed by John Sayles, one of my favorite directors.

“Starman” (Jeff Bridges plays the naïve alien in this one).

(There are several other movies I could mention, but I’ll stop now.)

But I’m mention that I’m not a fan of “2001” or “Close Encounters of the Third Kind” or “E.T.” I can’t think of anything good to say about those movies. They’re not on my list of favorite SF movies.

"Stupid just can't keep its mouth shut." -- SweetAuntFanny's grandmother.

by Dbug on Fri Jun 28, 2013 at 01:10:11 AM PDT

•  Spoiler Alerts, dude? (3+ / 0-)
      Troubadour, graycat13, Dbug

Not everyone has seen everything.

I am a big fan of 'The People'...one of my earliest sf films. I'm also a fan of the original 'Escape from Witch Mountain' (not the remake, heavens above.) I even read the book.

A weapon that is also a treasure is certain to be used. Hero for Hire

by wonderful world on Fri Jun 28, 2013 at 04:42:56 AM PDT

•  Okay, one thing (2+ / 0-)
      Troubadour, Dbug

That "first Star Trek movie" is the SECOND Star Trek movie...but the actual first one was SO AWFUL, forgetting it is forgivable.

You don't actually have much Science Fiction on your list:  see the sub-thread on 'space opera'.

Show me the whisky stains on the floor
      Show me an old drunkard as he stumbles to the door
      And I'll see a young man with so many reasons why...
      ...and there, but for FORTUNE, go you - or I... - thanks, Phil

by chmood on Fri Jun 28, 2013 at 07:45:02 AM PDT

•  For me. (2+ / 0-)
      DEMonrat ankle biter, Dbug

2001: A Space Odyssey

Primer

Solaris (2002)

Serenity

Gattaca

THX-1138

Cloud Atlas

Robocop

The Andromeda Strain

A Clockwork Orange

Le Voyage dans la Lune (1902)

The Fly (1986)

Akira

Terminator 2

Sign the petition to demand a law-abiding Supreme Court.

by Troubadour on Fri Jun 28, 2013 at 08:23:58 AM PDT

•  OK, I haven't seen several of those (1+ / 0-)
        Troubadour

I do like Solaris and Serenity (a lot). THX-1138 is good, too. Robocop is sort of a guilty pleasure, although I'm not a big fan of that Rocky guy. What's his name, Stallone. Clockwork Orange is great -- love it and should have put it on my list, but I think I just forgot. The Fly is pretty good. And Terminator 2 should have been on my list. I like the first Terminator, also.

Also, come to think of it, I kind of like a couple of the Mel Gibson Mad Max movies (not so much the first, low-budget one), but the second and third ones were really pretty good, for different reasons.

Oh, I forgot "Waterworld." I love that movie. Most critics and other people hate it, but it's sort of like a post-apocalyptic ocean-based version of Mad Max.

One more (speaking of post-apocalypse) is "A Boy and His Dog." Based on a story by Harlan Ellison.

And what's the movie based on the PK Dick story, "We Can Remember It For You Wholesale"? Actually, the story was better than the movie. The movie has Schwarzenegger getting memories implanted in his head and traveling to Mars. Also, I always thought "The Truman Show" was a Dickian sort of story. Although I don't think they credited PK Dick in the credits. I'd love to see a movie version of Dick's "The Man in the High Castle."

There's another great movie called "Delicatessen," where people move into an apartment building and then they get killed and the meat is sold in the delicatessen. Directed by Jeunet and Caro, who also did "The City of Lost Children." I think Jeunet directed one of the later Alien movies, too.

I keep adding more and more movies to my SF list. But that's enough for now.

"Stupid just can't keep its mouth shut." -- SweetAuntFanny's grandmother.

by Dbug on Fri Jun 28, 2013 at 10:02:38 PM PDT

•  Almost forgot "Pi" (1998). (2+ / 0-)
      DEMonrat ankle biter, Dbug

Sign the petition to demand a law-abiding Supreme Court.

by Troubadour on Fri Jun 28, 2013 at 08:28:42 AM PDT