View Diary: US Army blocks access to Guardian UK, leak-related articles (201 comments)

•  The problem with that ideology is, of course... (22+ / 0-)

...this:

You know, for us, this would have been a dream come true.
    Wolfgang Schmidt, Lt. Col. (Ret.) in the East German Stasi, in an interesting article in today's McClatchy.

“So much information, on so many people,”
    ...it sounds almost like regret, doesn't it?  Maybe not though - maybe he learned something.  Who knows?
    “It is the height of naivete to think that once collected this information won’t be used,” he said. “This is the nature of secret government organizations. The only way to protect the people’s privacy is not to allow the government to collect their information in the first place."

It ain't called paranoia - when they're really out to get you. 6 points.

by Jaime Frontero on Thu Jun 27, 2013 at 10:34:38 PM PDT

•  That information is a gold mine: (3+ / 0-)
      DeadHead, Don midwest, CroneWit

Never mind the danger of the police state (as bad as that is) - just look at the value to huge corporations, worth its weight in gold.

And we all know the lengths corporations will go in order to mine gold.

Blessed are the peacemakers, the poor, the meek and the sick: The "party of Jesus" wouldn't invite him to their convention - fearing his "platform."

by 4CasandChlo on Thu Jun 27, 2013 at 11:27:26 PM PDT

•  Well, yeah. But I don't think that was quite... (4+ / 0-)

...what Schmidt had in mind when he said:  "It is the height of naivete to think that once collected this information won’t be used."

I believe he might have had something... darker... in mind.  As do, I also believe, his peers.

It ain't called paranoia - when they're really out to get you. 6 points.

by Jaime Frontero on Thu Jun 27, 2013 at 11:31:59 PM PDT

•  Oh, certainly - (3+ / 0-)
          Jaime Frontero, DeadHead, CroneWit

And it was an excellent find on your part - thank you for bringing it us.

No, I did a poor writing job, my point was that one could see just how inevitable its use would be for those darker purposes by noting just how obvious the value was for relatively superficial stuff.

What I wrote might actually take away from its depth, that was certainly not my intent, its direct, honest warning, hit me hard. It's an important comment and good work on your part.

by 4CasandChlo on Thu Jun 27, 2013 at 11:53:00 PM PDT

•  Pardon my lack of tact. (6+ / 0-)

I agree with you.  And, actually, your point is in many ways larger than mine - the melding of corporatism and the security state is really more dangerous in the long term than anything Schmidt could have envisioned.

I'm bitter.  It shows sometimes.  It's no excuse.

It ain't called paranoia - when they're really out to get you. 6 points.

by Jaime Frontero on Thu Jun 27, 2013 at 11:57:48 PM PDT

•  We are in the same boat, thankfully: (4+ / 0-)

I didn't for a second consider it lack of tact, there is nothing needing an excuse, I was actually glad to be able to clarify, I appreciated the opportunity.

And I am right there with you in terms of bitterness and I think it is tearing apart any clarity I might aspire to in comments. I just noted that I have WAY too many comments throughout today. There is so much to be angry about, NSA - Texas - Wealth Inequality - far more than usual and more frightening. It is helpful to have a community of people with the same values as an outlet for all that anger.

Sometimes I over use the outlet - but, the alternative is going completely insane and most people, like you, will forgive me for it: Peace Jaime and really good job tonight.

by 4CasandChlo on Fri Jun 28, 2013 at 12:42:13 AM PDT

•  There isn't a police state in history that (11+ / 0-)

wouldn't look on the domestic spying apparatus we have made and are expanding and weep that they could not have had one just like it.

•  Bears repeating (4+ / 0-)

Put another way: Exactly how dumb do you have to be to think this won't get used in ways you cannot imagine?

•  Using one's imagination for unapproved purposes is (3+ / 0-)

… off-limits in any case, citizen.

Read your mental indenture agreement. Imagination is to be used for entertainment purposes only.

The Dutch kids' chorus Kinderen voor Kinderen wishes all the world's children freedom from hunger, ignorance, and war. ☮ ♥ ☺

by lotlizard on Fri Jun 28, 2013 at 04:10:07 AM PDT

•  I have this vision... (0+ / 0-)

... of these ghost-like, ursine visions; dancing around a campfire and chanting:

It's just me.  Goddammit!  There has to be a way to find humor - or at least some kind of release in this shit.  But you're right.

Yeah...  we're fucked.

It ain't called paranoia - when they're really out to get you. 6 points.

by Jaime Frontero on Fri Jun 28, 2013 at 11:32:53 PM PDT