View Diary: Breaking: Obama Puts 4-Star General Under Investigation for Leaks to New York Times (212 comments)

•  I don't believe we'd bother. (0+ / 0-)

We and Israel have good enough intelligence to know whether or not they really aim toward nukes or not. FWIW and treaties aside, I don't see how we have any standing to deny nuke weapons to any other nation.

I was gonna listen to that, but then, um, I just carried on living my life. - Aldous Snow

by GoGoGoEverton on Fri Jun 28, 2013 at 06:30:58 AM PDT

•  So you're okay with Iran having Nukes? (2+ / 0-)
      SoCalSal, kharma

Or anyone else for that matter?

And let's not put treaties aside. Especially concerning nuclear warheads.
      •  Isn't that the argument though? Why can't Iran (1+ / 0-)
        jrooth

have nukes if we have them, and that's why we should do nothing that's not just diplomacy (which will be leaked too if Wikileaks gets involved) to encourage Iran to stick with the NPT?

by GoGoGoEverton on Fri Jun 28, 2013 at 07:54:09 AM PDT

•  I'm not particularly OK ... (0+ / 0-)

with anyone having nukes.  But there it is.  We can't always order the world according to our preferences.

Worst case - deterrence worked with the Soviet Union, China etc.  I think it would work with the mullahs too.

“What’s the use of having developed a science well enough to make predictions if, in the end, all we’re willing to do is stand around and wait for them to come true?” - Sherwood Rowland

by jrooth on Fri Jun 28, 2013 at 08:35:40 AM PDT

•  That vaunted intelligence may or may not... (16+ / 0-)

...be there. But Israel claimed in 1992 that Iran would have a bomb in a few years. It said subsequently that Iran would have a bomb by 1998, 1999, 2000, 2004, 2005, and 2010. Then it said 2011 or 2014.

If those instances were all just saber-rattling propaganda, which is quite possible, it's one thing. But if those predictions were based on intelligence, it's shitty intelligence or based on the wacks at the Debka Files.

by Meteor Blades on Fri Jun 28, 2013 at 07:57:45 AM PDT

•  Fair point. Though we've also been predicting (2+ / 0-)
        greenbastard, jrooth

war with Iran since the late 90's as well, which perhaps has been due to some of the Israeli intelligence (or lack thereof), and that also hasn't happened.

Perhaps Iran is just a lightning rod that our government, our media, and ourselves should quit bothering with.

by GoGoGoEverton on Fri Jun 28, 2013 at 08:04:46 AM PDT

•  Iran is one of many excuses to have a national (3+ / 0-)
          cslewis, happymisanthropy, KenBee

defense establishment far in excess of what is actually necessary for adequate national defense.

"There's a conceptual zone within which the romanticized historical past and the immanentizing historical future converge in a swamp of misapprehension and misstep. It's called 'the present'." - David Beige

by Superskepticalman on Fri Jun 28, 2013 at 09:40:46 AM PDT

•  Or (1+ / 0-)
        KenBee

there has been continual covert action to inhibit their progress... and not just from Israel and the US...

Fear doesn't just breed incomprehension. It also breeds a spiteful, resentful hate of anyone and everyone who is in any way different from you.

by awesumtenor on Fri Jun 28, 2013 at 08:25:08 AM PDT