View Diary: unintentionally funny anti-gay logo (236 comments)

•  Hmm... you're saying that there are shades BETWEEN (24+ / 0-)

black and white?

How can you live in such a complicated world?

•  I know, it's frightening, isn't it? n/t (11+ / 0-)

I resent that. I demand snark, and overly so -- Markos Moulitsas.

by commonmass on Fri Jun 28, 2013 at 08:47:30 AM PDT

•  Yes just a few bad apples (0+ / 0-)

or something like that.

A true craftsman will meticulously construct the apparatus of his own demise.

by onionjim on Fri Jun 28, 2013 at 10:01:54 AM PDT

•  No. Give some credit where it is due. (2+ / 0-)
          barbwires, white blitz

the Episcopal Church has been fighting for marriage equality for a long time, and it is led by a woman, the Most Rev. Jefferts-Schori, Presiding Bishop of the Episcopal Church in the United States.

I resent that. I demand snark, and overly so -- Markos Moulitsas.

by commonmass on Fri Jun 28, 2013 at 12:42:54 PM PDT

•  Well, EPISCOPALS, may be doing that, but (2+ / 0-)
            sagesource, corvo

their bully Anglican older brothers have been busy feeding the likes of Akinola and the "rape a baby to cure yourself of Aids, Guys" and the "Kill a Queer for Jeebus" movements, that is if they can get the Archtwit of CAN'Terbunny to stick his neck out enough for his head come out of his shell... or does that only happen on Ground Hog Day?

Mr. Chambers! Don't get on that ship! The rest of the book, "To Serve Man", it's... it's a cookbook!

by Adelante on Fri Jun 28, 2013 at 12:54:47 PM PDT

•  You are very easy to dismiss a major ally (5+ / 1-)
              TrueBlueMajority, kyril, ruleoflaw, Bill W, mayim
              Hidden by:
              Adelante

of both women's and LGBT equality, and you do so with the kind of misinformed and cheap "snark" that properly belongs to the denizens of right wing blogs and a Drudge Report comment thread.

For your information, each province of the Anglican Communion is autonomous, and the Lord Archbishop of Canterbury is NOT a pope.

I resent that. I demand snark, and overly so -- Markos Moulitsas.

by commonmass on Fri Jun 28, 2013 at 06:54:23 PM PDT

•  US and CAnadian Episcopalians may be (1+ / 0-)
                Yamara

Pro Human Rights, but time and again Australian Anglicans, English Anglicans and AFRICAN Anglicans have been openly hostile, INCLUDING one or two who have encouraged, praised and cozied up to various government poobahs in their countries who've called for the rounding up of and killing of gay men and lesbians.

don't presume to lecture me on what or who the ABoC is.. He's a gutless weasel who has cr*pped on his office, which has had official and spiritual wealth of influence on other Anglican communions.

And I've seen a certain pair of Bishops in Africa priased the call for bloodsheed and a Bishop in Oz who DENIED homsoexuals and their families communioin.. and ALL those metioned have demanded censure of and schism from the US congregations for their election of a woman to the highest office.. and some of your congregations went right along with that.

I don't dismiss allies of human rights.  I DO avoid giving a walk to an entire denomination for the rather vocal and quite large percentage of its contributing members around the world who exercise hatred of people of one sexual orientation or another In Jebus' Name.

I've very littel patience with ALL THREE of the patriarchal religions and their refusal to CLEAN HOUSE of members who practice human rights violations.

An it harm NONE...

by Adelante on Fri Jun 28, 2013 at 08:38:10 PM PDT

•  Would you like to explain your HR? (4+ / 0-)
                  kyril, ruleoflaw, Farlfoto, Yamara

What part of what I said violates community standards? I'd like to know, because that looks like HR abuse to me. I think you should explain why you are HRing someone you're in a discussion with. Otherwise, I'll report it.

I resent that. I demand snark, and overly so -- Markos Moulitsas.

by commonmass on Fri Jun 28, 2013 at 08:42:55 PM PDT

•  Can you tell me who the curren Archbishop (0+ / 0-)

of Canterbury is--without looking it up?

There are, indeed, bishops around the Anglican Communion like Bishop Akinola who have espoused some horrible things, especially regarding LGBT persons.

As for the Anglican Communion, the third largest body of Christians on the planet, like all large and diverse bodies it is made up of people with very good intentions and some with very bad intentions. But the Episcopal Church is an autonomous entity. The Archbishop of Canterbury has no temporal authority, Bishop Akinola and others have no right or say in what other provinces in the Communion choose to do just like we don't have a say in what happens in the Church of Nigeria.

The Episcopal Church does not support--financially or otherwise--members of the Communion who espouse views which violate clear standards of international human rights with the possible exception of its decidedly pro-Palestinian stance. To say that the Episcopal Church has not actively tried to lobby against people like Akinola is simply an untrue statement. That he is supported by some people who used to be, but are no longer associated with the Episcopal Church IS true. They are a tiny minority and no longer have any truck whatsoever with us except when we haul them into court to sue them for stealing Episcopal Church property, namely, their buildings.

You are clearly enraged over religion in general, which is a state that tends to blur distinctions and can cause a person to get their facts wrong, which is what I think has happened in this case. Spend a half an hour poking around the official Episcopal Church site and news service and I think you'll find it's not about giving us a "pass", but the fact that our little province in the Anglican Communion is truly walking the walk, not just talking the talk. Go see for yourself, before you are so sure you know what you're talking about. Any Episcopalian can see that you don't.

I resent that. I demand snark, and overly so -- Markos Moulitsas.

by commonmass on Sat Jun 29, 2013 at 06:13:04 AM PDT

•  Currently it's Justin Portal Welby (0+ / 0-)

Previously the oh-so-vacillating and unhelpful Rowan Williams.

Welby may support women as clergy, but he hasn't mended teh rift between US communions and Britain's and while he's made kind of "don't make me look at it" messages about homophobia, he won't CONFRONT idiots like Akinola or that putz in Australia over their mouthing off and actions.

And while you're at it, quiz yourself over the acts of xtian extremists and quiz yourself and others in your religions about how much how many of you are doing to OVERTLY curb the behavior of the hateful and violence inciting membes of your various patriarchal religions' clergy who potentiate, strengthen and proliferate human rights violations in your deity's names and fame.

A pox on all those houses would be kharmic justice.  Meh on all patriarchal religions.

I won't be taking your idiotic quizzes any more.  I'm not in one of your "classes".

I just LO

by Adelante on Sat Jun 29, 2013 at 03:09:28 PM PDT

•  By the way, I'm reporting your ratings abuse. n/t (0+ / 0-)

I resent that. I demand snark, and overly so -- Markos Moulitsas.

by commonmass on Sun Jun 30, 2013 at 06:12:42 AM PDT

•  Threats like that didn't work on (0+ / 0-)

rational people when they were in kindergarten.

It seems that there are more self-inflated egos on this site than on the comments scrolls after the average tweetable MSNBC entertainment genre puff piece.

With that in mind, no one should be shaking in their shoes.

by Adelante on Thu Jul 04, 2013 at 10:50:35 AM PDT

•  No, it's all from that one apple (3+ / 0-)
          corvo, white blitz, commonmass

You know, the apple of Good and Evil both.

The Bible thumpers do say that it is only God's Law that restrains them from who knows what. They know whey want to, apparently.

Ceterem censeo, gerrymandra delenda est

by Mokurai on Fri Jun 28, 2013 at 03:07:12 PM PDT

•  "And all is for an appel, an apple that he took, (0+ / 0-)

as clerkes finden written in their book. But had that appel ne taken been, that appel taken been, nay never had Mary beene heavene Queen".

It's from a Christmas carol. "Adam Lay Ybounden". The Bible thumpers wouldn't know what to do with it if you put such a piece in front of them, and would be especially appalled at Peter Warlock's setting of it.

I resent that. I demand snark, and overly so -- Markos Moulitsas.

by commonmass on Fri Jun 28, 2013 at 09:09:16 PM PDT

•  Fifty fabulous shades of violet eom (2+ / 0-)
      corvo, white blitz