View Diary: Saturday Morning Home Repair V7.47 - The Painter (99 comments)

•  G'morning (17+ / 0-)

It's a beautiful morning here in NE Ohio. I'd love to be playing outside but we've hit this weird stretch of rainy hours over the past few days that make it too difficult to get any real work done. It hits heavily for a few hours then it's back to sunshine and blue skies. Lovely, but a pain, LOL.

I think a group diary would be lovely. I know I have gained from my far too few visits here.

I'll post some pics of the great PVC adventure as soon as the coffee is ready. I also have some patio pride to share but wonder if it might not be more of a diary than a comment.

Peace.

Creativity is intelligence having fun.

by Ninepatch on Sat Jun 29, 2013 at 06:41:35 AM PDT

•  Yes please, do a patio diary. (14+ / 0-)

To make others less happy is a crime. To make ourselves unhappy is where all crime starts. We must try to contribute joy to the world. That is true no matter what our problems, our health, our circumstances. We must try. Roger Ebert

by lexalou on Sat Jun 29, 2013 at 06:58:52 AM PDT

•  Hi Ninepatch! Great to see you here again... (12+ / 0-)

We'd love a patio diary, and I'll keep asking about a group diary - I think SMHRB has changed a few people's efforts for the better, at least, so there should be enough material for one!

Hope your great PVC adventure turned out ok; I did some CPVC water piping once and blew a fitting off when I turned the water on too soon, then drove an insulation staple thru a length of it in a closet, setting off ANOTHER gush of water. I admit I'm not the best plumber around...
      John

"When governments fear people, there is liberty. When the people fear the government, there is tyranny." Thomas Jefferson

by CodeTalker on Sat Jun 29, 2013 at 07:46:21 AM PDT

•  Speaking of patios... (7+ / 0-)

can anyone tell me why not to use Roofing Granules as crack/grout filler for a bluestone patio. The roofing granules come in various colors and are suppose to be crushed stone.

This is to fill up those tiny (3/8") spaces between each 18 x 18 bluestone square that make up the patio.

I spent a lot of time to carefully put in a dry well and drainage system for the patio base, so polymeric sand is NOT going down as the grout filler on that patio. And I cannot find crushed bluestone to use as the filler. Only a gray limestone and I don't like it.

So, I either use roofing granules in a color I want OR buy some chicken grit that is crushed granite (but again it's gray/whitish color).

Any ideas on the roofing granules or other suggestions?

A society grows great when old men plant trees in whose shade they know they shall never sit.

by bronte17 on Sat Jun 29, 2013 at 01:42:36 PM PDT

•  I don't see why not (6+ / 0-)

Granules actually are a form of crushed stone and only slightly larger than sand, so they should stay in place better. If not too expensive it sounds like a great approach.

My buddy used crushed stone between his bluestones, and added a "stabilizer" that was supposed to "bond" them together and keep them in place longer. It turned out to be a waste of time and money. Better to just replace any that washes away, so get extra for down the road.

Let us know how it turns out, OK?
        John

by CodeTalker on Sat Jun 29, 2013 at 04:14:10 PM PDT

•  If that patio ever gets finished... (5+ / 0-)

I may volunteer to do a Saturday morning diary to fill the voids that come up in the SMHR schedule.

We've been good about keeping pictures on the progress and the work, so perhaps there is a kind of pictorial "how to" for folks to see.  What you won't see is the blood, sweat and tears I've poured into a simple bluestone patio.

Anyway, the filler is the last leg before the landscaping goes down around it, so I wanted to make sure those roofing granules didn't turn to concrete down inside the gravel base and mess up my drainage system. That's why sand has been avoided.

by bronte17 on Sat Jun 29, 2013 at 07:38:33 PM PDT