View Diary: R.I.P. AltaVista (56 comments)

•  I used it from the beginning too. I use Bing now, (4+ / 0-)

hardly ever pull up Google.
    DEC was a giant once, it couldn't keep it up.
    I slung buckets of bits on PDP's and VAX, although they were just peripherals to the big iron we wrassled with.

A damned good read, albiet about a Data General tech development program, is "The Soul of A New Machine" by Tracy Kidder. If you're a techie geek or nerd you'll luv it.

We’re Ready, Wendy’s Ready! WTF Are We Waiting For? Bring ‘em on! The revolution has begun! Come and take it!

by Bluefin on Sat Jun 29, 2013 at 12:27:26 AM PDT

•  I was resistant to Bing (2+ / 0-)
      louisprandtl, EverGrateful

Then when Google Chrome started acting out and demanding that I upgrade my entire operating system--for a browser?!--I tried Bing and grew to like it.

"I am not interested in picking up crumbs of compassion thrown from the table of someone who considers himself my master. I want the full menu of rights." (From "You Said a Mouthful" by Bishop Desmond Tutu - South African bishop & activist, b.1931)

by FiredUpInCA on Sat Jun 29, 2013 at 12:35:36 AM PDT

•  Tried Bing only because it seemed stupid to (1+ / 0-)
        FiredUpInCA

not even give it a chance just because it was from Microsoft. Searched I Can Has Cheezeburger and it gave me a link to a several-days-old version of the front page so I said, "Yep, same ol' Microsoft" and went back to Firefox.

If you want to view Flash content on your Android phone I highly recommend Puffin.

Divide And Conquer only works if we allow ourselves to be divided--let's not

by EverGrateful on Sat Jun 29, 2013 at 05:51:52 AM PDT

•  Avoid Flash like the plague. (2+ / 0-)
          EverGrateful, FiredUpInCA

by Bluefin on Sat Jun 29, 2013 at 01:32:32 PM PDT

•  Really? (1+ / 0-)
            FiredUpInCA

I know it's on it's way out but so many sites still have Flash-only content.  Am I taking security risks viewing Flash content? Thanks for any and all advice.

Divide And Conquer only works if we allow ourselves to be divided--let's not

by EverGrateful on Sat Jun 29, 2013 at 02:34:16 PM PDT

•  Does a beat shit in the woods? Lots of us have (1+ / 0-)
              FiredUpInCA

regarded Flash/Macromedia as a form of virus. If you've ever tried to remove it you'd know.
              As far as sites, I just forgo those ones, and it's irritating as a lot of badly written commercial ones offer no alternative no-flash view.

Look into it  ( start here  ), Flash has always been very insecure; and it tracks you (LSO's) and messes around like no other legitimate software would dare.

Am I taking security risks viewing Flash content?

by Bluefin on Sat Jun 29, 2013 at 04:27:11 PM PDT

•  Bing works great for me. I never would touch (2+ / 0-)
        EverGrateful, FiredUpInCA

Chrome. Anytime a software app doesn't allow a separate, discrete downloaded installation file/process and just wants an invisible, total control install, I pass on it.

Besides, there is no better browser than Opera, not now, not ever; it's simply the best (and has been first with most of the signifigant browser features).

by Bluefin on Sat Jun 29, 2013 at 01:42:11 PM PDT

•  Felt sorry for the "shorter than a season" guy (1+ / 0-)
      EverGrateful

IIRC he quit after not being able to find intermittent, fractions-of-a-microsecond glitches in the circuitry, and retired to a tent in the wilderness, vowing to concern himself no more with any interval of time shorter than a season.

The Dutch kids' chorus Kinderen voor Kinderen wishes all the world's children freedom from hunger, ignorance, and war. ☮ ♥ ☺

by lotlizard on Sat Jun 29, 2013 at 05:45:59 AM PDT

•  I actually used to find stuff like that. You had (1+ / 0-)
        lotlizard

to wrassle the hardware and the assembly code/instructions simultaneously. Fun times, best ever, now it's mostly 'black box' ware.
        Somebody referenced the movie "War Games" computer was up for auction, nobody mentioned the Tektronix 453(?) in the background, heh. My home workshop Tek 485 nabs picoseconds, and it's at least twenty five years old; the new stuff is awesome and wicked fast.

by Bluefin on Sat Jun 29, 2013 at 01:31:19 PM PDT

•  Wow. What comes next? Femtoseconds? n/t (0+ / 0-)

by lotlizard on Sat Jun 29, 2013 at 03:56:58 PM PDT

•  Attoseconds, zeptoseconds, yoctoseconds, (1+ / 0-)
            lotlizard

then:  One Planck time tP =  ≈ 5.4×10-44 s[1] is the briefest physically meaningful span of time.

Oh darn, I forgot about the attention span of a typical teabagger, it's even shorter...

And I meant nanoseconds, not picoseconds above, urk...that 485 sweep isn't that fast  ;]  .

by Bluefin on Sat Jun 29, 2013 at 04:15:03 PM PDT

•  DEC started swirling the bowl (1+ / 0-)
      EverGrateful

when Compaq bought them

Fear doesn't just breed incomprehension. It also breeds a spiteful, resentful hate of anyone and everyone who is in any way different from you.

by awesumtenor on Sat Jun 29, 2013 at 07:22:25 AM PDT