View Diary: Gulf Watchers Sunday Block Party: "Too Much Stuff" Edition (219 comments)

•  What are you ones eating this summer? (7+ / 0-)

I have a bad relationship with food in the summer. it's just too hard. Ideas?

My latest thing is almond butter and jelly sammies. The almond butter is like eating gold. I was at work and one of the temps was going to Whole Foods and i asked her to get me some almond butter as there was so much work I had no time to shop. So, off she goes and I give her $7.00 for the almond butter. She comes back and says that they were out of the Whole Foods brand but she got me another brand that cost a bit more. By that, she meant $6.50 more. The almond butter was $13.50 and we are not talking huge jar. So, I am eating my almond butter and jelly sammies as if they were made of gold. Gold is probably cheaper, pound for pound.

"Southern nights have you ever felt a southern night?" Allen Toussaint ~~Remember the Gulf of Mexico~~

by rubyr on Sun Jun 30, 2013 at 04:50:27 PM PDT

•  There is NO butter worth $13.50!! NONE!!! (6+ / 0-)

Even If I had money.....and besides I hate almonds.  See, case closed!!!

•  We're eating a lot of homemade Thai lately (5+ / 0-)

Some of it is very healthy, other dishes not so much, but it is all very, very tasty and perfect for summer.

Tonight, in fact, I'm cooking. Kang Dang (red) curry chicken. I like it better with duck but we're trying to be good.

With a glance to comments above, one of the mints we have is a lemon mint and it is far more lemony than minty so I use it instead of lemon grass. I won't admit that I just forgot to get lemon grass at the market.

Almond butter, yum. Almonds are one of the prime local crops in the valley below us. Locals pronounce it with a short 'a' as in 'ambulance'. I've always found that strange. The local papers are carrying stories of thefts -- evidently the crops are so valuable that it is worth the risk to make off with big trucks full of nuts.

Tofu knows nothing but what is good for you. -- dharmasyd

by Darryl House on Sun Jun 30, 2013 at 05:01:44 PM PDT

•  Oh, yum... (5+ / 0-)

My favorite is tom kha gai. That's about as complicated as I get.

I used to have a little patch of lemon grass at our last abode, but I forgot to bring any with me.

Oh well. I just have to buy it now.

Everyone, rich or poor, deserves a shelter for the soul. -- Sam Mockbee ~~~For handmade silver jewelry, click here.~~~

by Lorinda Pike on Sun Jun 30, 2013 at 05:15:43 PM PDT

•  Anything green curry for me - and to my surprise, (4+ / 0-)

the pot of lemongrass is doing okay on my window sill.

If we do not permit the earth to produce beauty and joy, it will in the end not produce food, either. - Joseph Wood Krutch

by DawnN on Sun Jun 30, 2013 at 05:29:01 PM PDT

•  I know this absolutely isn't a troll diary, but.. (4+ / 0-)
            Phil S 33, Darryl House, DawnN, shanesnana

... here's a recipe for you and DH. It's easy. It's not curry, but it's good!

Chicken Pad See Ew

Ingredients

One 8-ounce package wide rice noodles (fresh noodles optional)
                1 1/2 cups broccoli, cut into bite-size florets
                2 tablespoons vegetable oil
                4 tablespoons sweet soy sauce
                2 chicken breasts, sliced diagonally into thin pieces
                1 egg white plus 1 whole egg
                1 tablespoon oyster sauce
                1 tablespoon distilled white vinegar
                2 cloves garlic, minced, optional
                Salt and freshly ground black pepper

Place the dry rice noodles in a bowl and cover with hot water. Let the noodles soak until they are white and soft but not mushy, about 10 minutes. Drain and
            set them aside. (If you use a sheet of fresh rice noodles, cut them into 1-inch-wide lengths.)

Bring a small pot of water to a boil and cook the broccoli briefly, 1 to 2 minutes. Drain and set aside. (I don't do this. I steam the broccoli in a Ziplock steamer bag.)

Heat a wok over medium heat and add 1 tablespoon oil. Stir in 2 tablespoons sweet soy sauce, the chicken and 1 egg white. Stir constantly until the chicken is partially cooked and the egg white has set. Set this aside to rest.

Heat the wok over medium heat and add the remaining oil. Stirring constantly, add in 1 whole egg, the rice noodles, remaining soy sauce, oyster sauce,
            vinegar, garlic, if using, and some salt and pepper. Add the chicken and broccoli mixture and stir to incorporate. Cook this until the chicken is white and tender. Serve immediately.

by Lorinda Pike on Sun Jun 30, 2013 at 05:36:30 PM PDT

•  Could you elucidate, please? Like a hint (4+ / 0-)

re: what it is and how you make it. ha ha ha ha

by rubyr on Sun Jun 30, 2013 at 05:37:10 PM PDT

•  Hi Lorinda! (4+ / 0-)
          Lorinda Pike, Phil S 33, DawnN, rubyr

Yes! Tom kha gai is so excellent. We're finally able to get fresh galangal where we could only get dried before. It makes such a difference.

Both tom kha and tom yum are delectable and pretty easy to make, I think.

For the uninitiated, these are essentially soups. gai is chicken, the main difference between kha and yum is coconut milk.

Tofu knows nothing but what is good for you. -- dharmasyd

by Darryl House on Sun Jun 30, 2013 at 05:31:42 PM PDT

•  Along with my lemongrass, I used to have (3+ / 0-)
            rubyr, Darryl House, DawnN

a few Thai peppers. You needed to file an environmental impact statement before you sliced them.

They were deadly. And not even industrial-strength Prilosec would stop the heartburn that I'd get if I ate them now.

(We used to go to the Thai House and order stuff Thai hot. The owners initially laughed at us, and asked, "Are you sure?" Then they were impressed that we didn't explode, and we came back for more!)

by Lorinda Pike on Sun Jun 30, 2013 at 05:46:24 PM PDT

•  I get the same reaction! (4+ / 0-)
              DawnN, Lorinda Pike, Phil S 33, rubyr

When I say "Thai hot", I mean it, damnit.

We're growing a lot of peppers this year (but not too much else), serrano, jalapeno, thai, and... wait for it... ghost peppers.

There have been a few articles lately about GMO and how most peppers have been "westernized" to be less hot. Ours are grown from seeds that claim to be unmodified. We'll see :)

Tofu knows nothing but what is good for you. -- dharmasyd

by Darryl House on Sun Jun 30, 2013 at 06:01:46 PM PDT

•  Wow. Almond thieves. No wonder it cost (4+ / 0-)

so much.