View Diary: Germany party leader: Snowden should get safe haven in europe (97 comments)

•  Tainted food? Tourist murders? (1+ / 0-)
    sviscusi

Truly amazing the lengths some will go here.

As for NATO, if the Euros didn't want it to still exist...it wouldn't. Same with the UN.

I was gonna listen to that, but then, um, I just carried on living my life. - Aldous Snow

by GoGoGoEverton on Mon Jul 01, 2013 at 07:01:59 AM PDT

•  Umm, most Europeans won't eat (3+ / 0-)
      lotlizard, mkor7, fran1

GMO products willingly, and have no patience for beef that hasn't been BSE-tested at the level of the individual cow.

As for your second paragraph, I'm sure there's plenty of pressure on European states to keep NATO going, because there are no real material benefits to its continued existence, and no enemies against which the org was supposedly created.

Dogs from the street can have all the desirable qualities that one could want from pet dogs. Most adopted stray dogs are usually humble and exceptionally faithful to their owners as if they are grateful for this kindness. -- H.M. Bhumibol Adulyadej

by corvo on Mon Jul 01, 2013 at 07:09:46 AM PDT

•  Oh, and how often are American tourists (0+ / 0-)

murdered in Europe?

You can dismiss European concerns as foolish, but that in itself will hardly give them an incentive to come here.

by corvo on Mon Jul 01, 2013 at 07:10:51 AM PDT

•  I'll dismiss that you speak for 'Europe' (0+ / 0-)

and leave it there.

France, Germany and the UK were all in the top 10 in tourism spending in the US last year:

And in 2011:

And how often are European tourists murdered in the US? One 16 year old pops two tourists and now all of a sudden the entire US is Juarez?

by GoGoGoEverton on Mon Jul 01, 2013 at 07:15:31 AM PDT

•  I don't speak for "Europe" (0+ / 0-)

just for the Europeans I know, who are all aware of just how gun-obsessed and violent we are.

Your stats are meaningless unless they demonstrate that everyone who might want to visit the USA is actually doing so.  And guess what -- they don't.

by corvo on Mon Jul 01, 2013 at 07:17:54 AM PDT

•  Or accosted by Gypsies on the subway in Rome or (0+ / 0-)

Paris?

Sheesh.

Happy little moron, Lucky little man.
        I wish I was a moron, MY GOD, Perhaps I am!
        —Spike Milligan

by polecat on Mon Jul 01, 2013 at 07:50:53 AM PDT

•  I was "accosted" by Roma all the time, (1+ / 0-)
          polecat

most strikingly inside the Paderborn Cathedral.  (Apparently any venue is licit for some folks.)  And somehow both I and my pocketbook survived intact.

by corvo on Mon Jul 01, 2013 at 07:53:58 AM PDT

•  Also, the UN isn't quite the instrument (0+ / 0-)

of American hegemony it once was, except when it comes to MENA matters.  Pretty galling for the Beltway folks, I know.

by corvo on Mon Jul 01, 2013 at 07:12:12 AM PDT