View Diary: Thirteen photos that will make you fall in love with America all over again (151 comments)

•  While these are gorgeous photos . . . (26+ / 0-)

It is pictures of its people that make me fall in love with America.  We're more than a geography, we're an idea. We rarely fully live up to the ideal, but we still try.

(Not to take anything away from these beautiful, beautiful photos).

•  Where's Manhattan's people? (7+ / 0-)

A picture of the F train on a Tuesday at 2am is just as inspiring to me, in a weird way.

•  NYC Penn Station at rush hour - (16+ / 0-)

that's the pic that makes me stay in love with America.  As a commuter from NJ, I pass through Penn Station on most days - and every time, I just marvel at the throngs - every shape, size and color that you can imagine.  It is a wonder. You can't anymore real America than that.

Most of the folks telling President Obama how to do his job, couldn't be president if their lives depended on it. ...Mrs. Mills, 2013

by CrissieP on Thu Jul 04, 2013 at 08:26:04 AM PDT

•  Cities are not reality (0+ / 0-)

Our human lineage goes back 2-3 million years. Modern human physiology goes back almost 250 thousand years. Cities as we know them only go back about 8-10 thousand years.

To me the throngs in Penn Station (I've been there) are just another manifestation of our ancient hunter-gatherer mentality and we have a hard time cutting ourselves loose from the emotional bonds that goes with being a hunter-gatherer.

If you had been alive 25 thousand years ago the "throngs" would have been smaller but no less intent on the daily goals of finding enough food and water for the tribe. And that is what we have lost. We try to substitute nationalism for the tribe. It doesn't work. In the end we have an extremely small group of people foisting their beliefs on the "throngs" for their own self interest while they use coded language to force us to accept the fact that we are virtual slaves on a virtual plantation.

Knowledge is Power. Ignorance is not bliss, it is suffering. If you like hypocrite Obama, you'll love hypocrite Hillary.

by harris stein on Thu Jul 04, 2013 at 09:50:45 AM PDT

•  They feel real to me (4+ / 0-)
            markdd, mikidee, betelgeux, auapplemac

By your logic, antibiotics aren't reality either, but I'll take 'em.

•  Ozymandias (0+ / 0-)

I met a traveller from an antique land
               Who said: Two vast and trunkless legs of stone
               Stand in the desart. Near them, on the sand,
               Half sunk, a shattered visage lies, whose frown,
               And wrinkled lip, and sneer of cold command,
               Tell that its sculptor well those passions read
               Which yet survive, stamped on these lifeless things,
               The hand that mocked them and the heart that fed:
               And on the pedestal these words appear:
               "My name is Ozymandias, king of kings:
               Look on my works, ye Mighty, and despair!"
               Nothing beside remains. Round the decay
               Of that colossal wreck, boundless and bare
               The lone and level sands stretch far away.

Percy Bysshe Shelley

by harris stein on Thu Jul 04, 2013 at 10:35:26 AM PDT

•  like hell (1+ / 0-)
            betelgeux

Global population is now over 52% urban.  Its a huge change and unlikely to reverse itself.

"Don't be defeatist, dear. It's very middle class." - Violet Crawley

by nightsweat on Thu Jul 04, 2013 at 10:59:05 AM PDT

•  And yet I choose to live in a small town (0+ / 0-)

20k and happy for it. Does this 52% live there because it wants to or because it has to?

What stronger breast-plate than a heart untainted! Thrice is he arm'd, that hath his quarrel just; And he but naked, though lock'd up in steel, Whose conscience with injustice is corrupted. King Henry, scene ii

by TerryDarc on Sat Jul 06, 2013 at 09:09:07 AM PDT

•  Oddly, (0+ / 0-)

you may not be representative of the average person.

Did people live on the farm because they wanted to?  I'll refer you to the immortal words of Joe Young snd Sam Davis as sung by Nora Bayes -

"Don't be defeatist, dear. It's very middle class." - Violet Crawley

by nightsweat on Mon Jul 08, 2013 at 09:47:30 AM PDT

•  what? (3+ / 0-)
            betelgeux, ItsaMathJoke, auapplemac

your comment was wasted on me.  I was only trying to articulate why I love America.  I wasn't really looking for an anthropological analysis.  Happy 4th -

by CrissieP on Thu Jul 04, 2013 at 12:07:30 PM PDT

•  I'm not a Luddite (0+ / 0-)

I just don't share your take on modern life in America. America today is dystopic and the economic powers use cities in America today as a means of control and not as a means of improving peoples lives.

The cultural life of cities is what makes them beautiful. That improves peoples lives. Now if you were speaking of Grand Central Terminal, that is a cultural icon. Penn Station isn't.

I'm sorry if you misinterpreted my comment.

by harris stein on Thu Jul 04, 2013 at 12:31:16 PM PDT

•  THE PEOPLE - (4+ / 0-)
                hayden, auapplemac, Debby, VPofKarma

I love the mix of people that live in the NY metropolitan area - and I get to see them in all of their glory when I pass through Penn Station.  Penn Station is an armpit - my comment had nothing to do with Penn Station - it had to do with the people who pass through it.   I bristle when people like Sarah Palin and her ilk refer to the midwest and other non-urban parts of the country as the "real America."  In my opinion, a steamy street corner in the Bronx is just as much "real America" as is a cornfield in IA.   Therefore, the picture that I would have shown to illustrate why I love America would have been a crowded transportation hub through which EVERY kind of person who currently inhabits this country travels.  Scenic views, while beautiful, don't begin to fully capture the true beauty of America for me - AND economic powers use cities, suburbs, farms and everything in between as a means of control.  MY COMMENT WAS ABOUT THE BEAUTY OF THE PEOPLE and the millions of different lives they live that intersect in a few moments every day.  It was really no deeper than that.  I don't feel I've ever had a comment here so thoroughly misunderstood - and I never thought I was such a bad writer.

by CrissieP on Thu Jul 04, 2013 at 02:30:10 PM PDT

•  No hunter gathers - no food, no clothes, etc. Also (1+ / 0-)
            CrissieP

no adventurers to discover what's over the next hill.

I really feel sorry for those who look at everything through a negative filter.

It’s the Supreme Court, stupid! Followed by: It's always the Supreme Court! Progressives will win only when we convince a majority that they, too, are Progressive.

by auapplemac on Thu Jul 04, 2013 at 07:44:10 PM PDT

•  How about a haiku? (0+ / 0-)

You like big cities
              We love the open country
              Two flowers, one people