View Diary: Allen West is mad at Lady Gaga and ... oh, what's the point (129 comments)

•  America the Beutiful (12+ / 0-)

is a much lovlier piece and significantly easier on the voice and ears.

Now if I could only get out of the habit of singing " and crown thy good with Robin Hood"  picked up somewhere around the third grade...

Democrats give you the Bill of Rights; Republicans sell you a bill of goods!

by barbwires on Tue Jul 02, 2013 at 07:26:04 PM PDT

•  I pity our elementary school music teacher. (4+ / 0-)
      The Marti, skohayes, barbwires, msmacgyver

Six grades, kindergarten through fifth, mainly raised in and currently residing in Georgia. She had to get us to sing the national anthem, first verse at the very least, on Field Day every year. Which meant usually a week or two of practice in the few music class sessions we had - maybe four hours at the most with plenty of time for forgetting or 'forgetting'.

We lived within traveling distance for Saturday and Sunday baseball games. In Atlanta.

Yes, every year in just about every class, some kid thought or claimed to think "and home of the Braves, PLAY BALL!" was how the national anthem ended.

•  Those are the grades where we learn how to be a (2+ / 0-)
        barbwires, Bulldawg

smartass...unless we are genetically predisposed to it.

Guess where yours truly fits on the spectrum?  heh.

Those are also the grades where we first start with Mis-heard Lyrics, which give us soooo much pleasure for the rest of our lives.

And the point at which some of us start making up lyrics for the sheer fun of it.

Gladly, My Cross-Eyed Bear
        Andy Walks With Me
        There's A Bathroom On The Ride

ahhhhhh, music!

We cannot call ourselves a civilised society if we refuse to protect the weakest among us.

by The Marti on Wed Jul 03, 2013 at 02:34:04 AM PDT

•  I'll never hear it the same way again. thnx! ;-) (1+ / 0-)
      barbwires

by The Marti on Wed Jul 03, 2013 at 02:34:40 AM PDT

•  yes, but ... (2+ / 0-)
      Praxical, Prof Haley

... as a drinking song, the Star-Spangled Banner somehow sounds like it was meant to be brayed along to by a large group of people intoxicated to various degrees.  And to me, that sounds inherently more democratic than the best singers gliding through AtB.

•  yes, and... (1+ / 0-)
        Praxical

The idea that the Star-Spangled Banner, a drinking song, should be sung with great reverence is yet another absurdity which great patriotic right-wingers have forced upon us. All Hail, Chairman Allen West.

"They are united in their hatred of me, and I welcome their hatred." - FDR... "They are united in their hatred of me, and I would like to invite them to a nice luncheon and discuss how I might better meet their needs." - BHO

by ebrann on Wed Jul 03, 2013 at 07:44:47 PM PDT

•  Star Spangled Banner...Great reverence. (2+ / 0-)
          Praxical, JBraden

I wonder what Allen West thinks of the reverence of the  Jimi Hendrix version.
          Or the version by Slash.
          Or Ted Nugent.
          Or Jeff Beck.
          Or the really version by Stevie Ray Vaughn played on a (gasp!) SLIDE.

Piss off Allen.

"In this world of sin and sorrow there is always something to be thankful for; as for me, I rejoice that I am not a Republican." - H. L. Mencken

by SueDe on Wed Jul 03, 2013 at 09:15:05 PM PDT

•  Or if ... (1+ / 0-)
            SueDe

... Someone sang the first four lines as Albert Brooks once suggested:
            While we stand here waiting
            For the ball game to start;
            Let's give thanks for our homes
            With their two-car garages ...

•  Oh that's good! (0+ / 0-)

It took me a while to catch on to Albert Brooks' low-key comedy.  Once I did, though, now he cracks me up.

by SueDe on Thu Jul 04, 2013 at 12:38:14 PM PDT

•  A drinking song all about getting laid. (0+ / 0-)

To put the torture behind us is, inevitably, to put it in front of us.

by UntimelyRippd on Wed Jul 03, 2013 at 09:07:53 PM PDT