View Diary: Maybe if we take “White Guilt” out of the equation it will be easier to understand? (172 comments)

•  I don't feel White guilt...but I've had 2 cars (0+ / 0-)

Stolen.  Right out of my driveway.  First time was 6 years ago.  The cops found it about 4 weeks later, and I talked to them after they recovered it about 4 miles from my home.  They gave me a pretty good idea of who had stolen it, based upon a number of factors.  The neighbor across the street actually saw the thieves drive off in my car, and his description of the car thieves pretty much matched up with what the cops told me.

Second time I had a car stolen my neighbor actually had a videocam that captured it.  The thief didn't have red hair...let's just say that.  I get tired of this.  I also interrupted a car theft in my neighborhood, with my other neighbor as the victim, but not before they had jimmied the car door open with a crow bar.  That's 3 car thefts that I am intimately aware of within 6 years...and they all had one thing in common.

Experience is a harsh teacher.

Cause he gets up in the morning, And he goes to work at nine, And he comes back home at five-thirty, Gets the same train every time.

by Keith930 on Wed Jul 03, 2013 at 08:54:02 PM PDT

•  Black people steal cars? (9+ / 0-)

Yes. Sometimes they do. Many, many Black people drive very expensive cars that they bought, or are paying an expensive lease on.

Three experiences lead to an understanding of a Race of people who live on multiple continents of the world?

You need to get out more.

"Jersey_Boy" was taken.

by New Jersey Boy on Wed Jul 03, 2013 at 09:09:50 PM PDT

•  Point being what? (4+ / 0-)

Your insurance rates should be higher because you attract car thieves like a magnet?

A waist is a terrible thing to mind.

by edg on Wed Jul 03, 2013 at 09:10:51 PM PDT

•  I wish I didn't understand what you and the (7+ / 0-)

person who recommended your comment meant.  I wonder if you read the diary, as I explicitly stated that "White Guilt" is neither appropriate nor useful unless you have done something to merit it AND it compels you to make restitution.

I included White Guilt in the title of the diary because the concept of  White Guilt tends to creep into conversations about white privilege and derail them.

- The hope of a secure and livable world lies with disciplined nonconformists who are dedicated to justice, peace and brotherhood. Martin Luther King, Jr. -

by FreeWoman19 on Wed Jul 03, 2013 at 09:17:08 PM PDT

•  Reminds me of a 'wise saying' (1+ / 0-)
        Bridge Master

Can't remember where I read or heard this:

I am responsible for 100% of what I say, and 50% of that you hear.
        Your diary is really excellent IMHO. Very well said. But reading through the comment thread, we see that no matter what one says or how well one says it, some people are going to "hear" something else, some distorted version.

It's all part of the conversation we need to have, I suppose.

•  What does whether (8+ / 0-)

or not you had cars stolen have to do with the sociological truth of whether or not white privilege exists?  There are all sorts of privileges-- white privilege, male privilege, the often unrecognized linguistic privilege, Christian privilege, straight,  etc --that doesn't mean that people who enjoy this privilege are somehow immune to bad thing  happening.  It just means they enjoy advantages others don't.

•  Lack of opportunity. (2+ / 0-)
      peregrine kate, Ray Blake

Thieves commit the most lucrative, least risky crimes they have the opportunity to commit.

Your car thieves just didn't have the opportunity to rob widows and orphans with the stroke of a pen. Given the opportunity, they would prefer the more lucrative and less risky crime.

But I understand your feelings. I feel visceral dislike of Republicans partly because the company my dad worked for was destroyed by Republicans because the owners made the mistake of being active Democrats in a Republican majority area of our state into the 80's. Others of their circle who transitioned politically went unmolested.

The working poor haven’t abdicated responsibility for their lives. They’re drowning in it. -Ezra Klein

by bubbajim on Thu Jul 04, 2013 at 07:02:07 AM PDT

•  I can't say I care for your analogy. (0+ / 0-)

Do Black people have a policy of auto theft? Is that part of our platform? Do we vote Black car thieves into positions of power? Should Keith930 assume Zimmerman like that when he sees a "not red headed person" he should call the cops or shoot them because we're all up to no good?

He is intellectually dishonest enough to try and couch this racist bullshit but other Kossacks don't have to buy into it. Someone like him is likely to swear up and down that I am the racist for assuming he was talking about Black people and that my interpretation of his comment is all just one huge misunderstanding. Attention seeking troll behavior is best left ignored.

"Someone just turned the lights on in the bar and the sexiest state doesn't look so pretty anymore" CA Treasurer Bill Lockyer on Texas budget mess

by CaliSista on Thu Jul 04, 2013 at 01:08:19 PM PDT

•  Poor whites, asians and hispanics steal cars too (0+ / 0-)

Obviously your chances of having your car stolen are higher if you're in a low income area. Millionaires don't steal cars. If they steal, it's the high tickets items like pension funds, investments, mortgages and the like.

I never liked you and I always will.

by Ray Blake on Thu Jul 04, 2013 at 01:56:21 PM PDT

•  What did this experience teach you? (0+ / 0-)

That black people are car thieves?

I'm sorry this happened to you. But if you had familiarity with black people as your teachers in school, friends at work, your family doctor, would it teach you the same lesson?

That is the point of this diary. Your limited positive interactions with black people in your day-to-day environment probably predisposes you to such "lessons."