View Diary: What Do You Think Of This Racial Comment? (77 comments)

•  Think of it as the equivalent of the Grammar (0+ / 0-)

Nazis. One misplaced apostrophe and the rest of the diary doesn't count.

Good diary. And a nice comeback, for an off the cuff reply.

As to your main point, it's going to take some thinking. It strikes me that once "white privilege" gets thrown in to an argument, any real discussion has been derailed, however accurate the concept may be, but I'm still working out where I'm coming from on that.

At least half the future I've been expecting hasn't gotten here yet. Sigh.... (Yes, there's gender bias in my name; no, I wasn't thinking about it when I signed up. My apologies.)

by serendipityisabitch on Thu Jul 04, 2013 at 11:14:18 AM PDT

•  Actually it is writing 101. The first sentence of (2+ / 0-)

any written material is second only in importance to the title.

Sometimes talking to your editor can be a bitch. Especially when you thought you nailed it and didn't.

give the NRA the Royal Flush join Stop The NRA

by 88kathy on Thu Jul 04, 2013 at 01:39:21 PM PDT

•  One would hope that you'd then apply this (0+ / 0-)

dictum to every other diary where the first sentence didn't do much to forward the story the diary is telling, and mention to the author why they should have written a different lead-in? You'll be busy - my estimate is that at least half of the diaries in the Recent list start off that way.

Sorry, 88kathy, but I don't buy it. Even if I thought that any particular commenter was justified in acting as an editor on the GOS, I wouldn't buy it. It's an interesting diary, with - possibly - a fluff by the diarist at the beginning, and I haven't seen you commenting on anything except the fluff. Otoh, I haven't read all the new comments in the last hour or so, so if you have, I apologize.

by serendipityisabitch on Thu Jul 04, 2013 at 02:13:36 PM PDT

•  No particular commenter is an editor. However, I (0+ / 0-)

have seen diaries get editorial comments in the comment sections. And I have see diaries updated from the comments sections many times. Mostly my editorial comments have been to expand diaries I thought were good but too short.

Many times when I edited friend's essays for school, I crossed out the first 3 paragraphs. Usually putting them elsewhere in the piece.

It's not easy taking blue pen in public. A speedy edit with a hat tip to the commenter who suggested it makes it a little bump. I have seen this happen many times. I was trying to give the diarist a way out. That was not to be.

The resistance to a reasonable edit makes it red meat. And has an impact on the tone which the reader 'hears' in the piece.

give the NRA the Royal Flush join Stop The NRA

by 88kathy on Thu Jul 04, 2013 at 02:29:09 PM PDT

•  PS I know you are not calling me a fluffy nazi. (2+ / 0-)
          serendipityisabitch, Catte Nappe

Don't you just love the comment section.

give the NRA the Royal Flush join Stop The NRA

by 88kathy on Thu Jul 04, 2013 at 02:29:59 PM PDT

•  Chortle. No, you're right, I wasn't. (0+ / 0-)

Still, I thought there were valid points in the diary that very few people ever got to because of the first slew of "omg he's being sexist" comments.

by serendipityisabitch on Thu Jul 04, 2013 at 02:36:13 PM PDT

•  More meta thoughts - (1+ / 0-)
            88kathy

So many times the first few comments either set the tone for almost everything that follows, or start a flame war. It's hard for a lot of people to jump in with a comment once 'sides' have been declared, so many comments that might have led to real discussion tend not to be made at all. Especially on this type of topic.

by serendipityisabitch on Thu Jul 04, 2013 at 02:43:43 PM PDT

• Recommended (148)
  • Community (73)
  • 2016 (57)
  • Elections (47)
  • Environment (46)
  • Media (43)
  • Republicans (39)
  • Hillary Clinton (37)
  • Trans-Pacific Partnership (35)
  • Civil Rights (33)
  • Law (33)
  • Iraq (32)
  • Culture (32)
  • Barack Obama (32)
  • Jeb Bush (30)
  • Climate Change (30)
  • Economy (27)
  • Labor (25)
  • Bernie Sanders (21)
  • Congress (20)
  • Click here for the mobile view of the site