View Diary: Tedious Meta: Daily Kos is not a gameshow. (272 comments)

•  And then there's this (3+ / 0-)
    serendipityisabitch, wader, JBL55

from a diary (comments section) earlier today

The site has always had its (1+ / 0-)

share of the stupid. But over time we have been successful at driving out undesirables. Whether it is by actually auto banning them or by ganging up on them to harass them into wanting to leave, we have been able to (eventually) get riffraff to leave. The Snowden fan club is likely not going to be any different. They will tire of being mocked and will eventually not want to be with so many of us who "don't get it" and will leave. Or, they will change their minds (as many have over the past weeks as more info came out on just who this creep is). The way to enjoy this site is to a) not take it too seriously, especially those users and diaries that represent the world of stupid, and b) to have patience, because those elements eventually get run out of town.

Hang in there.

by doc2 on Thu Jul 04, 2013 at 02:44:50 PM PDT

Il est dangereux d’avoir raison dans des choses où des hommes accrédités ont tort. - Voltaire
    Don't trust anyone over 84414 - BentLiberal

by BentLiberal on Thu Jul 04, 2013 at 05:04:39 PM PDT

•  Probably a really stupid question, (0+ / 0-)

but isn't this the kind of comment that needs to be sent to Admin as a violation of something or other? Or does it just have to be shrugged at as more of the same?

At least half the future I've been expecting hasn't gotten here yet. Sigh.... (Yes, there's gender bias in my name; no, I wasn't thinking about it when I signed up. My apologies.)

by serendipityisabitch on Thu Jul 04, 2013 at 05:20:37 PM PDT

•  The unfortunate thing (1+ / 0-)
      wader

About the comment you cite is that the poster assumes that all the blame falls on one side. I assure you there is plenty of bad behavior coming from both sides in this current pie fight. I've seen people I know IRL, people for whom Ive had considerable respect and affection, behaving in very unattractive ways here recently, on both sides. Very sad.
      Whether both sides are organizing off site (something I think should be grounds for banning) I do not know.

by sidnora on Thu Jul 04, 2013 at 05:45:59 PM PDT

•  The thing is (2+ / 0-)
        wader, sidnora

is that I believe it would be almost impossible for DailyKos management to police any kind of offsite organizing, even if they wanted to.

Their jurisdiction (for the most part) ends where this website does.

Don't trust anyone over 84414 - BentLiberal

by BentLiberal on Thu Jul 04, 2013 at 06:28:13 PM PDT

•  I wouldn't expect them (0+ / 0-)

to be out monitoring FB for offsite organizing, but if clear evidence of such were brought to their attention?

Yes, their jurisdiction ends here. They are in no way responsible for how the users here interact outside of the site, and I'm saying that despite the memory of a couple of genuinely disturbing incidents, where unwelcome real-life contact happened between users. We're all theoretically grown ups here. But again, if clear evidence of egregious offsite behavior were brought to their attention (say, one user stalking another IRL), don't you think that should be grounds for summary banning?

by sidnora on Fri Jul 05, 2013 at 07:16:14 AM PDT

•  Well now you've jumped from (1+ / 0-)
            sidnora

"organizing off site (something I think should be grounds for banning)" to "clear evidence of egregious offsite behavior were brought to their attention (say, one user stalking another IRL)"

If you notice, I said "for the most part" their their adjudication ends where the site does.

Don't trust anyone over 84414 - BentLiberal

by BentLiberal on Fri Jul 05, 2013 at 01:43:19 PM PDT

•  You're right, that was pretty (0+ / 0-)

sloppy writing on my part.

I will admit that I'm just frustrated with this whole situation. I want DK to be taken seriously as a place where people can read, and write, well-thought out political commentary, as well as the functions I mentioned above. I hate to see people making an embarrassment of us. I realize Markos may have other ideas of what makes the site successful (i.e., what drives views and click-throughs), but I think he would agree that letting it devolve into a battleground for middle-school-level feuds is not one of them.

by sidnora on Fri Jul 05, 2013 at 06:54:12 PM PDT