View Diary: A Great Philosopher Named Popper - Foe of Intelligent Design-ers (38 comments)

•  No, I haven't written (12+ / 0-)

about him ever. I knew him in the late 60's and early 70's when he was doing work for the Dept. of Ag. He and my husband were both research chemists and they have at least one patent together. I was busy working and having our daughter, and we would join Karel for dinner from time to time. I don't even remember any specific thing we discussed, but the evenings always flew by. He had a good sense of humor. I used to save his Christmas cards but I think I finally threw them out [How stupid that was!] Man, that is a very long time ago.

"We have cast our lot with something bigger than ourselves" - President Obama, July 30, 2010

by Overseas on Thu Jul 04, 2013 at 02:00:08 PM PDT

•  If you ever change your mind, (7+ / 0-)

please shoot me a note: even this short comment was really interesting.

Saint, n. A dead sinner revised and edited. - Ambrose Bierce

by pico on Thu Jul 04, 2013 at 02:04:47 PM PDT

•  If I remember anything over the next days, (5+ / 0-)

I will send you a note. I think I met him for the first time when we were on vacation in Hawaii, but, of course, my husband knew him far longer. A bunch of the Ag people went for Chinese food in some obscure but terrific local restaurant, and Karel was there. That was a dinner to remember. Karel was liked by everyone.

by Overseas on Thu Jul 04, 2013 at 03:44:24 PM PDT

•  Messages aren't working, so (4+ / 0-)
        Matthias, Randtntx, pico, VeggiElaine

The memories are still evasive. I pulled one of my old address books and he was living in Danville, California at that time. I have a vague memory that he lived with his mother before her death.
        There were a bunch of scientists that found themselves together, worked together and spent time together after work. All brilliant, and they all loved to argue the world's problems. After Karel left California, he would still fly in to attend conferences even when they were not too exciting. Mostly the guys would all get together and play poker for hours each evening and argue whatever the topic of that day might be. They could and often did argue both sides of an issue - it was the interplay of the intellects that was important. The California men would make a "goodie" box up containing samples of all the products they had all run experiments on since the last conference and that box was presented to Karel to take home; he enjoyed that.
        The only other thing I can remember right now was when my husband called to tell me that Karel has passed away, so sad.
        They are all gone now passing one by one.

by Overseas on Fri Jul 05, 2013 at 01:33:56 AM PDT

•  I may have a picture of him (1+ / 0-)
        pico

from the 60's on top of Muana Kea [or Muana Loa?]. Most of my pictures were destroyed in a flood, but I'll look

by Overseas on Fri Jul 05, 2013 at 03:25:48 AM PDT

•  Nope, The only ones left (0+ / 0-)

are of my husband and one with Dr. Dollar. No Dr. Popper.

by Overseas on Fri Jul 05, 2013 at 11:53:47 AM PDT