View Diary: Oregon Legislature Passes Tuition-Free College Plan (141 comments)

•  ORY GUN (9+ / 0-)

Usually I agree with BlueOregon on nearly everthing, but I would like to dissent from the ORE GUN method of hearing and pronouncing the name. Out here in the boondocks, we say:

ORY to rhyme with Hoary
    GUN to rhyme with Fun

Emphasis on the OR

ORygun.

Figures don't lie, but liars do figure-Mark Twain

by OregonOak on Fri Jul 05, 2013 at 12:00:04 AM PDT

•  I've only heard it said that way (1+ / 0-)
      James Allen

in jest, never in conversation. never seriously.

Racial hostility, homophobia and misogyny are braided together like strands of the same rope. When we fight one, we fight them all. - Charles M. Blow

by blueoregon on Fri Jul 05, 2013 at 05:05:26 AM PDT

•  Wow, really? (1+ / 0-)
        TrueBlueMajority

I have only heard ORE gun (Is that ORA Gun or OR Gun) pronounced by local news people new to the area.

There was a popular window sticker not too long ago which had in Oregon Green and Yellow; ORYGUN. It was an effort to get people to say it correctly. I guess we have to agree to disagree, but thats not good because then the Outsiders wont have any guidance!

Figures don't lie, but liars do figure-Mark Twain

by OregonOak on Fri Jul 05, 2013 at 07:18:54 AM PDT

•  that's a UO sticker (1+ / 0-)
          koosah

and its not serious.

I'm a native 4th generation Oregonian and also never actually heard it said like that.

by James Allen on Fri Jul 05, 2013 at 10:34:50 AM PDT

•  Wow. I am a 6th Generation from Amity/Corvallis (0+ / 0-)

and I have hardly EVER heard  Or-Ah-Gun. Or... Or-Uh-Gun..or..anything else but:

Ory gun.. or if you prefer, Orie gun. The long e sound just after the Or sound.

And the bumper sticker was a serious attempt to correct TONS of other mispronunciations. I am finding it hard to believe that we are disagreeing so strongly on such a basic pronunciation. There must be a difference in how people actually HEAR the word, then attempt to imitate the "e" sound in writing.

I wasnt very interested in this topic, but now I am. Something going on here...

Figures don't lie, but liars do figure-Mark Twain

by OregonOak on Fri Jul 05, 2013 at 02:52:01 PM PDT

•  In Douglas County (0+ / 0-)

that's the only way I've ever heard it pronounced.  And families have been here for generations.

Mind you, they pronounce a lot of things differently out here than they do in cities.

•  Catesby, Now I am really determined to settle this (0+ / 0-)

Here in Western Oregon, as you know, we have boondocks too, just not endless skies. There are people around here who are from Eastern Oregon, the Dry Side, and I have only heard
          ORY gun. Is that the way you hear it? I had a friend, an old timer WW2 vet in Hermiston, and he said Ory gun, but with slightly less EE sound for the Oree. For him, it was Oraee gun. Kind of a mixuture of an a and an e sound. This is what puzzles me.. is it possible that people are actually hearing that EE sound as EA or AE or AA. Its possible there are several correct versions in that case depending on location and time?

I would like to know more because this apparently is one of those disagreements which never seems put to rest, and it seems odd that so many people hear the same vowel sound so differently.

Figures don't lie, but liars do figure-Mark Twain