View Diary: The job-killing Republican sequester (40 comments)

•  Respectfully, Albanius, the Administration issued (0+ / 0-)

a "veto threat" of the "repeal" of the Sequester back in September 2012.

Here's an excerpt and a link to the DefenseNews piece entitlted, "White House Issues Veto Threat of Sequestration Bill."

The White House on Sept. 12 issued a sharp veto threat of a bill tailored to avoid Pentagon budget cuts slated to take effect in January.

The veto threat came in a state of administration policy that stated White House officials believe the bill "fails the test of fairness and shared responsibility."

The legislation, called the National Security and Job Protection Act, was introduced by Rep. Allen West, R-Fla., who stringently opposes new defense cuts.

West's bill would slash $19 billion from discretionary spending accounts, and also contains language that would force the president to replace billions in cuts to planned Pentagon spending set to take effect Jan. 2.

Mollie

"Only he who can see the invisible, can do the impossible."-- Frank L. Gaines

hiddennplainsight

by musiccitymollie on Fri Jul 05, 2013 at 03:35:55 PM PDT

•  Respectfully, this supports my point (0+ / 0-)

"...the Dem idea was to make half the sequester cuts come from the military..."

There's no such thing as a free market!

by Albanius on Fri Jul 05, 2013 at 06:03:35 PM PDT

•  I'm sorry then, I don't follow what you're saying. (0+ / 0-)

The point is that we should "repeal" the Sequester, but the Administration refuses to repeal it.  They have issued a blanket veto threat--not just to West.

Instead, the Administration is only willing to discuss (and negotiate) "replacing" the sequester with a Grand Bargain--which is cuts to Social Security and Medicare which were included in the Administration's Budget.
        Actual "liberal" groups have been calling for only a "repeal"--with NO CUTS to Social Security and Medicare.

That's my point (which you may not have been addressing).

Here's the Forbes piece that I meant to post, below.

They reported that the President made the veto threat during his Press Conference after the SuperCommittee failed.

This was a blanket denouncement of a repeal (not targeted at Alan West or any one bill).

Obama: I Will Veto Attempts To Get Rid Of Automatic Spending Cuts
        President Barack Obama gave a press conference after the Supercommittee officially admitted it failed to reach an agreement to cut $1.2 trillion in budget spending over the next 10 years.

Obama told reporters he would veto any attempt to get rid of the automatic cuts which are set to kick in as a part of the sequester proposition, which will be triggered unless Congress reaches over the next year.

I'm unable to repost the video of Dem Rep (and Dem Leader) Chris Van Hollen stating this, because I'm on a computer that doesn't  have Flash Player on it (tonight).

But I've posted it at least twice.  It's in my comments.

In the video, Van Hollen declares that Dems will not "repeal" the sequester, but are willing to replace it with a Grand Bargain, so that they can address the long-term deficit (which means cutting "entitlements").

I'll repost the video when I get back my computer.  ;-)

Mollie

"Only he who can see the invisible, can do the impossible."-- Frank L. Gaines

hiddennplainsight

by musiccitymollie on Fri Jul 05, 2013 at 08:31:06 PM PDT

•  I agree (0+ / 0-)

apparently you "don't follow..."

That's my point (which you may not have been addressing).
          What part of   "What we need now is a long hot summer of END THE SEQUESTER NOW protests when congressmembers go home for vacation" didn't you follow?

Whatever Van Hollen said whenever, that is what we should be saying to all Congressmembers, D and R.

FWIW I helped organize protests against austerity, against all benefits cuts, against the sequester, but for cuts to the military and for tax increases on the 1%.

BTW your quotes from Forbes are out of context, from the year  2011, when sequester was only a threat.

What I don't follow is whether you agree with me and actual liberal groups, or with Allen West and Forbes.

There's no such thing as a free market!

by Albanius on Fri Jul 05, 2013 at 11:11:59 PM PDT

•  Good luck with your protests. As I mentioned (0+ / 0-)

already, Van Hollen (who is part of Dem Leadership) explains in the video that only one path is acceptable to the Democratic Party--"replacing" the Sequester with the Grand Bargain, which with implement cuts to both Social Security and Medicare."

They have been and are working (under the radar) "in committee" to accomplish this.  This is the solution backed by Tom Coburn and Jeff Sessions--both ultra right-wing Senators.  Also, Van Hollen has McCain and Lindsey Graham working with the Dems to "replace" the Sequester with the Grand Bargain.

So, I'll be happy to repost the C-Span clip of Van Hollen, when I'm on my own computer next week.

Hopefully, that will clarify the situation, as the Dem Leadership views it.

Mollie

"Only he who can see the invisible, can do the impossible."-- Frank L. Gaines

hiddennplainsight

by musiccitymollie on Sat Jul 06, 2013 at 09:58:08 AM PDT

•  I 'll see what I can do to pressure Schumer (0+ / 0-)

Thx for the heads up abt Van Hollen, I'll look into it when I get a chance.

There's no such thing as a free market!

by Albanius on Sun Jul 07, 2013 at 03:15:11 PM PDT