View Diary: This is Where You Live (95 comments)

•  I went to the doc you linked. (4+ / 0-)
    BigAlinWashSt, jrooth, Quicklund, ER Doc

I'm not seeing what you are, apparently.  Looks to me to be an updated version to enable more protection to be sought against hacking.  Maybe my reading comprehension is on the fritz.  Can you show us what specifically is bothering you in the text?

•  "Develop, test, implement." (6+ / 0-)

That's a difference.  They're tasked with developing new systems and policies to integrate all government and law enforcement activities.   This appears to be bigger and better police state stuff.

"America is the Terror State. The Global War OF Terror is a diabolical instrument of Worldwide conquest."

by BigAlinWashSt on Sat Jul 06, 2013 at 09:23:55 AM PDT

•  I get the improvement . . . (4+ / 0-)
        jrooth, Onomastic, Quicklund, ER Doc

. . . of the communications infrastructure (though it's funny to see the emphasis on radio, not inappropriate but just anachronistic).  But a lot of this looks like the old stuff they had.  Even the element of shutting down or prioritizing communications systems outside the federal government looks to be the kind of stuff we saw when government announcements could interrupt regularly scheduled programming.  And I do not see anywhere where it legalizes something that Snowden has revealed.

Sure, the government can coordinate its control of communications, but it could do that before without all this.  I'm sensing a mountain being made of a molehill at the most.

•  Depends on what they're going to develop (1+ / 0-)
          LaEscapee

and what they're planning on using it for.  That's what I don't trust.  Like I said, this appears to be a new effort, an upgrade.  But to what?

by BigAlinWashSt on Sat Jul 06, 2013 at 10:05:06 AM PDT

•  Well, yeah. (3+ / 0-)
            Onomastic, Quicklund, ER Doc
            Depends on what they're . . . using it for.
            But by that logic you could fault the Water Department for collecting the substance you could waterboard toddlers with.  At some point you have to figure the government isn't always out to get you.

We have so much to be worried about with what we know the government is doing or planning to do.  Do we really need to invent worse scenarios to excite us?

•  Imagine this (0+ / 0-)

One year ago when this was signed you didn't know. In light of current events shouldn't we consider what this meant at the time it flew under the radar?

There are no sacred cows.

by LaEscapee on Sat Jul 06, 2013 at 10:25:14 AM PDT

•  Well, we know what they did to Occupy (1+ / 0-)
              LaEscapee

without this new system or systems.  We know Homeland Security was a neocon generated creation to accompany their war OF terror.  DHS is a top down national law enforcement and security organization. We know this country is slowly devolving into a police state, at least it appears that way.  So now what are they doing, I don't think that's wacky conspiracy theory stuff, I think it's just speculating as to what they're going to do and what their plans for it's use will be.  With our tax dollars.
              Besides, it's fun and better than watching the boob tube.  I think most people have tuned me out anyway so I just ramble on.

by BigAlinWashSt on Sat Jul 06, 2013 at 10:26:05 AM PDT

•  So right after this spying scandal, you still (1+ / 0-)
              Nada Lemming

trust the government to develop new systems for our safety?   OUR safety?

by BigAlinWashSt on Sat Jul 06, 2013 at 10:49:07 AM PDT

•  Emphasizing radio makes a lot of sense... (5+ / 0-)

...when you consider emergency situations in which the power grid might not be working.

Radio transmission (or, more broadly, EM-wave transmission) is the communications technology that is least reliant on external infrastructure in order to function. All you need is a transmitter, a receiver, and batteries to power both of them.

If the phone lines go down and the cell towers and internet switches don't have power (or are otherwise compromised), the radio will keep working.

by JamesGG on Sat Jul 06, 2013 at 10:17:33 AM PDT

•  Radio functions when the power grid is down (1+ / 0-)
          ER Doc

Gas generator: Radio transmitter works.

Battery-powered radios: Citizens can hear teh radio.

Radio is one component of a multi-layered communications system. The more layers, the more technologies, the greater the odds one communications mechanism or another will remain functional.