View Diary: This is Where You Live (95 comments)

•  It wasn't the only problem... (9+ / 0-)

...and certainly not even the most significant one, given that FEMA was being run by a completely unqualified hack, in the name of a party that cannot comprehend the possibility that government could serve any possible function.

But the larger point is that the "emergency situations" in which major infrastructure disruption has occurred while the need for FEMA and other government emergency-response operations to coordinate was greatest, have not been things like Occupy.

They've been situations like Hurricanes Katrina, Andrew, or Isaac, or the earthquakes in Northridge or the Bay Area, or the tornadoes in Joplin or Moore. Those are the actual, real, historical and non-hypothetical situations in which executive orders like this one have come into play—and the situations in which government coordination saves lives.

If this site is really going to go down the road of assuming that government should be presumed oppressive until proven otherwise, and that each and every thing government does has a sinister motive, then it might as well stop calling itself a "Democratic blog" and go full-out Libertarian.

by JamesGG on Sat Jul 06, 2013 at 10:32:04 AM PDT

•  Thank you. n/t (5+ / 0-)

"Compassion is not weakness, and concern for the unfortunate is not socialism." Hubert H. Humphrey

by Onomastic on Sat Jul 06, 2013 at 10:36:45 AM PDT

•  If you really think the first priority of our (3+ / 0-)
      TheMomCat, liberaldemdave, LaEscapee

federal government, and our politicians, is the citizens safety, then do you believe the War OF Terror and U.S. Imperialism, and all the NSA spying is for our safety as well?  The Monsanto Protection Act, for our safety?  How do you know what they're going to develop is for our safety?  I think there's more evidence that the government does not work for our safety and security than there is evidence that it does, at the federal level of course.

"America is the Terror State. The Global War OF Terror is a diabolical instrument of Worldwide conquest."

by BigAlinWashSt on Sat Jul 06, 2013 at 10:47:46 AM PDT

•  If the federal government is as big and lawless... (3+ / 0-)
        Onomastic, Quicklund, ER Doc

...as you seem to think it is, then what makes you think that they wouldn't just shut down the communication grid and squelch all dissent anyway, whether or not this executive order was issued?

And, going back to my above point: If this site's membership is really going to start assuming that nobody in the federal government has the people's best interests at heart, and that all federal government operations should be presumed oppressive until proven otherwise, then this site can no longer be accurately described as progressive, liberal, or Democratic.

Political taxonomy applies the labels of progressive/liberal to people who basically trust the system in something akin to its present configuration and seek to work within that system to improve it. A desire to completely upend the political/economic system as a whole, in political taxonomy, is more typical of radicals or reactionaries—such as libertarians or greens.

by JamesGG on Sat Jul 06, 2013 at 11:22:43 AM PDT

•  Understand. I'm just an unknown person, the (2+ / 0-)
          liberaldemdave, LaEscapee

site's owner and management should insure the site meets their objectives.  I have no problem with that.
          And just to be clear, I'm a retired fed govt employee, 30 years and retired at the GS-13 level.  So I don't think the entire federal government is big and lawless, I think parts of it are corrupted,

by BigAlinWashSt on Sat Jul 06, 2013 at 11:39:45 AM PDT

•  I'm not seeing (1+ / 0-)
          BigAlinWashSt

where anybody said that "nobody in the federal government has the people's best interests at heart," or that "that all federal government operations should be presumed oppressive until proven otherwise, ".

What I see is people saying go in with eyes wide open and acceptance of what we are told as fact is dangerous.

There are no sacred cows.

by LaEscapee on Sat Jul 06, 2013 at 12:57:40 PM PDT

•  Has FEMA ever done one good act? Simple question. (1+ / 0-)
        ER Doc