View Diary: Literal Translation of Snark Considered Controversial on Daily Kos (158 comments)

•  Um, no. I simply made the following points: (4+ / 0-)
    artmartin, Musial, Christin, Jeff Simpson
    1.  Add some value to a diary beyond bringing attention to an MSM article.
    2.  Include some original thought beyond that in the article or by some other authority.
    3.  Derive your own conclusions rather than merely echoing prevailing narratives.
    4.  Don't pander to insider status with shout-outs and shibboleths.
    5.  Don't try to distract potential criticism by loading up on extraneous material.
    You're simply reacting to the form of what was said rather than the content, which is part of the problem.

Sign the petition to demand a law-abiding Supreme Court.

by Troubadour on Sun Jul 07, 2013 at 06:31:04 AM PDT

•  Form follows function, Troubadour. (15+ / 0-)

That diary was just a bit... oh, I dunno... dismissive?

But you knew that, right?

It ain't called paranoia - when they're really out to get you. 6 points.

by Jaime Frontero on Sun Jul 07, 2013 at 06:36:17 AM PDT

•  Not all are capable (5+ / 0-)

I agree that it would be wonderful if authors and commenters could add intellectual value, do some original thinking, reach valid conclusions based on the available evidence, and refrain from pandering.

But the reality is this is a public forum on the internet.  Most of what you find on the internet is crap, pure and simple.  We are blessed with some great thinkers and some greater writers here at dkos.  But the majority here are not great thinkers or writers.  For some here, copying and pasting is the best they can do.  Some here can not even accurately repeat the facts of a published news story.

This is America, after all, where 44% of the population believes that angels exist; where pro wrestling is the lowest common denominator.

If you are going to publish your articles here and participate in discussions, you have to accept the fact that not everyone is at your level, or can meet your standards.

"The fool doth think he is wise: the wise man knows himself to be a fool" - W. Shakespeare

by Hugh Jim Bissell on Sun Jul 07, 2013 at 07:59:01 AM PDT

•  I have to recognize that, but "accept" it? (1+ / 0-)
        GAS

No - I do not have to accept that.  I don't have to accept that human beings in general are dumb, or that Americans are dumb, or that the people who now frequent this website are dumb.  I will nard-kick every last stupid bastard on the face of this Earth until the capacity for a third IQ digit is imprinted in their genome, because the alternative is to let them to do that to us until we're all as dumb as them.  I will fight the Morans up, down, and all around because there's still just one planet available.

Sign the petition to demand a law-abiding Supreme Court.

by Troubadour on Sun Jul 07, 2013 at 08:19:26 AM PDT

•  Acceptance only necessary for peace of mind (6+ / 0-)

You are correct that you don't have to accept.  Acceptance is only necessary if you want peace of mind.  The alternative to acceptance is alienation and upset, and you are free to choose that path if you want.

Someone wiser than myself once told me that anytime I am angry or fearful or upset, the problem is with me, not "out there".  This has been very difficult for me to understand, accept, and practice: as often as not I refuse to accept and practice this.  When I do, I am blessed with peace of mind.  When I fight against this teaching, I have instead my anger, fear, upset, etc.

In truth, I have no power to change the morans.  I only have the power to change how I react to the morans.

by Hugh Jim Bissell on Sun Jul 07, 2013 at 08:48:58 AM PDT

•  That's true. But then it's also true (1+ / 0-)
            GAS

that pacifism doesn't end violence - it just passes the buck.  There is patience that teaches intelligence, and then patience that rewards stupidity.  It doesn't take special knowledge to see the line has been crossed when lies have the same if not greater social force than facts simply because they make people feel a certain way.  That's not liberal.  That's psychotic.

Sign the petition to demand a law-abiding Supreme Court.

by Troubadour on Sun Jul 07, 2013 at 09:04:06 AM PDT