View Diary: "They Like Sticking It To The United States" (330 comments)

•  Oh, Mouse... (2+ / 0-)
    MrJayTee, corvo

...it's ok.  Have a joint and join me in the garden.

all experience hath shewn, that mankind are more disposed to suffer, while evils are sufferable, than to right themselves by abolishing the forms to which they are accustomed.

by 4kedtongue on Sun Jul 07, 2013 at 05:43:34 PM PDT

•  Ever read Felice Picano's (2+ / 0-)
      corvo, 4kedtongue

Like People in History?

The sooner we become one nation among many, tending our own garden, the sooner we become truly exceptional.

by MrJayTee on Sun Jul 07, 2013 at 05:48:15 PM PDT

•  No, but I'm intrigued by the title. (2+ / 0-)
        corvo, MrJayTee

Googling now.

by 4kedtongue on Sun Jul 07, 2013 at 05:49:20 PM PDT

•  And Amazon-ing now... (2+ / 0-)
          corvo, MrJayTee

...thanks for the rec!

by 4kedtongue on Sun Jul 07, 2013 at 05:51:14 PM PDT

•  You're more than welcome. (1+ / 0-)
            4kedtongue

At first I didn't like some of the characters much, didn't know where the story was going...and then it hit me.  I wish there were some way I could read it again for the first time.

by MrJayTee on Sun Jul 07, 2013 at 06:08:37 PM PDT

•  no, no, no! (2+ / 0-)
      4kedtongue, MrJayTee

I want to have Mouse, not be Mouse.

At least the Mouse in the first miniseries. :-)

But I'd more than settle for regular teas with Anna Madrigal.

Really, I'm Mary Ann Singleton, except with the wrong plumbing and without her ambition.

Dogs from the street can have all the desirable qualities that one could want from pet dogs. Most adopted stray dogs are usually humble and exceptionally faithful to their owners as if they are grateful for this kindness. -- H.M. Bhumibol Adulyadej

by corvo on Sun Jul 07, 2013 at 05:53:04 PM PDT

•  Mary Ann minus the ambition... (3+ / 0-)
        MrJayTee, corvo, jayden

...is preferable to Mary Ann with the ambition.  Fell in love with Laura Linney after that -- have seen everything she's been in.

And at the risk of hijacking my own diary, I met Armistead Maupin once n a bar here in the city.  I bought him a drink and he regaled me with a story about being Linney's Oscar date the year she was nominated.  She lost to Julia Roberts that year, and when seeing each other at an after party (I think he said Vanity Fair), Linney approached Roberts to introduce herslef and congratulate her on her win.

Linney, approaching Roberts and extending hand:  "Hi, I'm Laura Linney..."

Roberts, less than cordial:  "I know who you are."

Now I liked Erin Brockovich, but I couldn't STAND to see Julia Roberts after hearing that story.

He was very gracious to give me the time of day, HUGE fan that I am!

by 4kedtongue on Sun Jul 07, 2013 at 06:02:09 PM PDT

•  Well, Mary Ann came out all right in the end. (2+ / 0-)
          4kedtongue, MrJayTee

I don't know if you were beaming through tears on the last page of Mary Ann in Autumn, but I certainly was.  Heck, just add a dog, and I'm emotional jello anyway (see my sig . . .).

by corvo on Sun Jul 07, 2013 at 06:07:32 PM PDT