View Diary: Daily Kos Elections Live Digest: 7/8 (421 comments)

•  Eliot Spitzer running for NYC Comptroller (7+ / 0-)

At this point I kinda hope both he and Weiner win just to shove it in the faces of the likes of Breitbart and other Republicans who were complicit in their falls. I mean if Mark fucking Sanford can flee the country on Father's Day and lie about it and still qualify for federal office ("family values" lol) then both Spitzer and Weiner certainly qualify for city office.

I only wish it was as easy to make Spitzer jokes as it is to make Weiner jokes.

Gay suburbanite in NJ-11. Rush Holt for Senate!

by interstate73 on Mon Jul 08, 2013 at 06:58:27 AM PDT

•  Don't agree... (11+ / 0-)

I don't honestly see how you can blame the Republicans for either Spitzer or Weiner - they both need to share the vast majority of the blame for what happened to them.

See David's comment above about Spitzer. My own take: Spitzer was a great AG, but a disaster as a governor, although there was still time to right that ship before he resigned. But honestly, given Spitzer's aggressiveness as AG, it looked worse for him when it turned out he himself was breaking the law.

I blame the Republicans for quite a bit, but not these guys.

•  While I understand the sentiment... (1+ / 0-)
      Zack from the SFV

...all politics is local.

What you know of Anthony Weiner is that he was a great polemicist that would give Democratic religion on MSNBC.  In terms of NYC politics he is running to the right of most of the field.  I don't know if even Quinn is as supportive of Bloomberg's educational policies.

Elliot Spitzer was pegged about right above.  Though perhaps it would be better to say he was a more liberal and more partisan Andrew Cuomo.  He got what he wanted by shoving it down peoples throats and made enemies left and right.  In particular there was some bizarre stuff he was pulling with the Republicans involving state troopers and spying.  But like Cuomo he was more respected than loved.  And the corollary to Machiavelli's "it's better to be feared than loved" is that if you are loathed you'll be lynched the first time you're seen as weak.  And virtually the entire government and entire press corp literally danced on his grave from the start.  Even lionizing the hapless Paterson who turned into his own disaster.

He'd actually be a good comptroller.  The problem is Scott Stringer literally has the support of everyone.  In fact you could argue that he should've stayed in the mayor's race.  Liu is weakened by the whole fundraising scandal and it would not have necessarily been that hard for Scott to steal the liberal reform Democratic banner that Liu has been carrying by default.

Stringer had the comptroller's race to himself because he was so strong, not because he was vulnerable.  Though you can't discount Spitzer in a down ballot race for an office that most voters don't know exists never mind know the candidates in.  Of course given low turnout and the activist heavy nature of off year primaries that electorate will be more aware than a general the public.

The lady was enchanted and said they ought to see. So they charged her with subversion and made her watch TV -Spirogyra

by Taget on Mon Jul 08, 2013 at 01:42:05 PM PDT

•  Nobody forced Spitzer to be a hypocritical douche (0+ / 0-)

Mr. Gorbachev, establish an Electoral College!

by tommypaine on Mon Jul 08, 2013 at 02:27:06 PM PDT

•  Oh dear (1+ / 0-)
      PassionateJus

Although this will be damn entertaining if Kristen Davis is actually the Libertarian nominee for this race. I would pay serious money to watch that debate.

I am a Tom Rukavina Democrat

by OGGoldy on Mon Jul 08, 2013 at 03:22:26 PM PDT

•  I'd vote for Davis over Spitzer (0+ / 0-)

If I lived in NY and my choices were Davis or Spitzer I'd vote for her.

Even though I rarely vote Libertarian I do believe that prostitution should be legalized and, like drugs, dealt with as a health issue and not as a moral/ law enforcement issue  (I actually have a few friends who are high-end escorts and having it legalized would protect them). Spitzer built a career in part as a prosecutor going after prostitution rings. In my world that makes him a huge hypocrite.

I almost always vote Democrat but a few years ago I voted Libertarian in the race for WA State Lt Governor. The incumbent is Brad Owen, an anti abortion Democrat who's biggest issue is trying to bust marijuana smokers. I wasn't ever going to vote for him.

•  From Sex and the City??? (1+ / 0-)
        sapelcovits

Really?

You don't fight the fights you can win. You fight the fights that need fighting. -President Andrew Sheppard (D-Wisconsin)

by Gpack3 on Tue Jul 09, 2013 at 08:19:44 AM PDT

•  I agree with this qualification (1+ / 0-)
      MetroGnome

There are many Democrats who need to learn the lesson that they apparently failed to learn in the late 90s: a sex scandal, without more, should have no bearing on fitness for office.

Ok, so I read the polls.

by andgarden on Mon Jul 08, 2013 at 04:41:16 PM PDT

•  What (0+ / 0-)

should be is not a lesson to learn; it's a moral opinion.  And I firmly disagree with your opinion.

20, CA-18 (home), CA-13 (school)
        politicohen.com
        Love the class war, hate identity politics and purism
        UC Berkeley; I think I'm in the conservative half of this city. -.4.12, -4.92

by jncca on Mon Jul 08, 2013 at 05:39:45 PM PDT

•  What other lesson could you possibly learn (0+ / 0-)

from the Lewinsky "scandal"?

I hate to pull the age card here, but I fear I must. I believe you are just a bit too young to remember that the moral fervor started with Clinton (and was sustained for some time) in the same way as it did recently for Weiner, Spitzer, and yes, Sanford.

Sanford's scandal involved deep hypocrisy (as, to a lesser degree, did Spitzer's), but even the Republican managed to return to office. Clinton's popularity, of course, rebounded. It has stayed strong.

Your "moral opinion" (which I "firmly disagree" with) is not the one that has been reflected at the ballot box.

Ok, so I read the polls.

by andgarden on Mon Jul 08, 2013 at 05:47:43 PM PDT

•  No (0+ / 0-)
            a sex scandal, without more, should have no bearing on fitness for office.
            I agree that is has little to no bearing on the election results, but you can't state unilaterally that is should have no bearing.

20, CA-18 (home), CA-13 (school)
            politicohen.com
            Love the class war, hate identity politics and purism
            UC Berkeley; I think I'm in the conservative half of this city. -.4.12, -4.92

by jncca on Mon Jul 08, 2013 at 05:56:44 PM PDT

•  The Problem Is That There Is Something More (0+ / 0-)

Hypocrisy.

Spitzer made a name for himself in part by prosecuting prostitution rings; and not only just because he was following the law but because he was actually crusading against prostitution rings.

At the same time he was seeing prostitutes.

His downfall was not just a sex scandal.

•  Also, solicitation is a crime. (0+ / 0-)

Let's not forget that.