View Diary: Daily Kos Elections Live Digest: 7/8 (421 comments)

•  Don't see Bustos getting lazy like Hare (0+ / 0-)

I remember Sao Magnifico feeling down about her chances last year.

"You are not machines! You are not cattle! You are men! You have the love of humanity in your hearts. You don't hate! Only the unloved hate — the unloved and the unnatural!" -Charlie Chaplin

by KingofSpades on Mon Jul 08, 2013 at 09:26:40 AM PDT

•  I don't think Hare was lazy so much as (8+ / 0-)

he was just a bad candidate (and the incredibly weak statewide ticket in 2010 didn't help). He got on the ballot in 2006 after Lane Evans withdrew, leaving the Republicans to contest the election with a retread candidate, then he was unopposed in 2008. 2010 was the first serious campaign he had to run.

•  This brilliantly gerrymandered (1+ / 0-)
        KingofSpades

version of the district is also substantially more Democratic than the previous one was.

"Once, many, many years ago I thought I was wrong. Of course it turned out I had been right all along. But I was wrong to have thought I was wrong." -John Foster Dulles. My Political Compass Score: -4.00, -3.69, Proud member of DKE

by ArkDem14 on Mon Jul 08, 2013 at 10:25:01 AM PDT

•  And cleaner too, to boot. (0+ / 0-)

No tentacle that goes through Springfield to Decatur like a kebab stick.  It loses Quincy (which Lane Evans liked, I think) and absorbs Rockford.

by KingofSpades on Mon Jul 08, 2013 at 11:00:18 AM PDT

•  Also, it scooped up Peoria (0+ / 0-)

to Rep. Schock's chagrin.

by KingofSpades on Mon Jul 08, 2013 at 11:04:57 AM PDT

•  Yeah, Quincy is solid R (3+ / 0-)

Which has always struck me as kind of odd, since basically every other Mississippi River city of any consequence is a blue outpost, probably thanks to the union jobs and relative diversity that came with riparian commerce. (Unless you consider Cape Girardeau, MO to be of consequence, I suppose.) Any of our commenters have any special insight into what made Quincy go the other direction?

Editor, Daily Kos Elections.

by David Jarman on Mon Jul 08, 2013 at 11:37:46 AM PDT

•  I don't consider Quincy (2+ / 0-)
              kman23, ArkDem14

a city of any consequence whatsoever, so I think that basically supports the assertion that all cities of consequence on the Mississippi are blue bastions.

23 Burkean Post Modern Gay Democrat; NM-2 (Raised), TX-20 (B.A. & M.A. in Political Science), TX-17 (Home); 08/12 PVIs

by wwmiv on Mon Jul 08, 2013 at 11:42:08 AM PDT

•  Quincy (1+ / 0-)
              David Jarman

Quincy has had a string of Democratic Mayors recently, only to see that change due to a failed hydro power project that wasn't completely the fault of former Mayor John Spring.

I take offense to the idea that forty thousand citizens (as was said down thread) have no electoral significance.    It may be because I know a ton of people from this area of the country.

Phil Hare just got caught saying some things that were easily exploitable.  He wasn't lazy per se, he just got caught up in the storm of 2010.

IA-2 Born, raised, currently reside.

by BoswellSupporter on Mon Jul 08, 2013 at 12:53:28 PM PDT

•  Kurt Schrader is from a city of 15,000 tops (2+ / 0-)
                BoswellSupporter, ArkDem14

it's possible to be small and of consequence.

by James Allen on Mon Jul 08, 2013 at 05:58:54 PM PDT