View Diary: Julian Assange Spills the Beans --> PRISM (200 comments)

•  May have been the case six years ago (7+ / 0-)

I firmly believe they're hoovering (interesting choice of term, I know) up all the emails and such because while something wasn't possible six years ago, ever more powerful computers and ever more powerful programs can crack these encrypted items eventually and if they have them in storage, there's no problem to produce a warrant to a friendly FISA judge to go back and look at things when they want to.  So what may have been safe six years ago might be five minutes of cracking now.  What's safe now might take five minutes in a few years.  I think that's a pretty safe assumption.

•  Currently, I am using a Tor Browser and CryptoChat (12+ / 0-)

Anonymized encrypted traffic....for the most banal of chats with friends.

All encrypted traffic, just to waste the NSAs time and my tax dollars. If they are going to spy on me, I am making them work for it. If I am paying for it...well, at least I get to spend some of it on myself.

Put an OS on your router that doesn't use NSA-based encryption AND reports all outside originating inbound traffic.

It doesn't matter how hard you try to hide, they will save it for later. They have access (thus, ownership) of the hardware that routes all traffic.

The point is that our government needs to be snapped out of the secrecy bullshit. If they were open and honest (and legally required to be so), and focus on real threats (heart disease, cancer, hunger, texting while driving) that kill more Americans each year than any terrorist could ever hope to kill, we would be better off.

The hyper-scary bogeymen that they are fighting can't even compete with the death toll from texting while driving!

Fucking cowards hiding behind National Secrets!

Another flaw in the human character is that everybody wants to build and nobody wants to do maintenance. Kurt Vonnegut

by ToKnowWhy on Mon Jul 08, 2013 at 10:47:23 AM PDT

•  You DO know that..... (5+ / 0-)
        Nothing stops the operators of PRISM from operating TOR exit nodes

You have no way of positively identifying which exit node is under the control of the entities you are trying to hide from

SSL traffic CAN be (and is known to have been) intercepted and decrypted under certain conditions (think M-i-M) which are similar to what is being described here

The gist of this particular diary is that the entities in question have unfettered access to the platforms in question

In the legal interpretation of these entities, the mere act of using encryption reduces the level of legal protection that your communication can be afforded - you see, because the communication is encrypted, they can't tell that it has ANY constitutional protection unless (and UNTIL) they have been able to peek in first to determine that fact

I sure hope that you know these things. In light of what we are reading and hearing about these things, it'd be a disservice to your reader to offer them some measure of "safety" where none exists.
      •  Golf Cart accidents kill more American each year (3+ / 0-)
        JohnnyBoston, ColoTim, ToKnowWhy

than terrorists do. I can't actually find a citation for that but wouldn't be surprised if it was true.

Reaganomics noun pl: belief that government is bad, that it can increase revenue by decreasing revenue, and unregulated capitalism can provide unlimited goods for unlimited people on a planet with finite resources.

by FrY10cK on Mon Jul 08, 2013 at 12:10:33 PM PDT

•  I'm also looking at firmware for my router. (0+ / 0-)

So far I'm favoring Tomato over DD-WRT.

by FrY10cK on Mon Jul 08, 2013 at 12:11:41 PM PDT

•  I have recently started sharing (1+ / 0-)
          FrY10cK

My wifi hotspot from my truck, using Legitimate WiFi as the SSID with no key and a Tomato Build for logging...makes being a soccer dad very fun.

by ToKnowWhy on Mon Jul 08, 2013 at 02:31:46 PM PDT

•  Sorry for my dunderheadedness. (0+ / 0-)

I've put custom firmware on my old (now defunct) Linksys router but I'm definitely not a router (or Linux) expert.

Is it the snooping on wifi traffic that is fun? No disrespect intended. Seriously.

I've been thinking about mesh networks a lot lately and how ordinary people with low power machines (new low power CPU's powered by a small solar PV panel) could keep the internet free from a gov't gone out of control of the people it is supposed to serve.

There's also digital signals via Ham radio (analog baud rate slow if I recall correctly) and SDR (Software Defined Radio).

I'm obviously out of my depth here but I'm looking at options to keep communication free as my gov't descends into what Der Spiegel called "soft totalitarianism."

by FrY10cK on Mon Jul 08, 2013 at 03:11:34 PM PDT

•  It is nice to have a wifi connect (0+ / 0-)

Everywhere you go. I like to play with packets of data. I was an infrastucture guy.

The folks that use my connection to get out to the internet are all safe.

We have many very talented kids in our bedroom community for the Silicon Valley.

I play with the kids that try to hack into the router and take control.

I learn new techniques of forced entry and ways to dodge their attacks.

On the topic of SDR: I love that stuff! I was a big ham and scanner listener back when I was home bedridden as a kid. SDR gives me decrypting and modulation tweaking on the fly.

I have a few remote units set about town that give me a 3D radiomagnetic landscape of my area. With a frequency halver and doubler, I am able to cover almost all radio communications in the area.

All from a few little $50 USB dongles and some Raspberry Pi!

by ToKnowWhy on Mon Jul 15, 2013 at 07:55:56 AM PDT

•  Also, I selected the ASUS RT-N16 (0+ / 0-)

as my new router because I plan to flash it with Tomato firmware.

by FrY10cK on Mon Jul 08, 2013 at 03:19:22 PM PDT

•  Yes, indeed. (2+ / 0-)
      New Minas, ColoTim
      As I understand it, that's one of the main reasons behind that huge center in Utah.

Still, I suspect that it will be quite a long time, if ever, before the NSA achieves the capability to do mass decryption of all the collected data.  If, however, you become "interesting" to the security apparatus, they can go back, search the unencrypted metadata, and then focus their decrypting power on individual items.

We must drive the special interests out of politics.… There can be no effective control of corporations while their political activity remains. To put an end to it will neither be a short not an easy task, but it can be done. -- Teddy Roosevelt

by NoMoJoe on Mon Jul 08, 2013 at 11:58:16 AM PDT

• Republicans (29)
  • Climate Change (27)
  • Spam (23)
  • Education (23)
  • Congress (23)
  • Civil Rights (22)
  • Trans-Pacific Partnership (21)
  • Labor (21)
  • Barack Obama (21)
  • Texas (20)
  • Law (20)
  • Click here for the mobile view of the site